Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

The taxpayers to a large extent funded construction of these projects. They subsidize every watt of energy they produce. And now they have to pay even when they don't produce. Absolutely assinine policies put in place by the federal government.

Quote:
Wind farms in the Pacific Northwest -- built with [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]government [COLOR=blue !important]subsidies[/color][/color][/color] and maintained with tax credits for every megawatt produced -- are now getting paid to shut down as the federal agency charged with managing the region's electricity grid says there's an oversupply of renewable power at certain times of the year.
[MOD CUT/copyright]

Read more: Wind Farms In Pacific Northwest Paid To Not Produce | Fox News
Read more: Wind Farms In Pacific Northwest Paid To Not Produce | Fox News

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Wait, you're complaining because they have too much power available? Did you read what you cut and pasted?

Care to compare the subsidies that other energy sources receive? Are the crude oil, nat gas and coal industries paying the appropriate royalties to the US government, or are they receiving "deals" for what they take?

Is the US government, and state and local government, giving them special treatment, subsidies and tax deals? Does the government help pay poor peoples heating bills, isn't the a subsity of the energy industries?

I don't see a problem helping green industry and the early adopter with the high start up costs.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Well as I said before which was a correct point and incorrectly removed...

Government funds this stuff for the green people who then turn around in especially CA to funnel money from that back into the Democrat campaigns.
We get that a lot in CA.

Also they have been the biggest losers since the 80s. Knew lots of people who invested in these. They were told they would be write offs and legit investments. The IRS approved it.
Then in one of the strangest things I've seen the IRS backpedaled and said people could not write this off and they charged fines to all the investors for not already paying taxes on the money earned that was supposed to be offset by the losses of wind energy.

It's a sham. They are also very dangerous because they break down it the sand very quickly and there have been blades falling off and almost killing people at times.

To see no return and to subsidizes them further. To not be able to write the losses off and and to see a black hole is the worst. Reminds me of what the government does too much of everywhere.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Wait, you're complaining because they have too much power available? Did you read what you cut and pasted?

Care to compare the subsidies that other energy sources receive? Are the crude oil, nat gas and coal industries paying the appropriate royalties to the US government, or are they receiving "deals" for what they take?

Is the US government, and state and local government, giving them special treatment, subsidies and tax deals? Does the government help pay poor peoples heating bills, isn't the a subsity of the energy industries?

I don't see a problem helping green industry and the early adopter with the high start up costs.
Forbes magazine reports that wind energy gets 100 times the subsidy of conventional oil, per unit of energy.

Ramp up basic research massively, but STOP the nonsense of trying to commercialize things that are not viable. When green makes sense, it will make sense. It does not meet that test today.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Forbes magazine reports that wind energy gets 100 times the subsidy of conventional oil, per unit of energy.

Ramp up basic research massively, but STOP the nonsense of trying to commercialize things that are not viable. When green makes sense, it will make sense. It does not meet that test today.
TODAY maybe, but is have to see that article. Has big oil received subsidies in the past???

Next point. We have three carrier task forces guarding the oil passing thru the Strait of Hormuz. Isn't that a subsidy of big oil? Any idea where most of that US taxpayer oil is headed???? Would you be surprised if most of it wasn't coming to America???? Why are we subsidizing oil going to China and the Far East???

These trillion dollar wars are all about oil. If we put our military on the job the US would dominate a world wide low cost green energy industry.

Green is viable today. I'm driving a Ford Fusion Hybrid that is giving me about 39 miles per gallon in the winter and 43 in the summer. I'm going close to 800 miles between fill ups. And ice did not receive any tax credit, no subsidy. Any added cost for the hybrid was modest and has been fully recovered.

The only ones saying green isn't viable are the ones refusing to adopt it. Your loss.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
And ice did not receive any tax credit, no subsidy. Any added cost for the hybrid was modest and has been fully recovered.
Every time you're using electric to power that vehicle you're being subsidized. The electric fuel is subsidized but more importantly the roads and bridges that you drive your car on are funded through taxes on liquid fuels that you are not paying. About Every 20 miles you travel on electricity from charging it's about a 50 cent subsidy.

In addition to that the Hybrids had a $3.5K subsidy for the purchaser, apparently you missed the boat. The manufacturers are eligible for subsidies depending on the size of the battery, not sure if it applies to the fusion. It maxes out at $7,500 for car like the Volt with large battery.

There is most certainly going to be something else somewhere down the line whether it's the battery manufacturer that was subsidized or some other component.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:36 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
So buzzard you think everybody should be forced to buy your special little hybrid machine and all will be well? I don't have 30K to plop down on a new set of wheels right now and there are many others that don't. Of course that doesn't matter. Perhaps if Obama can steal some more money from others to give to us poor souls who can't afford one of these fancy smancy green machines then all will be well in the world???

Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So buzzard you think everybody should be forced to buy your special little hybrid machine and all will be well? I don't have 30K to plop down on a new set of wheels right now and there are many others that dn't. Of course that doesn't matter. Perhaps if Obama can steal some more money from others to give to us poor souls who can't afford one of these fancy smancy green machines then all will be well in the world???
Did I say that???? If you wanta waste fuel and pay for it, enjoy. I'm paying 1/3 of what a was paying and it sure frees up a lot of money for other things.

This hybrid did not cost that much, taxes, title and a five year warranty out the door was $28,405 in March of 2010. And that was for the model with a Navigation/Bluetooth system. Should work on your negotiation skills. Base price was $25,500.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Every time you're using electric to power that vehicle you're being subsidized. The electric fuel is subsidized but more importantly the roads and bridges that you drive your car on are funded through taxes on liquid fuels that you are not paying. About Every 20 miles you travel on electricity from charging it's about a 50 cent subsidy.

In addition to that the Hybrids had a $3.5K subsidy for the purchaser, apparently you missed the boat. The manufacturers are eligible for subsidies depending on the size of the battery, not sure if it applies to the fusion. It maxes out at $7,500 for car like the Volt with large battery.

There is most certainly going to be something else somewhere down the line whether it's the battery manufacturer that was subsidized or some other component.
This thread is talking about there being too much green, hydro and wind, power in an area in the NW. Seems some there are claiming non green energy isn't subsidized that much. I see big oil as being heavily subsidized by our foreign policy and our military.

But back to the hybrid, it is NOT a plug in, no connection to the grid so your post missed the mark. Batteries are recharged during breaking and down hill coasting. If I drive down to lake Erie from my home I'd get well over 100 per gallon. The 25 mile return trip, up hill, I'd get about 30.

No, there was a $2500 credit but we bought this after the tax credit expired, it wasn't available before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies