Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I can not wait for the contraceptive smack down some idiots are due for. How American politics ever got this scary I'll never know, but we need to clean up our act and fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
I doubt any more are coming on board any time soon. To do so is to open their business for criticism from customers and shareholders, highly unlikely in this climate. Limbaugh is toxic.
I think it has been clearly shown that if Limbaugh is 'toxic' because of his remarks, then obama is a hypocrite for taking a $1 Million donation from Bill Maher.

The people of the United States aren't QUITE so stupid to not understand when a double standard is being applied.

You liberal idiots make me sick with your partisan BS. So obvious and manipulative. You reek of dishonesty.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
I think it has been clearly shown that if Limbaugh is 'toxic' because of his remarks, then obama is a hypocrite for taking a $1 Million donation from Bill Maher.

The people of the United States aren't QUITE so stupid to not understand when a double standard is being applied.

You liberal idiots make me sick with your partisan BS. So obvious and manipulative. You reek of dishonesty.
What does Maher have to do with Limpblubber?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times
You can get birth control for FREE from planned parenthood. There was even a program that gave it to women for a $1 a month

Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:

As disgusting and vile as he can be (and those on the left have criticized him many times for going too far and insulting to others), let me know when Maher has a nationally syndicated radio show and the left circles their wagons around him like the right has done for Rush. Then a double standard can be talked about.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:47 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
You can get birth control for FREE from planned parenthood. There was even a program that gave it to women for a $1 a month
So? These women at Georgetown are paying for an insurance coverage they are required to purchase. Why shouldn't that insurance cover contraceptives?

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about the fact that these women only want the insurance coverage they are already paying for to also provide contraceptive coverage.

Besides, not everywhere has a local Planned Parenthood clinic.

And, if Mittens gets in the White House, he's going to get rid of PP altogether anyway. This is what he said:
Quote:
"Of course you get rid of Obamacare, that's the easy one, but there are others," he said. "Planned Parenthood, we're going to get rid of that."
So, even those women who have access to a PP clinic may not be able to count on it in the future.

Last edited by Cinebar; 03-15-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Most of the articles I read quote radio insiders as saying that Rush will survive this and the advertisers will come back after the controvery dies down. If they were sleazy enough to advertise on Rush before, why not be sleazy enough to advertise there again?
Many were on the show as part of a package of advertising on a station, a group of stations or regional network, they didn't pick the show. It is mostly those folks that are asking to be pulled from the show.

Here, your ads go on shows on the News/Talk station (est 400000 listeners), the todays hits station (800000) and the Doug station (750000)

On the News/Talk station the bulk of the listeners are during morning/evening drive times. Both of those have hosts who are more conversational then confronting.

Last edited by plannine; 03-15-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
40%. The 50% figure comes from only one poll that oversamples Democrats
Do you bother to look things up before you talk? ONE poll has Obama at 41%. The rest average out to about 50%. A good source to check all the current major polls in a neat little list is realclearpolitics.com. It's linked to about once a day on this board, and I linked to it already on this thread.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

EDIT--He's averaging about 47% this afternoon, down from closer to 48% this am.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
Might be a good time to invest in big pharma and insurance companies. Think of all the money they are going to make. Hope big pharma can keep up with the supply because it looks like there is a big demand. And insurance, oh boy,,,definitely some money to be made there! Buy stocks now in makers of birth control and insurance companies!
No kidding, all it takes is for a president to pick something he/she really, really, really likes, and make it a law that all insurance companies must give it away for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 03-15-2012, 05:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:

No, it hasn't not been shown. It is a false equivalency, as Maher has never had any sponsors at all. He is on HBO, and HBO does not advertise for any entity other than HBO.

This has been brought up everywhere, and it's been beaten to death. The reason Maher is on HBO is because he is controversial and cusses- so do many of the comedians who perform on HBO, and the movies they produce also have cussing in them. As a matter of policy, HBO does not endorse anyone's views who is on their channel, nor do they censor any product they show. Maher's comments are all his own.

Limbaugh, on the other hand, is a free over-the-air broadcast, and his show charges advertisers for ads. What he says reflects on his advertisers.

Any citizen with a pottymouth can contribute as much money as they want to a super-pac; there are no restrictions any of the super-pacs make as to clean living and speech for someone who wants to give them money.

Advertisers, on the other hand, have always been cautious when sponsoring any show that is political. Businessmen want to sell their products, and they can pull their contracts at any time they want. That's the free market and capitalism at work.

No double standard here.

Never was one. If you are subscribing to HBO and don't like Maher, you are free to drop HBO any old time you want. I did, years ago. You are perfectly free to boycott HBO if you wish, but don't come on with this BS... it's a dog that don't hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies