Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
OK 60sfemi,

If you say it's not OK for the Democrats to mandate the purchase of healthcare -- I'll say it's not OK for the government to force a woman to have a medical probe in her vagina.

See, now we're beginning to make progress. Right?
No, I believe everyone should have an entitlement to health care insurance to make health care more affordable....since the health care industry isn't going to make things any cheaper. I also believe (just as conservatives....before Obama decided to listen to you and do it) that should health care be available to all, as is true in every other first world country and some 2nd world countries......that EVERYONE with very few exceptions should have to pay something for the priviledge. See how conservative I'm being. But now you guys don't think paying your own way and pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps should be mandated. I just don't get it. But you can still agree a government shouldn't force medical probes anywhere in a womans body!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskies1 View Post
Actually, when the waivers expire the religious folk will stop providing insurance all together. That is what my employer is doing. And I don't blame them, I would loose a lot of respect for them if they didn't stand by their belief.

Instead they will be raising our salary by the amount they spent to provide us with insurance. It won't be enough for me to purchase private insurance, but it will be a substantial raise.
This is exactly the outcome Obama sought with Obamacare. Eventually this will lead to a single payer government provided system. Then we can follow Europe right down the drain.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I am absolutely opposed to legislation requiring transvaginal ultrasound, but it is worth noting that the procedure may be necessary to provide the best possible care for the patient. I've had several in my life, and while they were uncomfortable, they were necessary, and I was not traumatized by the experience. I found amniocentesis much more invasive and stressful.
It is certainly NOT necessary in the majority of abortions and doctors themselves insist on them, when they think it is. Government intrusion unnecessary.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:20 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Here is some food for thought for anyone who cares to avail themselves of hard numbers and thoughtful analysis.
Can Republicans Win Over Women In November? : NPR

And those of you praising how "smart" conservative women are surely realize that many are defecting in droves? Why aren't there any smart conservative women running for office?
Yeah right! There are only smart liberal women like Nancy Pelosi.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Take a step back from the contraception issue by itself.

We do things in America to protect and better our society.

The Affordable Health Care Act (aka, Obamacare) is all about access and then affordable access to basic healthcare services under the premise that if everyone could afford to use certain services, it would save lives and, in the long run bring down health insurance costs.

So, as part of the mandates of the Affordable Health Care Act, many items of "preventive" health care are to be provided for free to those who have health insurance plans.

I will use mammograms as an example.

Last year, the Affordable Health Care Act said that mammograms (as well as several other diagnostic tests) would now be provided to insured women with no co-pay. I typically pay about $80 for my share of the mammogram and now it will be free. Many people that make a fraction of the money that I do yet still buy private health insurance will often forgo their annual mammogram because they might feel strapped to come up with $80 (or more or less). This takes that out of the equation.

HappyTexan just posted a thread about all the things that would now not require a co-pay under the Act. It's not just contraception. But the thought on contraception is the same for mammograms.

Contraception, if easily accessed and affordable, can prevent unwanted pregnancies, abortions, and can also treat a slew of other conditions much cheaper than more expensive drugs. If they are made to be free, then the hopes is that those who pass them up due to having a tight budget might use them if they are free. But more than that, there are some plans that don't even offer them.

Now, if you are against insurance providing wellness/preventive services and medications with no co-pay then that's your opinion. I just hope you include everything that falls under the umbrella of this.
I just learned something new, which means I need to go back and read the entire thread. So the strategy is to make preventative care really inexpensive so that it lowers the cost of treatment long term? What's the incentive for insurance companies to lower their rates, even if it reduces their costs?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
If you will notice there are many fewer women at all on this forum, and those that are on this forum are mostly liberal anyway. Conservative women are being dutiful and not opposing the male point of view.
Not true at all. A good chunk of this board is female, there's a wide range of viewpoints, but not everyone has a gender specific user name. Mine isn't and I'm a woman, and a moderate.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Conservative women here... and in no way dutiful. I just happen to agree with the men here, that forcing insurance is ridiculous. And, I do agree that mandating certain requirements is wrong (such as the sonograms). I've always said that in no way should a man in a 3-piece business suit have any jurisdiction over what a woman does with her own body. And I think you'll find a lot of us conservatives feel that way... Do what you want with your own body.... just don't ask us to pay for it anymore... I don't want to take your rights away, but don't go shoving what you believe to be fact down my throat either. You can't have it both ways. You want Obama care.. your welcome to it.. but don't complain when it doesn't fit the mold you think it should and you have to have tests you don't want.
Wait a minute.....how are you agreeing with the men? You may not believe in the Affordable Health Care bill at all, and you may not give a rats patootie that some people use the emergency rooms of hospitals at horrendous costs rather than provide government mandated insurance everyone pays for (so strange)......but everything else you say makes a huge "but" to that statement. Which makes you much more a liberal woman on this womans rihts issue. Good for you. You are not a tea bag, so there is hope! Oh BTW, there is no such thing as "Obamacare". I'm on medicare, which is basically the same thing as the Affordable Health Care Act, its just I finally got old enough to use it, but I think it should be available to all. After all, we are a first world country and can afford it.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
This is exactly the outcome Obama sought with Obamacare. Eventually this will lead to a single payer government provided system. Then we can follow Europe right down the drain.
Just look to how medicare/medicaid work today and that's what it will turn into for all Americans (except the very wealthy)..just like in Europe.

Quote:
I'm a Republican woman, and I have lots of issues with the premise of this thread.
We're all ears....or rather eyes....but we'll be willing to read whatever you write....and even respond.

Quote:
Something to consider: why is a woman who seeks birth control pills derided as a *****, but a man who seeks vasectomy is not? There is no compelling reason for a man to have a vasectomy other than to prevent pregnancy and make sex more convenient, and vasectomies are covered by insurance.
That's the million dollar question, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies