Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
1) Shouldn't the poor work to improve their own situation?

2) How is my success ties to their failures?

3) My tax dollars aren't enough?

4) My tax dollars paid for their educational opportunities, if they didn't take advantage of that opportunity I'm responsible again!?

5) The poor created their own communities.
1) The poor do work in this country. If your referring to the unemployed, then your referring to all classes because ALL classes are currently having troubles finding employment. The poor that I work with on a daily basis work from 6am-2:30pm everyday meat packing. Hardly any of their wages are enough for them to support a basic living in these current economic times. Many work more than 1 job to support their families.

2) You are NOT solely responsible for your own success. I can elaborate if needed.

3) Yes your tax dollars are enough. What many posters are calling for is higher taxation on the wealthy in this country. Some also might be calling for less military spending and more nation building right here in the good ol US of A. We spend billions funding other countries, but everyone is up in arms when we choose to help our own.

4) My ancestors are the reason we have the country that we do now. They worked for free (African) and gave you the land (Cherokee) so that you could acquire your wealth. On another note, have you seen some of the schools in this country? Do you know there were over 50 high school students killed in Chicago a few years back?

Some kids in this country are more concerned about staying alive than homework. May I ask your ethnicity and socio-economic background or am I overstepping my boundaries??

5) Simply not true. Don't even know where to start with this assanine statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Thanks, you just made the case on why we need a safety net. Sure, you're not under a LEGAL obligation to hire the less capable, nobody is. That is the point, nobody is "OBLIGATED" to hire them, most like you won't. You are only in it for yourself and screw everything that might hinder YOUR success. The old f**k them all but six (pallbearers) mentality.

This has nothing to do with my success (though that is a fringe benefit). It has to do with the success of a company, which is good for the USA. I want this country strong. If my company fails, then I have failed, for many people would be without jobs.

Good for you, be a greedy prick with no moral compass.

I am not in this for me. I am in this for the good of the nation. I don't need the money (I take no salary). My moral compass is more accurate than a GPS. Let's go back to one of the previous posts, and see who is more greedy... I hate tit-for-tat, but what fraction of everything you have earned goes to charity? I'll give you 100-1 odds that you will lose (ties don't count) that question.

Those that have compassion for other will hire as many of your rejects as we can. After that we will defend the safety net from creeps that take but don't give back.

Interesting. All I do is give. Step up to the plate and do the same.
mine in red

Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
A permanent safety net does nothing but weaken a nation and create a permanent underclass dependent upon the give-me-ment. It's no different than legalized slavery.

Nobody benefits in a nation where 1 in 8 are on food stamps. Nobody benefits in a nation where millions are on unemployment for two years while millions of illegals work the jobs Americans used to do before they became the jobs "Americans just won't do."

Big Food benefits when 1 in 8 are on food stamps.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
If one employer has a tax abatement deal and pays zero property tax, isn't he getting a govrrnment funded competitive advantage over other employers that don't have that subsidy?

They're just being allowed to keep more of what they earn.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then shift the programs to the States. I'm not asking that you completely forgo your social welfare programs, I'm just asking that you transfer 100% control to the States.

I'll rephrase, if yo want my support for social welfare programs, then shut down the federal government and transfer those programs to the State and let the people of each State decide how they are run.

It's just common sense.

As one who lived for years in a town that has tried very hard (and increasingly successfully) to get rid of poor people like myself ("vote with their feet") and who has followed NIMBY policies far and wide, I absolutely do not trust states and local governments with any social welfare programs.

It's in the best interests of each State to attract wealthy residents and to repel poor residents. Do you expect them to do anything less?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They're just being allowed to keep more of what they earn.
Exactly, at the expense of everyone else. When a user of city services doesn't pay for those services the burden of paying for those services is shifted to everyone else.

Look a Jcpenneys new sales policy. Instead of some paying full price and some getting highly discounted sale prices, they have averaged out that pricing dynamic and they lowered the price for everyone.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Even the working poor, minimum wage grunts, pay a healthy share of their income toward taxes. 25% to 30% or more."

That's a knee-slapper.

Look up the numbers. 45% of households owe no federal income tax for 2010 - Apr. 17, 2011

A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays $1600+ annually in federal taxes ($500+ FIT, $1100+ payroll taxes), or approx 11% of his gross income.

At one time I also paid 4.4% state income tax, 6% state sales tax, and (based on the amount of property taxes embedded in my rent) 8% of my income in property taxes (including a steep nonhomestead tax on rental property).

So I was paying in the neighborhood of 25% of my income in taxes.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
As one who lived for years in a town that has tried very hard (and increasingly successfully) to get rid of poor people like myself ("vote with their feet") and who has followed NIMBY policies far and wide, I absolutely do not trust states and local governments with any social welfare programs.

It's in the best interests of each State to attract wealthy residents and to repel poor residents. Do you expect them to do anything less?
Yep, the wingnut fix is to create a new migratory work force that is hunting for those elusive jobs and an even more elusive safety net. The race to the bottom. Leave it to the states and the red states would cut aid and the flood into the remaining aid states would dwarf the dust bowl migration.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Bump. ^^ Great Posts

Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays $1600+ annually in federal taxes ($500+ FIT, $1100+ payroll taxes), or approx 11% of his gross income.

At one time I also paid 4.4% state income tax, 6% state sales tax, and (based on the amount of property taxes embedded in my rent) 8% of my income in property taxes (including a steep nonhomestead tax on rental property).

So I was paying in the neighborhood of 25% of my income in taxes.
You missed all sorts of other taxes you pay.

Gasoline taxes on every gallon you buy... Maybe 50 cents a gallon.

Excise taxes on you utility bills.

License fees, marriage and drivers licenses and plates.

Sin taxes, taxes on booze and tobacco.

Tolls for roads, bridges and tunnels.

Usage fees, park fees, museum fees.

Here is a list that might have some I missed

List of taxes paid by Americans......Are you still under their spell? | Talk of the Sound

When all is said and done, 40% of your minimum wage pay check may be going toward taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies