Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times

Advertisements

Would a woman vote for a cadidate solely on the issue of birth control?

Women automatically get birth control coverage under Obamacare.

With the economy and everything else Barack sticks his fingers into - the U.S. is going down the toilet.

Voting for someone just because they support mandates that look like they favor womens' health issues and ignoring the candidates' stances on all other issues seems shallow. What about jobs and gas prices and foreign policy, etc?

Even though women have been given the insurance coverage for birth control; surely women will be able to see that Obama is not the right guy to be President. Right?

Would a woman really make their voting decision based on what an insurance company is forced to provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
It's not so much the one issue (insurance companies and what they will provide). I mean, I don't use oral contraceptives so would not "benefit" by this, but I'm going to look at the issue as a whole of what is going on in the country.

Besides this latest contraception battle which Rush Limbaugh took down into toilet and attempted to make everyone whose ever use contraception feel "cheap", there's the issues going on the states with regard to mandated ultrasounds prior to abortion, personhood bills, etc. All of these issues start making most youger women VERY nervous because little by little they are losing control of their bodies.

Add to that, you have many older women voters who are mothers. I have one college- aged daughter (healthy) and one son in high school with several medical conditions. My curent healthcare policy drops kids at 22. Now with the economy of the last 6 years, it's unrealistic to think my kids will be waltzing into a job with health insurance at age 22. That is a big worry for many parents (especially moms) that our kids won't be insured. The Affordable Healthcare Act took care of that and no one wants to give that up. The hardnest nosed republican in my office is loving this for her 24 and 22 year old kids.

As for economy issues, I feel the economy is improving. I never ever thought it would turn around overnight. That's foolish. The current republican candidates make me feel very nervous about the economy and I feel they would cause more harm than good at this point. Let me state, lest you classify me as a diehard liberal, all my life I voted Republican until 2008.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
I was raised by a single mother (my father was a piece of work) and all my life it's been the conservative mentality that made it difficult for her to find work when I was growing up or telling me I shouldn't go into engineering because it's a man's field.

Thanks to liberals and progressives, strides have been made for women which reduce the barriers to success in careers that were not traditionally dominated by females.

It isn't about the birth control to me, although this issue does expose the GOP basic attitude that women should stay home and raise babies and they are ****s if they do not. It's about the GOP / conservative mentality STILL wanting to give white males the fast track to success after all these years. They are upset about not being able to hog the trough by themselves anymore and the whining is becoming deafening.

It will be a cold day in hell before I vote for a party that defines me by my XX chromosomes.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
This issue does expose the GOP basic attitude that women should stay home and raise babies and they are ****s if they do not.
I don't remember seeing that stance on any Republican candidate's websites?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Birth control has never, nor would it ever, be an issue for me on who I vote for in any political office. It's pretty simple for me. Who is going to offer the lowest taxes, who is going to offer business the best opportunities to succeed unmolested, and who has a strength through peace stance on foreign policy. The rest is extraneous noise.

As a woman, I am bothered by the liberal positions on women. We are treated as the ultimate victims that "needs" help from them in order to succeed. I vehemently disagree. I also have entered into a field that is dominated by men and far surpassed many of my peers in this field. I want to be measured on my work alone and not have any so-called advantages thrown my way simply because I am female.

I am also bothered that we women are all lumped together by the media as one large voting bloc that votes on these extraneous issues. We are concerned about the same things as everyone else (e.g. economy, foreign policy). To think we would vote based upon an issue such as birth control shows that the media has a pretty low opinion of women and our ability to vote on the important issues.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
My rights as a US citizen are under attack.
That is my main issue.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Grouping all woman together is rediculous. Makes about as much sense as grouping all blacks , or all gay folks together.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Actions speak louder than words...

Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
They don't need to put it on their websites, it's common knowledge.

Look at what the GOP poster child is up to now:

Quote:
“What is it with all of these young single white women, overeducated — doesn’t mean intelligent.
Gee I guess me getting a PhD in engineering from a top rated university in the US just before my 25th birthday and working my way up out of poverty makes me pretty suspicious huh? And I was SINGLE. I can't possibly be really intelligent, since I'm female. Surely I must have been a "token." How about your guy Santorum, who believes that higher education is the work of Satan?

Where in the GOP is the preson with the guts to stand up and say "no we do not agree with this"?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Yes, I am concerned about the economy and foreign policy.....but taking away a woman's right to control her own reproductive choices will do nothing to help either.....yet that is one of the MAIN agendas of the Republican Party.

Let me try to put this in a male's perspective.

Would men vote for a political party that they thought had the best economic/foreign policy solutions......IF...... that party was also hell bent on banning guns and football?

There is no reason women should have to give up their personal freedoms to improve the economy or anything else.....so yes.....I am going to vote for the party that is going to protect my rights as an individual, as a woman, first and foremost. If the other party really cares about this country and wants my vote.....quit trying to take away my personal freedoms. Quit your bible-thumping, quit sticking your noses into womens and homosexuals personal lives and concentrate on the REAL problems at hand.....then....and only then....will I ever consider giving you my vote.

Just so happens, the Democratic Party and Obama have the best solutions to this country's problems.......and they also respect women and defend our personal freedoms. Win/Win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies