U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,299,309 times

Advertisements

Just keeps coming. Links to bill are in article.

Bill would create partnership between NSA and U.S. corporations | The Raw Story

H.R.3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Interesting trend that seems consistent is govt and corporate profits at your expense. State of Fl reportedly made about 65mil, recently, I believe, in selling citizen information after coercing your life history out of you through the DMV. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM

These humorous quotes are funny. These are from an administration gone by, however, they seem so "timeless".

NSA Wiretapping Jokes

"I got a call last night during dinner from Verizon asking me if I was happy with my long distance surveillance." --Bill Maher

"Instead of the NSA recording conversations, this time they just gathered information about the calls: the time, the length and the phone numbers. In other words, while the government does know you called The Gay Teen Bondage Chatline at 1:45 a.m. for 7 minutes at a time, what you discussed... that's your business." --Jon Stewart

Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,988,674 times
Brave New World vs 1984....
Even Huxley, author of Brave New World, thought 1984 was more realistic of our future.

dated 1949....
Letters of Note: 1984 v. Brave New World
"..the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience. In other words, I feel that the nightmare of Nineteen Eighty-Four is destined to modulate into the nightmare of a world having more resemblance to that which I imagined in Brave New World."

Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Brave New World vs 1984....
Even Huxley, author of Brave New World, thought 1984 was more realistic of our future.

dated 1949....
Letters of Note: 1984 v. Brave New World
"..the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience. In other words, I feel that the nightmare of Nineteen Eighty-Four is destined to modulate into the nightmare of a world having more resemblance to that which I imagined in Brave New World."
Yeah well "Orwell" had some interesting acquaintances. It's also interesting to note "lust for power" because clearly this is indicative of those who deep down have a "powerless" feeling.

There clearly are those who continually "seek" so-called "power" because of their own innate feeling of lack.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 PM

44,966 posts, read 19,359,049 times
From your link, " to help safeguard American corporations from espionage and cyber crime by allowing the NSA and other federal spy agencies to work directly with large corporate players,"

I take it you don't think the gov't should warn a company when they find someone trying to hack into their systems.

I see it compared to your neighbor sees someone breaking into your house and you are asleep. In your case that neighbor shouldn't call you and warn you.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
From your link, " to help safeguard American corporations from espionage and cyber crime by allowing the NSA and other federal spy agencies to work directly with large corporate players,"

I take it you don't think the gov't should warn a company when they find someone trying to hack into their systems.

I see it compared to your neighbor sees someone breaking into your house and you are asleep. In your case that neighbor shouldn't call you and warn you.
If you see something you should report it.

If I am in my house or yard and see such yeah, but if I am listening on their phone, in their house, computer or personal email uninvited then I think we have different issues.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,196,207 times

Dang good subject you brought to the table! thank you...

The NSA is known to have chosen San Antonio for its gigantic, Data Mining Center after MSN chose it because the trade magazine said that NSA works "off of" MSN or something like that! Hmmm...that's without the law, and speaks volumes. Most likely, every email in hotmail is sitting in MSN's center in San Antone, and NSA? probably every one of our credit card transactions, our phone calls and most of what we buy, work for, post online, and no telling what else.

Dig THIS article about it and the picture of the secure, huge site.

San Antonio Current - NEWS+FEATURES: The panopticon economy

Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Dang good subject you brought to the table! thank you...

The NSA is known to have chosen San Antonio for its gigantic, Data Mining Center after MSN chose it because the trade magazine said that NSA works "off of" MSN or something like that! Hmmm...that's without the law, and speaks volumes. Most likely, every email in hotmail is sitting in MSN's center in San Antone, and NSA? probably every one of our credit card transactions, our phone calls and most of what we buy, work for, post online, and no telling what else.

Dig THIS article about it and the picture of the secure, huge site.

San Antonio Current - NEWS+FEATURES: The panopticon economy
Yeah there has been a interesting trend lately.

Does The Cybersecurity Act Of 2012 Mark The Beginning Of The War On Cyber-terrorism? - Forbes

H.R. 1981 Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies