Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The FDA also approves vitamins but don't declare them medications.
The FDA approved Enovid as an oral contraceptive, not a medication back in 1960.
Wrong.

The FDA does NOT "approve" vitamins, at least if taken orally. Vitamins are considered dietary supplements and are currently exempt from all pre-market approval, registration and listing requirements.

The FDA DOES distinguish between drugs and "biologics" (generally vaccines) however FDA classification is completely independent of insurance reimbursement policies. Those are regulated for Medicare/Medicaid by CMS. Private insurance companies are not bound by CMS reimbursement policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Laws like that strangle companies. No wonder ins premiums are so high.
Ya, those MS patients don't REALLY need coverage and WE don't want to pay for that , do we?

And pre-natal care? What the heck is THAT for?

Prostate cancer screening...get rid of it!!!!

That's just a few thngs Insurance companies HAVE to be FORCED to cover.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
The FDA also approves vitamins but don't declare them medications.
The FDA approved Enovid as an oral contraceptive, not a medication back in 1960.
Where does it say that a hormonal contraceptive is not a medication? If you're right then fine, but I find that very hard to believe considering that it's only sold by prescription and it requires medical monitoring. You don't buy vitamins by prescription.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
So the 2012 Presidential election will hinge on whether or not BC is totally FREE.
ROFL....social issues trump yet again.
No, but it may very well hinge on the Republican's archaic, bible-thumping views on women and homosexuality.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, county health clinics don't offer many women's health reproductive services for free or reduced cost. They may offer some, but at the same time, they still require long waits which void privacy in small towns where people will recognize you and wonder why you're at the clinic to begin with. Rumors run rampant in small towns.

And your assertion that plenty of abortions go on in small podunk towns depends on your definition of "plenty", because as someone who lives in a podunk town I can assure you no abortions have ever been provided by a medically qualified caretaker in my podunk town. How do I know? Because the single doctor who comes to town three days a week doesn't do abortions. And there isn't anybody else.
They do in Texas. And there's limited transportation available (CARTS) to help rural folks get to bigger cities.

Texas Department of State Health Services - Family Planning Services

Old 03-08-2012, 09:15 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I imagine others have said this in this long thread, but I would vote for or against a candidate of either party based on abortion, as I think it's a leading indicator of a lot of other anti-woman beliefs. Never mind birth control, I never thought I'd have to consider that again!
I happen to be fortunate in that other things that matter to me seem to line up with my interests in women's rights, especially reproductive rights. I cannot see voting for someone who, or whose party, thinks I am strictly a vessel for reproduction and wants to block any other way of living.
I guess coming of age in the late 1960s-early 1970s and being a feminist/egalitarian since I could think at age 14 did it for me.
Anyway, someone who wants half the population to be less than full citizens/people isn't likely to have the better interests of the whole nation in mind.
Look at the "quality of life" indices- they all correlate positively with womens' citizenship and reproduction control. Look at the bottom part of that index, and how those places are and live.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
This is splitting hairs.

The FDA distinguishes between various products according to their function and nature.

A diaphragm is a "device" because it does not contain a substance which is absorbed into the system

Just FYI the FDA loosely calls all of them "medicines" but this is not a FDA-regulated term/
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/forconsumers/byaudience/forwomen/freepublications/ucm207070.pdf (broken link)

Birth control pills are considered "drugs" and not "biologics" and are therfore regualted by FDA/CDER. Here is an example.
Lybrel (90 mcg levonorgestrel and 20 mcg ethinyl estradiol) Tablets September 2008

Hopefully that clears THAT up.

Quote:
So the 2012 Presidential election will hinge on whether or not BC is totally FREE.
Are you pretending to not get it or do you really not understand? Or are you saying this because Rush got it wrong "accidentally on purpose?"

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Would a woman vote for a cadidate solely on the issue of birth control?

Women automatically get birth control coverage under Obamacare.

With the economy and everything else Barack sticks his fingers into - the U.S. is going down the toilet.

Voting for someone just because they support mandates that look like they favor womens' health issues and ignoring the candidates' stances on all other issues seems shallow. What about jobs and gas prices and foreign policy, etc?

Even though women have been given the insurance coverage for birth control; surely women will be able to see that Obama is not the right guy to be President. Right?

Would a woman really make their voting decision based on what an insurance company is forced to provide?
I've never voted on single issues before. Now I see I absolutely must. Not because of the cartoon version of reasoning you've posted above.

There's another single issue that's cemented my vote. There's nothing left to listen to from these morons in the republican party. You declared war on women. Half the species may not exist. Ignorant, ingrates, despicable cows. There's no excuse to prey on my half of this country WITH MY DAMNED TAX DOLLARS as a means to deflect male accountability from himself. I consider the republican party evil. Straight up evil.

Republican males want a divorce from womankind in American- you've got my vote for that 100%. I'm not sitting still to be a punching bag for blithering idiots and thieves with slick smiles and a pinky ring wanting my vote. I don't care to be in a foxhole with a traitor to his country, pigs who spits on their mothers, or the demented 'social conservative' prostitutes who aid and abet them. Prostitutes who can't be responsible for themselves need their right to vote revoked. They have no place in my America.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
No, but I think the issues of 1) trying to give employers the right to take away coverage if they object to it 2) pushing personhood amendments that ban the IUD, the Pill, and the saving the life of the mother if it means killing the fetus and 3) working to mandate medically unnecessary, invasive procedures just because you don't like the legal decisions some women make...all of those things may play a factor when they're added together. Rush Limbaugh, and some conservatives jumping to defend him probably didn't help much either.

The tea party got elected in '10 to fix the economy--not to do this.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Everyone votes according to issues that are important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies