Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
May be true, maybe not. The second comment down (on the article found via the OP's link) reads:

"The Edison Fans were chanting Alamo Whites how is that not just as bad!"

Still, really changes nothing, imo.
So a comment by a blogger is a valid source. There is another comment on the article that states that no comments were made. The comment states that the kids from Alamo were throwing tortillas at the Edison fans reads:

"I heard the kids from Alamo were throwing tortillas at the Edison team. It sounds like the Edison team were yelling, Why Alamo, Why and not Alamo Whites. It sounds similar, especially in a crowd."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
As with any behavior, before you can determine if it can/should be considered "racist", you must first ask yourself "Why did they do it?"

It seems clear enough to me that the implication is that, since the winning team was mostly white, they represented the USA more than the losing team, which was predominantly Hispanic (that the Hispanics represented Mexico or some other Latin country).
Yeah, that's what happens when you promote multiculturalism. Maybe if people were encouraged to assimilate into American culture rather than "celebrating diversity" then we wouldn't have people chanting USA at other Americans.

Not that I am defending the students who did it, I'm just saying it's kind of a problem of our own making. People don't bond over diversity. People bond over shared values and experiences. Used to be people were welcome to become Americans, but now they're welcome to come live in America while remaining culturally separate. It promotes balkanization.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Yeah, that's what happens when you promote multiculturalism. Maybe if people were encouraged to assimilate into American culture rather than "celebrating diversity" then we wouldn't have people chanting USA at other Americans.

Not that I am defending the students who did it, I'm just saying it's kind of a problem of our own making. People don't bond over diversity. People bond over shared values and experiences. Used to be people were welcome to become Americans, but now they're welcome to come live in America while remaining culturally separate. It promotes balkanization.
Some differences should be celebrated (such as the skin tone, the arts, and food), some differences shouldn't. I get what you're saying; some cultural practices and beliefs can be outright dangerous and shouldn't be tolerated. But one should never associate a person of one ethnicity with the practices and beliefs of where their ancestors come from. I gotta figure the vast majority of students at this high school were born or at least raised in the U.S. And so I see the students' actions more a product of unfounded prejudice (and subsequent "mob mentality") than the truly threatening piece of multiculturalism.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Thanks for proving my point Roy.
Your point being what? Do you think that all illegal alien kids are outstanding American citizens? Well sure you do.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know...how many are illegal?
Probably enough to make those of the other group wonder if they affected the actual citizens of the school. I know that you want an actual head count but you offered nothing but a rhetorical question as an answer to mine.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britparks View Post
Probably very few. Sadly, most of them aren't illegal they are just the result of an immigration policy which has allowed over one million third worlders to flood in each year since the 1960s.

This country was 90% White in the 1960s but due to massive third world immigration it's around 60% now. Obviously if we were so concerned with keeping the country White we wouldn't have went down the road we did.
Are you old enough to remember the highly organized attempts in the Senate in 2006 to pass the Amnesty Act that was masquerading as an immigration policy? I might say that George Bush and others of his party were pushing that thing that was concocted by Mr. Liberal, Ted Kennedy, and Mr. RINO, John McCain. The best part of that one was that the House had already defeated that one and the Senate was supposed to vote for it to cause the House to have to try again. Didn't work though.

That immigration policy you mention has been pushed by politicians of both parties ever since the 1980s in an attempt to gain votes from those that they wanted amnestied. Of course, the law of 1986 could have been successful but for some reason, nobody in DC was interested in enforcing any party of it. Votes, again.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I dunno, maybe because something like 50% (or more?) of all non-English speakers in the US speak...... wait for it........ SPANISH?? Or was there a recent influx of Dutch and Hungarian immigrants I wasn't aware of yet?

Btw, around here (Silicon Valley) you'll see less assimilation from and more "pandering" to the Asian residents. Doesn't bother me any, since I'm not concerned with how other people live their lives - or to what country they pledge their allegiance. But if you moved to another country tomorrow, are you saying you'd completely drop all allegiances to the United States? Wouldn't even keep a small American flag in your home, and would immediately and perfectly learn the new language? Seriously doubtful, especially when I think of the ex-Pat Americans I've met in foreign travels.
I guess you don't really think that a non-citizen who makes no effort to assimilate should be denied any of the good things in our Constitution. I truly believe that if one doesn't want to become a part of our nation he has no right to get all the Constitutional goodies that the rest of us get.

Do you go to the rallies by certain groups on Cinco de Mayo day? Do you carry one of their flags and shout their slogans with them? Do you really believe they deserve all the protections that citizens are guaranteed for behaving as they do? WOW just wow if you answer any of those questions, yes.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Your point being what? Do you think that all illegal alien kids are outstanding American citizens? Well sure you do.
My point that some people don't see Hispanic students as American citizens.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
My point that some people don't see Hispanic students as American citizens.
And many immigrants move here (legally and illegally) and don't see themselves as Americans.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM

74 posts, read 52,709 times
Cant they come up with anything new? I think the racism thing has been used enough. Its one thing if its actual racism, but the political correctness needs to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies