Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM

17,406 posts, read 12,017,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
One is a comedian doing a comedy show on late night pay TV. The other is a political commentator doing a political show on mainstream radio.

There's a wee bit of a difference there. Rush got what he deserved for the stupid remarks that he made. It's not anyone's fault but his.
No difference at all, unless you're a hypocritical liberal.

Both are men making derogatory and nasty comments about women. Hiding behind comedy is cowardly. Taking into consideration the size of the audience is cowardly.

The words are the same. In fact, Mahar's words are a LOT worse.

Like a guest on Fox and Friends said this morning - if I put a clown nose on, and said those types of things in the "name of comedy", I would be criticized because I'm a conservative, or something to that affect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM

74 posts, read 52,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The word c*nt means somebody who is not likable, someone you have distaste for, someone who is somebody you don't like. You can call a man a c*nt, a d*ck, an as*hole and a bastard. While it's the strongest word possible to describe a woman you don't like, at the end of the day that's all it is.

[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]Your definition of c*nt is totally wrong.[/color]
Sl*t however, is a word reserved for women by people that still believe it's wrong for a woman to enjoy sex with whomever the woman pleases. Whether they be married or not, 30 or 60, women are sick to death of being judged by whom they choose to sleep with, when men are not.

[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]But these women advocate to not be judged for how much they have sex or whom they have sex with, so why should this word bother them when it is just describing who they want to be? Its calling a spade a spade.[/color]
Women are especially sickened by the idea that some goon like Limbaugh is ever entitled to watch them have sex for any reason, while if they just want to be responisble and use BC, they should be chastised for it.

[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Rush thinks this whole thing is ridiculous (the fight about bc). No one is saying that women shouldnt be allowed to take BC. No one.[/color]

His rant had nothing to do with paying for BC, it was the same old story - woman who likes sex - bad - woman who likes sex - obligated to be sexually available for every fat old man in town, and get called names for the privilege.
[COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]this is just ridiculous.[/color]

That's what's at the core of this and we know it. Enough already. You can call me a c*nt all day long, but you call me a sl*t or a wh*re, and that's how I tell how much respect you have for women. That goes for women too.
I don't think what rush said is right at all. He said sorry, get over it and drop it.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,200,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
No there isn't.

If you're a misogynist, you're a misogynist. I don't give a flying crap where you spew your anti-woman garbage, you're still saying it. Stop trying to defend certain people. Limbaugh is an idiot, Maher is an idiot, the list goes on and on.
I'm not defending anyone per se. There wasn't a punchline in what Rush was saying. It was just stupid. The spin being pushed out now is that either the left is trying to censor him or that people should ignore what he said because a left wing comedian said outrageous things on his late night comedy show on pay TV.

Quote:
Rush was over the top and made inappropriate comments, for which he has apologized. Not so for the Mahers of the world.
Comedians, typically, only have to apologize when things aren't funny. That applies to comedians from every side of the fence. When Rush gets a comedy show, we can discuss it then.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 10,037,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer17 View Post
I don't think what rush said is right at all. He said sorry, get over it and drop it.
Ha! Why? You like telling women what to do too, huh?

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 03-08-2012 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Needed one more o.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM

74 posts, read 52,819 times
Quote:
Ha! Why? You like telling women what to do to, huh?
No, I am a woman, but I don't like whiners with entitlement mentality. We wanted to be equal, therefore we should be able to take it when men call us names. Very simple.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer17 View Post
No, I am a woman, but I don't like whiners with entitlement mentality. We wanted to be equal, therefore we should be able to take it when men call us names. Very simple.
Good, then we can agree that we don't like Mr Limbaugh.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,949,053 times
Well it isn't very good that they would condemn one and not the other.

That said,do we really need congressional condemnation every time someone says something mean?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM

27,741 posts, read 16,246,767 times
Quote:
The word c*nt means somebody who is not likable, someone you have distaste for, someone who is somebody you don't like. You can call a man a c*nt, a d*ck, an as*hole and a bastard. While it's the strongest word possible to describe a woman you don't like, at the end of the day that's all it is.

Sl*t however, is a word reserved for women by people that still believe it's wrong for a woman to enjoy sex with whomever the woman pleases. Whether they be married or not, 30 or 60, women are sick to death of being judged by whom they choose to sleep with, when men are not.

Women are especially sickened by the idea that some goon like Limbaugh is ever entitled to watch them have sex for any reason, while if they just want to be responisble and use BC, they should be chastised for it.

His rant had nothing to do with paying for BC, it was the same old story - woman who likes sex - bad - woman who likes sex - obligated to be sexually available for every fat old man in town, and get called names for the privilege.

That's what's at the core of this and we know it. Enough already. You can call me a c*nt all day long, but you call me a sl*t or a wh*re, and that's how I tell how much respect you have for women. That goes for women too.
We can justify anything when we try hard enough"absolutely oprah"

Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objet d'Art View Post
Oh dear, this shouldn't be such a hard distinction to make.

C * N T is a word that insults the person at whom it is directed. It's not a nice word, and people who use it should apologize to whoever they used it at. The fact that someone has used it shows that they have felt malice towards a particular individual.

S * U T is a word that, in its use, implicitly insults all women simply for exercising their right to sexual independence. People who use this word should apologize to all women for implying that sexual independence is not their right. The fact that someone has used this word implies they have felt malice towards all women who believe in women's sexual independence.

It's a bit like the difference between calling someone a B * S T A R D - not nice, but some people just are one - and calling someone a BLACK B * A S T A R D - never justified no matter what someone's done, because it insults a whole category of people in the process.

Get it?
Bingo. Finally, someone who's capable of reasoning beyond "na-na-na-na-na."

Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM

27,741 posts, read 16,246,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objet d'Art View Post
Oh dear, this shouldn't be such a hard distinction to make.

C * N T is a word that insults the person at whom it is directed. It's not a nice word, and people who use it should apologize to whoever they used it at. The fact that someone has used it shows that they have felt malice towards a particular individual.

S * U T is a word that, in its use, implicitly insults all women simply for exercising their right to sexual independence. People who use this word should apologize to all women for implying that sexual independence is not their right. The fact that someone has used this word implies they have felt malice towards all women who believe in women's sexual independence.

It's a bit like the difference between calling someone a B * S T A R D - not nice, but some people just are one - and calling someone a BLACK B * A S T A R D - never justified no matter what someone's done, because it insults a whole category of people in the process.

Get it?
BRAVO...this should put it to rest...serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies