Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Utah lawmakers pass bill to curb sex education in schools - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/utah-lawmakers-pass-bill-curb-sex-education-schools-045319709.html - broken link)

Good! Should be left up to the parents and should be voluntary in schools. As usual the democrats in Utah says a parent can't be expected to do this for their kids. Believe me my parents never had "the talk" with me. I was old enough to figure it all out for my self. Democrat's want a cradle to grave nanny system.
There's a reason why people started doing this in school. Perhaps you might want to be more concerned with the horrible rate of teenage pregnancy in this country and less worried about leaving this to parents.

You figured it out for yourself? Are you a statistically valid sample? Does your experience mean that everyone else did? You're a good example of why giving education about basic reproductive topics in school is a good idea. Parents don't always follow through and often parents don't even know a lot about reproductive topics themselves.

Plenty of independents want to have policies that give information to young people. Your assertion that this has anything to do with a nanny state is childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Utah lawmakers pass bill to curb sex education in schools - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/utah-lawmakers-pass-bill-curb-sex-education-schools-045319709.html - broken link)

Good! Should be left up to the parents and should be voluntary in schools. As usual the democrats in Utah says a parent can't be expected to do this for their kids. Believe me my parents never had "the talk" with me. I was old enough to figure it all out for my self. Democrat's want a cradle to grave nanny system.
No, not good. If you don't want your child taught about biology, then enroll them in a private school. It serves the public more good for children to be taught about sex in school, because most parents just don't do it, and its part of our problem with teen pregnancy.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Case in point, a friend of mines growing up, didn't get any correct "sex education" from her parents, and up until she actually got pregnant at 15, did she know that having sex could get you pregnant.

Her parents told her that having sex in water, would not get her pregnant.

Yeah, she had sex in the pool with her boyfriend. First time too. Bam, she's pregnant.

Those who say that parents should be the ones responsible? well, what about IRRESPONSIBLE parents who pass along stupid things like "you can't get pregnant if you have sex in the pool!": and other sex misnomers?
So true. Or how about Foster Friess' -- Republican billionaire and Rick Santorum's primary fund raiser -- knowledge of contraceptives:

Santorum Backer Friess Suggests "Aspirin Between Their Knees" As Contraception - YouTube
Quote:
"This contraceptive thing, my gosh, it's so... inexpensive. Back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives. The gals put it between their knees, and it wasn't that costly"

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Teen pregnancy is actually down not up. What do you fear ?
I don't fear anything. But I'm also not the one complaining about teen pregnancies, welfare mothers, women looking for abortions while trying to keep them in the dark about how to not get pregnant.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I don't fear anything. But I'm also not the one complaining about teen pregnancies, welfare mothers, women looking for abortions while trying to keep them in the dark about how to not get pregnant.
Well the welfare mothers have kids for different reasons.
But teen pregnancy is down and has been on a downward trend for some time.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Sex Ed shouldn't be taught in schools it should be taught by a father, mother or her sister wives.
And when little Johnny and Suzy's mommy and daddy don't teach them and they wind up pregnant or with some foul STD, what say you then? Or is it just too bad for Johnny and Suzy because they have idiot parents?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Good lord..how did kids in the US ever grow up and learn about life BEFORE sex ed came into the classrooms.
They fared worse, as evidenced by

Quote:
Teen pregnancy is actually down not up.
- teen pregnancy rates.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Sounds like Utah is on the right track.
...To returning to their caves, probably.

But then again, can't expect idiots to not be prudes about sex.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:15 PM

840 posts, read 781,303 times
Its not about being prudes. Its about getting the government out of controlling our lives. Its the parents job to deal with sex education we made it thousands of years without a government informing our innocent children about homosexual garbage and other forms of sex. We can do it ourselves now. They are teaching sex ed in the form of abstinence the best form of birth control.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:

Oh, well, surely it won't be a crime for kids at school to pass on information to other kids on how to do birth control. Most kids get so curious about sex they're not going to stay abstinent for ever while single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies