Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Well, the USA is a Police State and the police departments are run by the elite.

more reason to get rid of police departments and the police in them and go only with elected lawmen such as the sheriffs and their deputies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer17 View Post
Stereotyping gets ya no where. Not all police departments are the same.

Hmm...some people see what you call "stereotyping" as learning from experience.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
We trust them to do the right thing and this is the result?

SFPD Breathalyzer Mistake Puts Hundreds of DUI Convictions In Doubt - Slashdot
Paint with a broad brush much? A small group of officers within one agency were found to be derelict in the performance of their duties. The agency is owning up to the problem and as a result a number of people will likely have their convictions overturned. Based on this you attempt to condemn all cops.

The negligent officers will in all likelihood be fired and have slim chances of getting another job in law enforcement. I'm by no means condoning the actions of the offending officers but attempting to use this as a means to smear all law enforcement is utterly ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, are all the members of your chosen profession perfect? Are there no slackers? Assuming you're not one of those slackers would you not feel an agenda driven individual was attempting to drag your reputation, ethics, and competence through the mud if you were judged on the actions of those slackers?

Had the department attempted to conceal the actions of the offending officers your condemnation may have had some basis in reality. Based on your own links that was not the case.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
The USA has been a Police State for many years. Good examples of police forces run by the elite are the New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago Police Departments. They all have histories of corruption and not caring for the public.

The state of California is definitely a police state.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Paint with a broad brush much? A small group of officers within one agency were found to be derelict in the performance of their duties. The agency is owning up to the problem and as a result a number of people will likely have their convictions overturned. Based on this you attempt to condemn all cops.

The negligent officers will in all likelihood be fired and have slim chances of getting another job in law enforcement. I'm by no means condoning the actions of the offending officers but attempting to use this as a means to smear all law enforcement is utterly ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, are all the members of your chosen profession perfect? Are there no slackers? Assuming you're not one of those slackers would you not feel an agenda driven individual was attempting to drag your reputation, ethics, and competence through the mud if you were judged on the actions of those slackers?

Had the department attempted to conceal the actions of the offending officers your condemnation may have had some basis in reality. Based on your own links that was not the case.
I don't think that this incident is an isolated case. There's probably other departments out there guilty of the same thing. The larger issue is how we determine what is credible in a court of law and what room we leave in our laws for discretion. In this particular situation the intent might not have been malicious, but it does create a case for some to question the prevalence of human error. There could have been innocent citizens who were convicted of DUI based on false readings. No telling what these convictions could have done to these people's lives.

I personally nearly lost my 1st business because of an illegal arrest and bogus DUI conviction. It took nearly a year to resolve the ordeal and in my particular case, the officer not only falsified DUI results, but he also falsified reports and lied under oath in court to try to make his case stick. When it was all said and done I was out of a few grand, had anxiety issues, and nearly lost my business.

How's that for justice?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Let me guess...

We should abolish police departments because they're an overreach of Big Government!

We should get rid of laws about rape, murder, assault, etc. as well. Too much red tape.

Everyone should just arm themselves to the teeth like I do and criminal cases will be taken care of in the street, Wild West vigilante style. It will be like modern-day Mogadishu, but with better streets. Nice and efficient. Keeps you in shape, too.

Oh, and while we're at it, let's get rid of all those pesky taxpayer-leeching fire/EMS departments, too! People can put out their own damn fires. People are such ******* these days...a building catches fire and they have to call The State for help. Wahh wahh all the whiney liberals need Big Daddy to put out the four-alarm fire consuming their home and medically revive their children for them after smoke inhalation. I can't find any of that in the Constitution, so it shouldn't exist.

HOOAH! I'm a big, meaty, proud macho MAN, and I don't need NO help!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't think that this incident is an isolated case. There's probably other departments out there guilty of the same thing. The larger issue is how we determine what is credible in a court of law and what room we leave in our laws for discretion. In this particular situation the intent might not have been malicious, but it does create a case for some to question the prevalence of human error. There could have been innocent citizens who were convicted of DUI based on false readings. No telling what these convictions could have done to these people's lives.

I personally nearly lost my 1st business because of an illegal arrest and bogus DUI conviction. It took nearly a year to resolve the ordeal and in my particular case, the officer not only falsified DUI results, but he also falsified reports and lied under oath in court to try to make his case stick. When it was all said and done I was out of a few grand, had anxiety issues, and nearly lost my business.

How's that for justice?
Human error is a factor in everything. Regardless of whether the intent of the offending officers was malicious they were wrong in what they did. Those that were convicted as a result of breathalyzer readings are having the convictions overturned.

I made no claim all police officers are innocent. I stated that attempting to condemn everyone based on the actions of a few is disingenuous and agenda driven.

With regard to your incident; If you were out a few grand after proving the arresting officer falsified evidence leading to your conviction you need a new attorney.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Let me guess...

We should abolish police departments because they're an overreach of Big Government!

We should get rid of laws about rape, murder, assault, etc. as well. Too much red tape.

Everyone should just arm themselves to the teeth like I do and criminal cases will be taken care of in the street, Wild West vigilante style. It will be like modern-day Mogadishu, but with better streets. Nice and efficient. Keeps you in shape, too.

Oh, and while we're at it, let's get rid of all those pesky taxpayer-leeching fire/EMS departments, too! People can put out their own damn fires. People are such ******* these days...a building catches fire and they have to call The State for help.

HOOAH! I'm a big, meaty macho MAN, and I don't need no help!

we didnt say that did we? i dont mind at all getting rid of police departments. I am all in favor of sheriffs and their deputies.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Human error is a factor in everything. Regardless of whether the intent of the offending officers was malicious they were wrong in what they did. Those that were convicted as a result of breathalyzer readings are having the convictions overturned.

I made no claim all police officers are innocent. I stated that attempting to condemn everyone based on the actions of a few is disingenuous and agenda driven.

With regard to your incident; If you were out a few grand after proving the arresting officer falsified evidence leading to your conviction you need a new attorney.
We fired the attorney mid-way through the process. I ended the whole process with a public defender because I didn't receive financial help from my parents and I couldn't afford another attorney. I had been saving my money for my business.

Thank God for the public defender.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We fired the attorney mid-way through the process. I ended the whole process with a public defender because I didn't receive financial help from my parents and I couldn't afford another attorney. I had been saving my money for my business.

Thank God for the public defender.
Shame you weren't able to obtain another attorney to sue for damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies