Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well one would hope their parents worry about them staying alive and would all in their power to leave the neighborhood.
With HUD, food stamps and welfare available a poor person can literally move somewhere else even if they have no money.
I understand what your saying, and I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't believe the problem is that easy to solve.

Where are they going to move too? If they're that poor they probably don't have much in savings if anything. Benefits aren't always the same depending on where you move and many of the government housing systems is where a majority of the crime is happening. If that person does move, what's the chances of them getting a job elsewhere in our current economic situation?

In addition, a mass exodus is unrealistic and unsustainable for our cities. I believe we have to start addressing the roots of those problems. We have some of the most violent cities in the world yet the issue is rarely addressed in public forums.

I'm glad that we can agree that there are some serious problems in this country though. We probably just disagree on how to solve them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I understand what your saying, and I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't believe the problem is that easy to solve.

Where are they going to move too? If they're that poor they probably don't have much in savings if anything. Benefits aren't always the same depending on where you move and many of the government housing systems is where a majority of the crime is happening. If that person does move, what's the chances of them getting a job elsewhere in our current economic situation?

In addition, a mass exodus is unrealistic and unsustainable for our cities. I believe we have to start addressing the roots of those problems. We have some of the most violent cities in the world yet the issue is rarely addressed in public forums.

I'm glad that we can agree that there are some serious problems in this country though. We probably just disagree on how to solve them.
While one doesn't have to move to the suburbs they can move further out from the inner part of the inner cities if you know what I mean.

I've done tutoring at inner city schools in Austin..some more inner than others. One school I went to I couldn't go back to..I had to park on a side street (teacher gated lot was only for teachers and I did fear for my physical safety). Another school though was further out from the heart of the inner city and was more poor than "rough" and I had no problem tutoring there.

That is what I meant by moving..even a mere 10-15 blocks can make a difference.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
How do you think we built this country???
Stealing it from the indignous people who were already here.

More seriously, up until the 1950s, it was a boon to bring in tons of people into a nation that had much more space and much more in the way of jobs that simply required a strong back.

So importing poverty then gave us a return on investment. Importing poverty now is a fool's errand.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
While one doesn't have to move to the suburbs they can move further out from the inner part of the inner cities if you know what I mean.

I've done tutoring at inner city schools in Austin..some more inner than others. One school I went to I couldn't go back to..I had to park on a side street (teacher gated lot was only for teachers and I did fear for my physical safety). Another school though was further out from the heart of the inner city and was more poor than "rough" and I had no problem tutoring there.

That is what I meant by moving..even a mere 10-15 blocks can make a difference.
The public school system in Chicago is pretty bad in a vast part of the city. In order to get a good education you have to live in one of the affluent north side neighborhoods or pay top dollar for a charter or private school. It really is pretty sad.

I applaud you for being a teacher. Wishing the best.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
The public school system in Chicago is pretty bad in a vast part of the city. In order to get a good education you have to live in one of the affluent north side neighborhoods or pay top dollar for a charter or private school. It really is pretty sad.

I applaud you for being a teacher. Wishing the best.

Isnt Chicago a progressive city? Why are progressives ideas not working there?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post

I always considered Chicago a political hack machine city.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
It is in many ways, but its still an American city. It is also still a corrupt town. The freaking parking meters are outsourced in the city. Flash towings, bogus parking tickets, and bogus laws keep that city afloat.

And for the record. It's not going to get our country anywhere playing Republicans and Democrats. I'm losing respect for those who follow either party after the actions of both.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Chicago school problems are deeper than just "progressive ideas".
There's been outright corruption and obstruction and covering up by it's leaders over decades.
This is NOT a knock on the Dems..the article also has Chicago admin going back to Bush administration who went on to the Dept of Education as well.

Chicago schools report contradicts Obama and Duncan - USATODAY.com

Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
We've let in and catered to tens of millions of illega;s who are on our welfare services, in our schools, closing down our hospitals and undercutting our jobs without paying income taxes.

Could this be the increase of the last 15 years?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
It's like the 1930s and the Great Depression all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies