Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:05 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times

Advertisements

Last I heard the charges had been reduced on all of them.... Is the primary assailant still being charged with attempted murder???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
The race issue is kept alive by ppl who put nooses up trees to intimidate others and also by allowing these ppl to get away with slap on the wrists.
I'd say responding to a symbolic gesture (which should have been treated as a hate crime BTW) with violence isn't terribly intelligent no matter what race you are.....

Old 09-10-2007, 01:08 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Please pull your head out of the sand. The reason race isn't an issue to you is because your from a town with ONE race.
FACT
Al Sharpton is the white man's race card scapegoat.

FACT
Racisms still exists strongly is a lot of areas. Stop pretending it doesn't.

This is racism

A fight over a tree where only whites are to sit and the whites get suspended and the blacks get charged with attemted murder and the whites in the town support it.

This is racism

Yes it does make whites look bad but that's you're problem. Don't blame Al Sharpton.

As far as history, imho, it teaches me that when dealing with whites(generalzation) the race card is always admissable.

I know.....you hate it.

But I do too.

Lmao...Al has angered many white folks for standing up to them...Guy has no money or power, just doesn't take crap and they hate him for it...hilarious.

I like how nobody mentioned the white kids busting bottles over the black kids head for no apparent reason and no charges were brought for the incident. Its about equal punishment and being fair. No kid should ever have to go prison for 20 some odd years for soemething like this......

Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 AM

12 posts, read 19,311 times
if you beat a black guy, you may get a week suspension. If you beat a jews, you'll be lucky if they just sent you to a high security prison.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Lmao...Al has angered many white folks for standing up to them...Guy has no money or power, just doesn't take crap and they hate him for it...hilarious.

I like how nobody mentioned the white kids busting bottles over the black kids head for no apparent reason and no charges were brought for the incident. Its about equal punishment and being fair. No kid should ever have to go prison for 20 some odd years for soemething like this......
Al Sharpton has no money or power??? Yeah, I'm sure he's just the world's greatest philanthropist. ala Jessie Jackson.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
The original action that sparked the "racial tension" was putting nooses on a tree. Yes, this action was horrible in the symbolism that it stood for. They did get a punishment.

"District superintendent Roy Breithaupt and the school board gave three-day suspensions to the white students who hung the nooses, overruling the recommendation of then-principal Scott Windham that the students be expelled. "

The principal wanted them expelled, but a meeting of the school board gave them suspension. Yes, it is a slap on the wrist for the scare and terror it brought to the parents of many children. Hate to say, but they're kids. You can ask for criminal prosecution... but if they are no laws against this.. then you can't. (you can't create a new law then charge them, either)

In November, part of the school was burned down. Nobody was charged... but after that came an array of fights on and off campus.

"Police arrested a white man for punching a black teen. He pleaded guilty to simple battery."

Class 1 or 2 misdemeanor (depending on the area...). What were the mitigating circumstances? Also, you can usually get a much lower charge and sentence for pleading guilty rather than being found guilty...And just because he may or may not have served jail time doesn't mean the town is racist. Plenty of people get "90 days suspended under 1 or 2 years of good behavior" or as I've seen some from sitting in many (random) criminal cases (back when I wanted to be a lawyer).

"Mychal Bell, 17, was convicted in May of a reduced charge, aggravated second-degree battery, which carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison."

"He points to a case in nearby Bunkie, La., in which three white teens were charged this spring with the minor crime of battery for beating a white teen, who spent three days in the hospital for brain swelling and bleeding. "

Differences between these two: Motivation, Location, Circumstances. Yes, they're both assault cases, but we don't know the mitigating circumstances for the incident in Bunkie. For instance, a bar fight ending with someone in the hospital is usually just an assault and battery case... however, attacking somebody for revenge against someone for doing (whatever) is aggrevated assault. Which is, of course, a more serious crime.

"Blacks are overrepresented in the criminal justice system"

Well, if more black people commit crimes and get caught.. then yes, this would be true. Thing is, something that I don't personally agree with.. in most traffic cases and a lot of criminal ones - it is your word vs. a cop...... and who is a judge more to believe?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Wow, how many times does this have to get posted? I think this is at least the 3rd post. I'll respond and keep it brief.

The kids who hung the nooses were suspended for 3 days and after the suspension had to attend alternative school and undergo psychological evaluations before being allowed to return to regular school. Bad move on their part, they were punished. What else could be done? Did they make any threats? If not, story is over for them. If they did, it needs to be known what those threats were, otherwise, no story here.

The on and off campus fights prior to the one being discussed are unrelated and therefore should not be brought into the discussion. The kid who was beat up did not hang the nooses, and was not involved in other fights that are known. The guys who beat him up were not involved in other fights or issues that are known. But they ganged up on him and beat him until he was unconscious. Did they continue once he was unconscious? If so, they deserve serious charges as this is a lot more than giving someone a black eye or bloody nose. Unconsciousness is a sign of brain trauma and to continue beating an unconcious person is to risk permanent brain damage or death. Also, did the guys doing the beating yell any death threats? If they did, they made an ignorant move and gave a prosecuter the only extra piece of evidence needed to charge for attempted murder.

Without knowing the full case details here, no one on this board can say if this is an unjust action or not. It already sounds like the charges have been lowered, which is a good sign that either cooperation has taken place, or more evidence has surfaced to lower the charges.

Anyway, tying together several criminal actions trying to make a racism case out of it is not very convincing when it is obvious they are being specifically tied together to lead a reader to buying the racist line. Too much missing information and too much of an indictment against an entire town for such a weakly presented story. I think the media needs to either come up with more info to justify the hysterical racial tones of their story, or they need to ****.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Wow, how many times does this have to get posted? I think this is at least the 3rd post. I'll respond and keep it brief.

The kids who hung the nooses were suspended for 3 days and after the suspension had to attend alternative school and undergo psychological evaluations before being allowed to return to regular school. Bad move on their part, they were punished. What else could be done? Did they make any threats? If not, story is over for them. If they did, it needs to be known what those threats were, otherwise, no story here.

The on and off campus fights prior to the one being discussed are unrelated and therefore should not be brought into the discussion. The kid who was beat up did not hang the nooses, and was not involved in other fights that are known. The guys who beat him up were not involved in other fights or issues that are known. But they ganged up on him and beat him until he was unconscious. Did they continue once he was unconscious? If so, they deserve serious charges as this is a lot more than giving someone a black eye or bloody nose. Unconsciousness is a sign of brain trauma and to continue beating an unconcious person is to risk permanent brain damage or death. Also, did the guys doing the beating yell any death threats? If they did, they made an ignorant move and gave a prosecuter the only extra piece of evidence needed to charge for attempted murder.

Without knowing the full case details here, no one on this board can say if this is an unjust action or not. It already sounds like the charges have been lowered, which is a good sign that either cooperation has taken place, or more evidence has surfaced to lower the charges.

Anyway, tying together several criminal actions trying to make a racism case out of it is not very convincing when it is obvious they are being specifically tied together to lead a reader to buying the racist line. Too much missing information and too much of an indictment against an entire town for such a weakly presented story. I think the media needs to either come up with more info to justify the hysterical racial tones of their story, or they need to ****.
You save me from typing the same thoughts you have. Did anyone see Whorealdo Rivera last night? It was shameful....one sided, pumped up the racial undertones...just beyond belief. He ended the segment with a "not that we know all the facts"....under his breath then moved on the the sex doctor. If you don't know his show, it is a trainwreck and I can't recommend it, but I like to watch for the laugh factor.

Anyone that is incensed by the RACISM in the case should just take a few minutes and google it...read some actual new reports of the facts. Not like it appears from most of these posts. That creep Mychal Bell (think that's his name) that is getting all the media attention and is such a victim....check HIS background out! Not the first time he has assaulted somebody. And, no that should not play into the facts of this case, but sure should in the penalty phase.

If you kick someone in the head until they are unconcious and keep kicking...it very well may be considered attempted murder. It does not matter if by luck they don't end up dead. The logic of some in this thread is mind boggling.

And, to the person that thinks Al Sharpton gets involved with this kind of crap out of the goodness of his heart for no finacial reasons....how do you think he pays for those hideous Brioni suits?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
"He points to a case in nearby Bunkie, La., in which three white teens were charged this spring with the minor crime of battery for beating a white teen, who spent three days in the hospital for brain swelling and bleeding. "
On a side note regarding this case. Beware. You'll see internet lawyers all over the place leaving out the fact that the victim was white as well and leaving the impression that it was a white on black crime when it wasn't.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It doesn't help things that in a town about an hour and a half from Jena, Bunkie, three white kids got charged with simple battery, a much less serious crime, for beating a black kid who landed in the hospital for 3 days with brain swelling and bleeding.
Oh, I'm sorry..... Here's one right in our own HOUSE that's not just leaving out the details, but actually claiming it was a black kid. It wasn't.

It shouldn't matter either, but when you're trying to further the "racism" point with incorrect facts like this it does matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies