Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Most states now issue an Identification Card if a person does not need to drive. Here's a link to the state of Ohio:
ODPS | BMV | State Identification Card
The VA card is only good for VA services. It's essentially a glorified version of the Blockbuster card (back when Blockbuster was still in business).
Are such ID cards free? If not, it sounds like a poll tax to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's funny to hear people defend the voter restriction efforts. It is well known that more voters is bad for Repubs. Has been for decades.
Then why the outrage from the left? Why the resistance to a process which will garner them more votes?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's not the GOP's fault or the person at the polling place.

If the law requires an ID with an address on it, then the fault lies with the prospective voter who shows up without one. And, the fact that he's an elderly Veteran isn't germain to the story. It's just an emotional hook to get readers all excited.

Given the number of voters in Ohio, I doubt he was the only one turned away state wide, don't you? Yet, you hear nothing about those others. Why?
I'll bet he is a Republican too.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If the law requires an ID with an address on it, then the fault lies with the prospective voter who shows up without one. And, the fact that he's an elderly Veteran isn't germain to the story. It's just an emotional hook to get readers all excited.
Exactly! He also had the option to obtain an absentee ballot. Every qualififed OH voter can vote by mail.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Default 2012, the year of GOP voter suppression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I'll bet he is a Republican too.
Based on where this was, it is very likely he was an R.

I notice that several posts discuss the ease of getting a state issue ID. There is an issue with the state shutting down many of the DMV office that issue these photo ID's.

Belpre BMV office closing in June - MariettaTimes.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Ohio, Community Information - The Marietta Times

Quote:
This year, nine branches, including Delphos and St. Marys, will close. Last year seven offices clossed, according to Ohio Department of Public Safety Public Information Officer Lindsay Komlanc.
BMV offices closing in Delphos, St. Marys | office, delphos, wert - Local News - LimaOhio.com (http://m.limaohio.com/news/office-38661-delphos-wert.html - broken link)

When you add a requirement for something and then reduce the ability to get that something in order to be able to vote, you are suppressing voting.

Another aspect of the new Ohio voter suppression laws was that a photo ID issue by a state college wasn't not good to vote with, even if it met all the requirements.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Is this what "support your troops" means?
Y Halo der Strawman.

This has nothing to do with supporting the troops.

Allowing him to use the ID that has no address would be supporting criminal activity. You know. Since there's a law that states that the ID needs to have an address?

Breaking the law is... a crime.

Imagine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
tie the yellow ribbon around the ole oak tree
Appeal to emotion.

Just because he's a veteran does not make him above the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
As a veteran, I find this deeply shameful. I'm also appalled by those who think that not letting an 86-year-old man who fought for this country in our war against fascism vote is acceptable for any reason. To make matters worse, this man is not even black or brown. The law wasn't passed to exclude men like him from voting. His demographic is pretty reliably Republican.
He was allowed to vote.

He was given a provisional ballot because he did not bring appropriate identification.

He refused it because he was butthurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not everyone has ID's (especially among the poor) because it costs $$$ to obtain one. It should not cost people $$$ to be able to vote.
It costs $8.50 to get a state ID.

Last for four years.

I'd rather pay for my ID at the DMV than to have taxes raised to cover the administration costs.

Which reminds me. I need to renew mine.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times
Why isn't a federal government issued identification good enough? Who made that rule?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Why isn't a federal government issued identification good enough? Who made that rule?
Ohio law states it has to have an address on it.

His VA card does not.

Therefore: Not good enough.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Ohio law states it has to have an address on it.

His VA card does not.

Therefore: Not good enough.
Why did they make it a law that a federal government issued ID is not valid. I know its a law, it's in the link, but why make such ridiculous laws. is every single law just in your eyes? The man showed up with a governemtn issued valid ID, he's registered to vote, he's been living in his home for decades.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Why did they make it a law that a federal government issued ID is not valid.
They didn't make it a law that a federal government issued ID is not valid. They made a law that states you have to have your address on your ID.

It just so happens that a VA Identification card doesn't have an ID. A CAC doesn't have an address listed on it, either. Therefore, one cannot use a CAC in Ohio to vote.

Quote:
I know its a law, it's in the link, but why make such ridiculous laws.
Prevention of voter fraud? Make sure people are at the right polling place?

Quote:
is every single law just in your eyes?
No. But I expect that in cases like this, that someone acting for the government (the polling person) will stand with the law.

The concept of someone breaking the law regarding letting people vote without proper identification (per the law) is well... bad.

Quote:
The man showed up with a governemtn issued valid ID, he's registered to vote, he's been living in his home for decades.
And he was given a provisional ballot because the Federal ID didn't meet the State's standards.

Except he was too butthurt to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies