Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times

Advertisements

That's the point. You don't need a photo ID to get an absentee ballot in the mail but you need one to voye in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Good grief, folks. The BS flying through this thread is incredible.

In OH all you need to do for an absentee ballot is apply, using this form. You don't need to have a driver's license or anything that costs money, nor do you need to take a cab to a polling place.

Oh wait! I don't know if that form is postage paid. I guess you could consider the price of a stamp a poll tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
That's the point. You don't need a photo ID to get an absentee ballot in the mail but you need one to voye in person.
The point is, he was NOT denied his right to vote, as stated by the OP and many who followed. He had legal options (plural) to take and chose none of them.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's funny to hear people defend the voter restriction efforts. It is well known that more voters is bad for Repubs. Has been for decades.
Of course many want to restrict US elections to those that are legally eligible to vote. Why don't you?

Why do Democrats have a problem with a relatively cheap and simple method that helps improve the integrity of an election?

Where I live most of the dead voters seem to vote in the areas run by the Democrat Machine politicians.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Quote:
The point is, he was NOT denied his right to vote, as stated by the OP and many who followed. He had legal options (plural) to take and chose none of them.
The real point is, why are they not requiring IDs from ALL voters? Equal protection, 14th Amendment. This law runs afoul of it.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It's not the GOP's fault or the person at the polling place.

If the law requires an ID with an address on it, then the fault lies with the prospective voter who shows up without one. And, the fact that he's an elderly Veteran isn't germain to the story. It's just an emotional hook to get readers all excited.

Given the number of voters in Ohio, I doubt he was the only one turned away state wide, don't you? Yet, you hear nothing about those others. Why?
Exactly right.

The left thinks that by citing a few freakish examples like this, that it makes the law unconstitutional because it was not 100% perfect. these are new laws that will be amended as we go along, to try an catch oversights and address other issues like this one.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I was going to respond, but then I see you posted the exact same thing to several other people. As a matter of policy, I ignore spam.
Running from seemingly hard questions is a habit of liberalism. You should quit making excuses and own up to your ideology.

Again, why do you have a problem with securing the integrity of our electoral system via photo ID laws? The WWII veteran part of this question is 100% IRRELEVANT.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
No, THE point is voters that go to the polls have one set of rules and those the vote by mail have another. Equal protection.

If an absentee voter doesn't have to show his photo ID to vote nobody should be required to show a photo ID. I voted early, in Ohio, and I did NOT show my photo ID.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes it is.
Explain to me how and put your big boy pants on when you do so you don't sound to silly....

Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
The real point is, why are they not requiring IDs from ALL voters? Equal protection, 14th Amendment. This law runs afoul of it.
Simple, I want my vote protected, so some yahoo can't waltz in, claim he is me, and vote in my place, or claim to be a dead guy, or claim to be some other person that they know will not be voting, and vote in their place.

The dems hate these laws because it prevents them from committing voter fraud. Every time someone casts a fraudulent vote it disenfranchises the legitimate vote of a citizen.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Running from seemingly hard questions is a habit of liberalism. You should quit making excuses and own up to your ideology.

Again, why do you have a problem with securing the integrity of our electoral system via photo ID laws? The WWII veteran part of this question is 100% IRRELEVANT.
Dude, we all saw it and ignored it. You cut and pasted the same question. Seemed like tolling to me. No body is running and hiding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies