Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Somehow we have bred a strain of very selfish people that do not believe they have any obligation to anyone else. They also seem to suffer from the delusion that if they work real hard and kiss the correct arses they will someday be mega millionaires. Some just have to wait until Daddy dies.

The result is they oppose any spending on people poorer than they and any taxation on the people they expect to be. I count them a deluded short sighted and selfish RWA’s or NJ’s if we are being polite. I regret having to share my country with people like this. They really need to be subject to an all encompassing military draft in order to understand that they are not the only people in the country.

I think a social safety net should include enough money and medical care that a person can survive without having to humiliate themselves by begging for a job. If we can have thousands living on inherited wealth why shouldn’t that wealth be applied to all of us not just a selected few? Having such a safety net would allow people to actually make the best of themselves even if what they did was not profitable.

A social safety net is like a trapeze artist working with a net. They will always try the more difficult because failure will not mean dying. Without the net they will not be as risky. I believe the same applies to business. Many more people will try business if they are not risking their or their family’s health and welfare.
Translation...."I have no ambition."

Noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I hear the same song from the left over and over again...."You want to do this or that on the backs of the poor!".

Cut medicaid, SSI, Food Stamps, Welfare, WIC and SCHIP.

Allowing people to fend for themselves would create a better society.

Two generations and we'll all be better.

Ehhhh... How about the far far far right wingnuts who feel they own other people's genitals? I mean, how can they control something that wasn't even theirs to begin with?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's just common sense, you are sounding obtuse. Ever been to the circus, and watched the high-wire act or the trapeze act? A safety net catches you when you fall, you don't live in it, you eventually climb out of it and get back on your feet.
Failed analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Actualy you seem to want to make it so complicated. Its realy quite simple. If ya cant afford to feed kids, dont have them. Why do democrats struggle with this one so much
And if the kids are already here. What do you propose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Nope , and my parents stopped having kids when they knew they wouldn't be able to afford anymore.
Big whoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Since most poor renters spend at least half their income on rent, I keep saying that they need a free market in which they are allowed to buy homes they can afford.

This will allow them to stabilize their housing costs in the short run, decrease their cost burden in the long run, and facilitate their ability to build wealth, of which they currently have none.

The bloated food stamp rolls are a function of extreme rent burdens borne by the poor.
Right. People who can't afford to buy enough food to eat can save up for a down payment on a house. Not in this world.

Quote:
I suggest you read the Constitution.

The high infant mortality rate was due to health practices of the time, not poverty.
Why do lefties always assume that we conservatives are FOR corporate welfare?
See post #98. The main cause of infant mortality is prematurity. Prematurity is majorly affected by not having enough to eat, inadequate prenatal care, both of which are correlated to poverty.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
The progressive "sit on your ass and wait for a check" program isn't working, as evidenced by the fact that poverty continues to spread year over year.
Absolutely false:

Not to mention the fact that there's a whole wide world of evidence to the contrary. In some countries, after a well oiled social safety net was set up, poverty rates dropped from 20-30% to single digits.

If the United States didn't IMPORT poverty (done mostly to the benefit of short sighted, greedy capitalists seeking dirt cheap labor), the poverty rate in America would also probably plummet like a rock. I wonder what the numbers of "childhood poverty" would be in this country if we took out all children of illegals, lured here by the free market offering them minimum wage or less jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale
Filter all spending through the Constitution and you'll be surprised how fast we balance the budget.

I love how people pretend as if there aren't valid and competing theories for interpretation of the Constitution. Over 200 years of scholarly analysis (by people actually trained in constitutional law) and case based, constitutional interpretation hasn't settled the issue, yet the internets will, right?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a little more difficult way, though it still lets me stay in this country:

1). Live on unincorporated land (poof! no local taxes) (in progress)

2). Remove all investments from my name (blind trusts), and place them offshore. (poof!)

You won't be getting any complaints from me

Actually, then I could go on welfare, living assistance, food stamps, unemployment.... Ahhh.... life is good. I think I need a cigar.

(Actually, I only complain about one thing, and that is if you incur expenses based on your behavior, it is not my responsibility to pay for them).
It is an open secret that living in most townships lowers your taxes, property taxes and income taxes. I've been there for 35 years. Nothing wrong with taking steps to lower your tax bite. Do be aware that when a township doesn't provide a service, YOU will. Trash hauling? On you. Drinking water? On you. Septic system? On you. All and all I havent saved that much on those services, the upfront costs can be a barrier for most. If I didn't DIY my septic system it would have cost as much as my dad's first home.

Of course, the further off the grid you go the more you'll spend for those freebies you get now. Paved roads, gas mains, electricity and other utilities at the road.

Hey, but don't worry, we'll pay to protect the borders and this country for you. You check out on your duties as an American and someone will step up.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I just wanna one see one hard conservative admit that hungry kids is OK with them. Instead we hear how private charity will take over. um yea. no they wont. They might expand but they will miss more than the safety net. As for changing it, perhaps. Some programs are very very corrupt (SSI comes to mind) and should be amended. But I am talking to the cut all programs crowd.

Cmon, just one of you uber conservatives. Admit it. I just wanna see one conservative who has some *****.
It won't happen...there's a few on here I'd like to see go without food for a month due to circumstances beyond their control...might be a little attitude adjustment take place for a few idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Glad to make you feel better about yourself. If in your mind opposing communism is unpatriotic then please do enjoy your own private little world.
Yes,from the posts I've read of your's,you are a big time commie fightin' patriot all right.

Last edited by Swampmonster; 03-06-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Ehhhh... How about the far far far right wingnuts who feel they own other people's genitals? I mean, how can they control something that wasn't even theirs to begin with?
Huh?

We conservatives couldn't care less about someone elses "genitals", or what you do with them.

Take responsibility for YOUR actions with them....don't expect others to take responsibility for YOUR choices....that's all.

In other words, if YOU wish to engage in sexual activity, YOU own that responsibility, right?

YOU own the responsibility for protection.

YOU also own the consequences of those actions.

The gay community actually blamed Reagan for AIDS!

Talk about "wingnuts"!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Huh?

We conservatives couldn't care less about someone elses "genitals", or what you do with them.

Take responsibility for YOUR actions with them....don't expect others to take responsibility for YOUR choices....that's all.

In other words, if YOU wish to engage in sexual activity, YOU own that responsibility, right?

YOU own the responsibility for protection.

YOU also own the consequences of those actions.

The gay community actually blamed Reagan for AIDS!

Talk about "wingnuts"!
Reagan didn't start AIDS,but he sure screwed the country so much I'm shocked he didn't get it.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
I hear the same song from the left over and over again...."You want to do this or that on the backs of the poor!".

Cut medicaid, SSI, Food Stamps, Welfare, WIC and SCHIP.

Allowing people to fend for themselves would create a better society.

Two generations and we'll all be better.
How can a constitution be written enumerating the rights of a selective class of white males at the expense of all others in said nation?

"Rights" means the right to enslave all others carrying white hetero male luggage around? "Rights" as in abolishing the rights of others to defend themselves? "Rights" as in corporations dodging accountability for negative consequences by socializing the losses to human beings? Human beings sacrificed to the betterment and protection of the machine?

Allowing the Amish, and elderly, and infants to fend for themselves; what a hero you are!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Absolutely false:

Not to mention the fact that there's a whole wide world of evidence to the contrary. In some countries, after a well oiled social safety net was set up, poverty rates dropped from 20-30% to single digits.

If the United States didn't IMPORT poverty (done mostly to the benefit of short sighted, greedy capitalists seeking dirt cheap labor), the poverty rate in America would also probably plummet like a rock. I wonder what the numbers of "childhood poverty" would be in this country if we took out all children of illegals, lured here by the free market offering them minimum wage or less jobs?

I love how people pretend as if there aren't valid and competing theories for interpretation of the Constitution. Over 200 years of scholarly analysis (by people actually trained in constitutional law) and case based, constitutional interpretation hasn't settled the issue, yet the internets will, right?
Constitutional conservatives argue the actual meaning and original intent of the constitution.

Lefties ONLY talk about case law, or SC interpretation, which means absolutely nothing due to the fact that the SCOTUS doesn't have constitutional authority to interpret the Constitution.

Here are the power provided in the Constitution of the SC......

Article III. Section. 1.
The judicial Power of the United States shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.
Section. 2.
The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;--to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;--to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;--to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;--to Controversies between two or more States;-- between a State and Citizens of another State,--between Citizens of different States,--between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.
In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.
The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.
Section. 3.
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies