Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does The American's Creed Still Fit Today's America?
Yes 8 21.62%
No 11 29.73%
Not Sure 1 2.70%
It Will ALWAYS Fit America 13 35.14%
It Never Fit America 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
and back at ya' and this will warm you up
THIS WILL MAKE YOU PROUD (http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/THISWILLMAKEYOUPROUD.HTML - broken link)
Thank you! It's a great website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,555 times
Default This comes from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
absolutely 100%

had a fuzzy warm chill reading it.I still get watery eyed when I hear the song "America the beautiful" and the anthem.Taps,I become a fountain...yes grown men cry,damn skippy.

The only thing that hurts is reading it and realizing how much we need to get back to our roots as it says.

This comes from Germany.
EUROPEAN VIEWPOINT: THE WAR ON TERROR

Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Default New american greed........I mean creed.

YouTube - Greed Is Good

Old 09-10-2007, 07:28 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Sorry, can't say that I agree with it "fitting" although I like what the intention and thoughts of the writer was.

States as sovereign? No, they aren't. Our federal government has grown FAR beyond the powers that our founding fathers set forth for it and has been doing so since Lincoln's time. Its just that the last 30-40 years that rate of federal govt growth has become ridiculous.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
The government is a government of the rich governing the poor, the powerful over the weak.
Quote:
established upon those principles of Freedom, Equality, Justice, and Humanity
The fact that people in New Orleans were not allowed to have guns and were taken from them after flooding(2nd amendment?), . Warrantless wiretappings. Installing trojans and other spying software on civilian computers. Tax breaks for the rich and record deficits.
Quote:
for which American Patriots sacrificed their Lives and Fortunes.
Knowingly false information to cause a war. Patriot act reducing american rights.

Quote:
I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to Love it; to Support its Constitution; to obey its laws; to Respect its Flag; and to defend it against all enemies.
Political deadlock in the congress.

Executive privledge and infallibility. Practically nonexistant judical system. Ineffective legislative system.

This isn't a government for the people. It's a government to control the people.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
If it doesn't, it should! It is such a disillusionment that we cannot be united in defending our country. There may be many circumstances that cause disagreement among us. However, I do think that the enemies of the United States, applaud when we show our division so blatantly as we do. Why is it so hard to agree to disagree but at the same time, keep it within the family, so to speak?

Are we afraid that we might be looked upon as being weak if we stand up for our country? Sure, there are problems with America, but nothing that justifies the violence among ourselves. My head is not buried in the sand. I am just tired of all of the rhetoric demeaning our country.

Hmmm....MAYBE the issue is that people don't feel like we're being "attacked" to justify the way some people choose to use our military, troops, etc. to "defend" against? Look at the types of conflicts that have divided the nation - usually where the US is embroiled in some fight that has nothing to do with it (Vietnam), vs. conflicts where America is truly attacked (not since WW2).

Many people do not view the "War on Terror" and "Iraq" to be the same war.

After all, do we actually think anyone in this country wouldn't support a TRUE defensive war? If the Chinese were storming over the West Coast, that even the liberalist of liberals in San Fran wouldn't be rushing to protect THEIR home and THEIR way of life from the Chinese?

If the "enemy" takes comfort in our in-fighting, they shouldn't. No matter how divided we seem, if Iran or whoever ACTUALLY attacked us on our homeland, there would be no second-guessing or debate amongst the populace.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
I have no problem with defending our country, but I am not convinced that what we are doing today is defense.

Some nutcases got loose, and some more will probably get loose again, and for that, we are destroying another country, sending our people into slaughter, ruining our trust with the rest of the world, and for what? Just so everyone will know that we are the biggest bully on the block.

You know what happens when everyone gets tired of the bully, don't you? Everyone finally get fed up, gangs up on him and teaches him a lesson.

And yes, I did vote. I think the concept is great. I just wish I could convince myself that we are defending The United States of America.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hmmm....MAYBE the issue is that people don't feel like we're being "attacked" to justify the way some people choose to use our military, troops, etc. to "defend" against? Look at the types of conflicts that have divided the nation - usually where the US is embroiled in some fight that has nothing to do with it (Vietnam), vs. conflicts where America is truly attacked (not since WW2).

Many people do not view the "War on Terror" and "Iraq" to be the same war.

After all, do we actually think anyone in this country wouldn't support a TRUE defensive war? If the Chinese were storming over the West Coast, that even the liberalist of liberals in San Fran wouldn't be rushing to protect THEIR home and THEIR way of life from the Chinese?

If the "enemy" takes comfort in our in-fighting, they shouldn't. No matter how divided we seem, if Iran or whoever ACTUALLY attacked us on our homeland, there would be no second-guessing or debate amongst the populace.
Well written- I personally agree with the above. Don't misunderstand me, I WISH the creed fit modern America---but it just doesn't. It's written in English, which might be called "discriminatory" by some. It fails to make allowances for anyone here who wishes to excercise his right to HATE America---what about their rights, and their feelings?. In fact, the entire last paragraph is a list of "duties"--and many Americans (here legally or not) do not take kindly to the idea that they owe any "duty" to America. Modern America, rather, is seen as owing a "duty" to anyone who shows up here. Nobody mentioned any "duty"--and if they did, the ACLU would make short work of them in a big hurry....It's a free country, isn't it?

So, while the creed "fits" the America I grew up in, and love dearly, it really doesn't fit today's America. It makes no allowances for multiculturalism, and ignores people who want to destroy America. Don't they have rights, too? It's not nearly "inclusive" enough for today's new, improved America. In fact, the whole thing is just so controversial that perhaps we should follow the example of Western Europe, and ban the whole thing. THAT would sure solve a lot of problems......

Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times
I also do not feel like we are defending our country in this war and as for the creed in question, it doesn't fit today. Our governement has grown bloated with the corruption of partisan agendas and ideology and has lost touch with the people they were elected to represent.

War is peace.
Wrong is right.
Up is down.
Death is life.
Lies are truth.
Bill Clinton did it.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,370 times
I love it! This Creed is an awesome statement, and I firmly believe everything in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies