Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It is free like anything else on your health insurance plan.
The costs of which, to be fair, are rather hidden from the consumer. However, the point remains that the problem would not be exclusive to birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Okay, what did I miss. Taxpayers are not on the hook for the contraception. Employers who pay the premiums and/or insurance companies are. This isn't a government-funded program.
You are mistaken, the Dictator-In-Chief has directed that insurance companies will provide contraceptives for free. Which means it is indeed a taxpayer funded government program. Congress will appropriate funds to pay the pharmaceutical companies an ever increasing cost to provide those "free" contraceptives.

The pharmaceutical companies will make out like bandits, while the taxpayer suffers. All thanks to liberal parasites.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who asked for free contraceptives?
Liberal freaks demanded it.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Liberal freaks demanded it.
I guess this would explain why conservative states are welfare states supported by the more affluent blue states - no contraceptives, and those religious folk just can't stop themselves from fornicating.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You really don't see a possibly unconstitutional law being used by Obama to force insurance companies to supply those things with, do you? He tried to force the Catholic Church to do that and when the bishops said NO he switched to insurance companies and that was supposed to settle the whole thing. If they don't do it then he will shift to government supply after telling the companies they are now out of business. Really I wonder when you are going to see all of this taking place.
Actually, I see a real problem with federal over reach of power. "Unconstitutional" is a relative term, and only 9 people will get to decide that answer for the rest of us. Republicans and Democrats, Even the whigs, federalists, and Democratic-Republicans, over the last 230 years have changed that definition for us over and over again, by interpreting the constitution instead of following a constructional view of it. Such is the history of our country.

My main concern, since anything is interpreted as constitutional, is what next will they make us buy?

If wearing seat belts were against ones religion, should they be allowed to drive without one? All that the law says is, if you buy insurance, that insurance will cover contraception. Just like anything else that you buy, the federal government can tell you what standards it has to meet, through the interstate commerce clause. Republicans have used that to outlaw things I like, welcome to the club.

Those are the things I see.

But, back on topic, NONE of those complaints I have are anything to do with making an argument that contraception will cost more because "it will be free", when it isn't free, its covered by your premium.

This is the problem with the Republican party, and honestly, you lately with some of the silly threads you start.

Instead of going off on a tangent, saying that contraception should be illegal, or complaining about the catholic church, stick to the unconstitutional argument, bring it to the Supreme court, and let them decide. Instead of going off on a tangent saying the President is against the military, how about focusing on his increased spending while lowering taxes.

There are real complaints about the Obama administration, and all of these stupid, silly, incompetent threads like this one, and many others you and others have posted over the last weeks only quells the real arguments to be made, by making up fake ones.

Its part of the reason Republicans are going to lose the white house in the fall. Instead of sticking to spending, and the economy, they went nuts over birth control, not the mandated healthcare purchase, but birth control.

Its also why I won't vote for a single Republican this fall. Now I'm not going to vote for any Democrats either, as I see them as one, big spending, lowering tax party. But Republicans had a real chance to win voters like myself, and they just dropped the ball. And you aren't helping.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
OP, nothing is free.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
So basically making contraception free makes it harder to control cost because by contraception being free it hides its true costs.
Less liberal decendents is possibly an outcome?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
More disease? Oh, that's gonna happen anyway. It's a sick, sick world in more ways than one.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
One of Fluke's examples was a Georgetown student, a married educated woman who chose to forego contraception because it wasn't free. Even teenage boys can get their hands on condoms. So, ???? I'm confused here. Either Fluke was exaggerating, like Rush did, or that woman really wants to quit law school and be a mommy.

Speaking of condoms, why aren't free condoms included?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Speaking of condoms, why aren't free condoms included?
If you want to be an advocate of that there is nobody stopping you. Generally OTC items are not covered by insurance though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies