Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
You say I lie...well, do yourself a favor and research on the number of racial discrimination lawsuits filed against police and fire departments around the country for unfair hiring practices...specifically biased testing.
I took the NYPD exam on a lark. Scored 96/100.

They give you 3 hours and I was out of there in about 1 hour 20 minutes, give or take a few.

As I recall, the test conisted of:

1) Multiple choice questions that gave a basic definition of a certain law and then 4 examples to choose from.

2) Questions based on simple maps of an area- and I mean simple.

3) Questions which would show a face and then 4 choices where the same face was thinly disguised.

This was the easiest test I have ever taken. Anyone who cannot coast through such a joke of an exam has no business carrying a badge and a gun.

What do you see in my description that could possibly be biased towards blacks or hispanics?

What? I would like you to answer.

Blacks cannot understand simple definitions? They cannot read simple maps? They are unable to discern between a face and one that has been slightly disguised?

What is Biased?

Come on big talker, tell us. Sounds to me like you think minorities are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
What the

The Madre hill rule incident comes to mind right away....

Quote:
As a sixth grader at Wilson Intermediate School in Malvern, Ark., 11-year-old Demias Jimerson is learning what it means to win. As a football player, Jimerson scored seven touchdowns in one game. His team is undefeated. Jimerson is good – a little too good, as far as Wilson Intermediate Football League is concerned.

That’s why they invoked a rule that was made up when another football great dominated the game in the same football league – the Madre Hill rule.

Quote:
Madre Hill is a former running back for the Oakland Raiders, who was considered one of the greatest running backs to come out of the University of Arkansas, so much so that he was named 1st Team All-SEC in 1995. He was named to the Razorbacks' All-time team for the 1990s and once held the all-time season rushing record for Arkansas high schools and for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Hill played in the NFL from 1999 to 2002, then returned to the University of Arkansas as a graduate assistant to football coach Houston Nutt in 2004. A year later, Steve Spurrier hired him as the running backs coach at the University of South Carolina. The football team finished the season with a 7-5 record and were invited to the Independence Bowl. In 2006, Don Strock hired him to coach running backs at Florida International University.

But before Hill made it big in the NFL, he was making big moves in Malvern, dominating the game so thoroughly that the league made up a rule with him in mind. Once Hill scored three touchdowns, if his team had a 14-point lead, he was banned by officials from scoring any more TDs.
Now this womans goes on to say

Quote:
What is supposedly meant to empower other young football players is actually sending a mixed message to players like Hill, Jimerson, and other kids who strive to do great things on the field and in life. What’s the message? Be good, but not too good. To the Wilson Intermediate Football League, Hill and Jimerson were too good. And what do you do to someone who is performing above and beyond what anyone else is doing, make up a rule to keep them in line.

If any of Jimerson’s teammates or rivals took his performance as a challenge to work harder and develop their skills, the Madre Hill Rule made them feel comfortable with mediocrity. It tells them: Don’t worry if you’re not as good as the best-performing player on the team, we’ll force that player to perform at a lower level so he doesn’t outshine you.

Hypocrisy at it's finest....!!!!

So being an athlete is a "God given" talent.... but intelligence isn't?? It's OK to play the "Egalitarianism" values when it comes to mental capacity....but NOT athletics...

Just another double standard that many in the black community will simply not come out and admit to wanting!!!

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 03-09-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
I still don't understand how testing can be "biased"? Do the No. 2 pencils intrinsically know they are being used by a black or white applicant and therefore try to prejudice the multiple-choice questions somehow by directing the black applicant to answer incorrectly?

You either have common sense and can make simple deductive reasoning, or you can't. You either study hard enough to pass the test or you don't.

Groups shouldn't be allowed to leapfrog over the highest scores simply based on race or ethnicity. Diversity for diversity's sake does not work. (http://www.discriminations.us/2007/09/“why-diversity-for-diversity’s-sake-won’t-work”/ - broken link)

Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I guess that means they'll have to Dumb down the testing for admission.

Quote:
The lawsuit alleged that the exams had little to do with firefighting and instead focused on cognitive and reading skills
So they're going to be required to hire illiterate morons?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Nice....so now they are basically saying any idiot can run into a burning building and handle business....

Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I still don't understand how testing can be "biased"? Do the No. 2 pencils intrinsically know they are being used by a black or white applicant and therefore try to prejudice the multiple-choice questions somehow by directing the black applicant to answer incorrectly?

You either have common sense and can make simple deductive reasoning, or you can't. You either study hard enough to pass the test or you don't.

Groups shouldn't be allowed to leapfrog over the highest scores simply based on race or ethnicity. Diversity for diversity's sake does not work. (http://www.discriminations.us/2007/09/“why-diversity-for-diversity’s-sake-won’t-work”/ - broken link)
I asked the same thing and am waiting for doradao0359 to elucidate the topic for us.

First it was the SATs, now it is fire and police tests. I cannot wait until they set their sights on Bar Exams, Medical certifications, Series 7s, etc.

Why study to improve yourself when you can sue?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
The city blasts Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis as biased toward black firefighters* - New York Daily News

The city blasts Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis as biased

The city has blasted a federal judge who ruled the FDNY intentionally discriminated against minorities in its hiring, calling him media-obsessed and biased.

City lawyers asked that the U.S. Court of Appeals reverse Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis's decision - and re-assign the case to a "neutral arbiter."

In an unusually harsh attack, the city accused Garaufis of committing multiple legal errors in reaching his conclusion, being preoccupied with press coverage and acting as both a "witness and advocate" for the Vulcan Society of black firefighters.

"The nature and extent of the…errors, especially the one-sided manner in which the evidence was analyzed, calls (Garaufis') impartiality into serious question," the city stated in a 139-page legal brief filed Tuesday.

City lawyers referred to the judge venting about heavy criticism in the media of him by city officials as a result of his decisions.

"The Court's preoccupation with press coverage reinforces the many other indications that the city was deprived of a fair and neutral fact-finder," the city's papers state.

Garaufis was appointed by former President Bill Clinton and has presided over several major Mafia trials and two death penalty cases. The jury's verdict of death against Ronell Wilson for killing two undercover detectives during a gun buy, was reversed by the Court of Appeals due to prosecutorial error.

-------------------

hmmmmmm

Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I asked the same thing and am waiting for doradao0359 to elucidate the topic for us.

First it was the SATs, now it is fire and police tests. I cannot wait until they set their sights on Bar Exams, Medical certifications, Series 7s, etc.

Why study to improve yourself when you can sue?
next they will be saying the DMV driving exam is unfair too

Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM

158 posts, read 256,435 times
There are biases, cultural biases....that means one test taker can interpret a question differently than another based on his cultural background. We are not talking about a 1+1 problem but a situational question which often favors whites.

For those who are against affirmative action because it is "reverse" discrimination let me ask you this. How many of you know that from statistics white women are the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action policies? Why do you always assume that it's the "black guy" who is the unqualified individual, the guy who took your spot but you don't question the 40,000 white folks in the room? Do you think every single one of them got in because of their qualification? How do you know one of them didn't sleep with the boss, or "bought" their position OR they're related to the boss/got a hook up through their dad's friend etc. The list goes on. Yet it seems most of your frustrations seem to attack any black person who wants to better himself. Congress is 99% white Wall Street is 99% white, most institutions in this country are virtually white. You don't see the problem because you don't want to see the problem. And when you're not able to benefit from a system that caters to whites you attack the lone black person even though it's shown that white women benefit the most from affirmative action. Black male unemployment is still over 20%. I have been in the workforce for a little over five years now and I know that most people get their jobs through networks and connections they keep to themselves. There's a lot of qualified people in this country, just being qualified will not get you a job.

There's something called white privilege in this country. George W. Bush is the biggest example of it. He got into Yale because of his name not because of his qualifications. And there are more idiots like him. So maybe they took "your" spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies