Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No one told you that you had to honor anything. If that's the case, i didn't get the memo.

And no one told you that you have to endure hatred for your own culture. You're taking it personally. They don't give a damn about your culture, they just want to preserve their own regardless of how stupid and backwards it might be.

Again, your government wanted to "liberate" these people, didn't they? Well...how ironic, huh?
That's disingenuous and you know it. It's liberals that are constantly harping on how you have to respect diversity and tolerate other cultures, bleh bleh bleh. They insist we accommodate them and not the other way around while spewing hatred for our own damn country.

And last time I checked it was "your" government too, not just mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Atheists getting together really do make me want to puke.
I didn't say that these churches didn't have its defenders much less a dedicated following. Hey, they can get away with ANYTHING... thanks to the "Christians" around here.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 03-06-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
stuff like this pisses me the hell off, I'm an immigrant myself and very pro-immigration (I marched against 1070), but these backwards 12th century mentality idiots give a bad name to immigrants. This is why I oppose Santorum, I don't want any hint of theocracy/shariah taking ahold in America!
I am not an immigrant, but I am very pro-legal immigration. If those immigrating to the US abide by our laws, and come for the same opportunities that everyone (immigrant or not) seeks, I think we become a stronger nation as a result. We may have different cultural backgrounds with different traditions, but as Americans our goals should be the same - the preservation of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The basic problem is under the law of the land they left the father owns the entire family. This daughter was sold to the older guy. When she refused she was revolting against slavery. That was intolerable.

What we must do is tell these people that daddy does not own you or anyone else. The problem is ownership not culture. Tell them they are no longer in the "Old Country" and they will follow our law despite what their old law or religion might require. This has to be backed up with jail time.

FWIW: I am very serious about this because my step father thought I was his slave and would be happy working at his hobby. He enforced this happiness with belts and sticks. I had to put up with this as I was a small child. The crap lasted until a year after I was no longer a small child but a very angry young man. We had a discussion about this matter. I simply informed him that if he tried to hit me again I would damage him. He believed me. He was a smart man.

I have been "owned". I am no longer. I do not tolerate anyone even thinking they "own" anyone.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Fundamentalist Christians constantly use their religion as an excuse to beat children. Do you criticize them too? Or what about the Catholic church using their religion to sexually abuse children? Or do you only have a problem when its another culture or religion?

I think this story as well as Christians who commit atrocities in the name of their religion demonstrates that religion is often the cause of evil in the world.
We are talking about, this girl was beat, because of an arranged marriage and only 19.

This is not culture, this is stupidity, when you choose to beat your child in this way, i dont' give a crap about anyonel's cutlure, wrong is wrong and this is it.

These people are not a cutlure, they are barbaric in their thinking, and there actions, and have no respect for women at all.
It is wrong to beat your child in this way, no matter who you are, or what religion you are , or cutlure. If you rape and are a priest, or a rabbit, or a pastor, it is wrong.
I would like to get my hands on that Mother. And i am pretty tough, know martial arts, and would love to use in on her.

But stoop to that stupidity, won't go there.
Sorry but these people will never change their evil ways.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Forget the question of her being abused. Did they admit to arranging the marriage? If so, give 'em a good year in the local penitentiary as Bubba and Bertha's arranged marriage spouses. I'm sure they'll come out with a new appreciation of the right to choose your own mate

Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Im very much for a melting pot.

We put those abusive parents in a really big pot and put em over a fire. Lets see how well they melt.

I think they would smell very offensive and quite gamey, blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies