Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
It is 2012. Most people under 50 do not have landlines.
So, you're saying that most people in the US under 50 who have phones do not have land lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Several years I had an elderly customer proudly show me her "Obama-phone". I decided to look it up and raise hell about it, but it turns out this particular program was started under GWB.
And being a good Republican you then decided not to raise hell about it. How dare your elderly customer have a cell phone with 200 minutes on it!! Maybe she can talk on it while she eats her ration of dog food!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
So, you're saying that most people in the US under 50 who have phones do not have land lines?
I don't know the percentage but the younger you get, the less likely you are to have a landline. The fact is that cell phones are better and, in some cases, cheaper. Think about the advantages:
1. No "installation" charges
2. If you move the phone moves with you. You keep your number no matter where you go- across town or to another state.
3. Text, pictures, email (try that with a landline)
4. Free USA and Canada long distance (cost about $25 with a landline)
The only reason to have a landline is for 911.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
I don't know the percentage but the younger you get, the less likely you are to have a landline. The fact is that cell phones are better and, in some cases, cheaper. Think about the advantages:
1. No "installation" charges
2. If you move the phone moves with you. You keep your number no matter where you go- across town or to another state.
3. Text, pictures, email (try that with a landline)
4. Free USA and Canada long distance (cost about $25 with a landline)
The only reason to have a landline is for 911.
According to the FCC over 70% of calls to 911 are made on cellphones now and that number is growing.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
A cell phone is a necessity. The "free" cell phone is a very basic service that only provides about 200 minutes of talk time. The poor need this service if they ever hope to get a job or accomplish anything.
The irony of your post is astounding.

A job....that will eleminate the ability to qualify for a "free cell phone?"

You're kidding, right?

No, you're not kidding. We know that. Your post is another example of EXACTLY how liberalism has never been the Ideology of Foresight. All you see is the here and now with absolutely no cognizance of what your policies actually mean in reality.

That's why I DESPISE liberalism.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I work at home so need a land line. Calling 9-11 from home on a land line they immediatly know where your at especially if you have kids who may get confused in a panic situation. Also if you have a home security system like I do you need a land line. I got a camera to take pictures with and a cheap cell phone to keep in touch when I'm out. The quest to have the newest fanciest gadget to watch TV on while your walking around or driving and be able to text like little beavers building a dam is beyond me. I go to a ballgame and more folks have their heads buried in their cell phones than are watching the game. I guess I'm just not "hip" with the new apple Iphone. Who cares.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
A cell phone is a necessity. The "free" cell phone is a very basic service that only provides about 200 minutes of talk time. The poor need this service if they ever hope to get a job or accomplish anything.
If someone needs a cell phone they should pay for it themselves.

How many people on welfare are "seriously" looking for a job?

Also, after using all their free minutes (that taxpayers are paying for) BS-ing with their friends, they won't have any minutes left for finding a job.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The irony of your post is astounding.

A job....that will eleminate the ability to qualify for a "free cell phone?"

You're kidding, right?

No, you're not kidding. We know that. Your post is another example of EXACTLY how liberalism has never been the Ideology of Foresight. All you see is the here and now with absolutely no cognizance of what your policies actually mean in reality.

That's why I DESPISE liberalism.
Well at the point you become gainfully employed, you can convert the government cell phone into a paid service with TracFone who issues them. You can buy 200 minutes for like $15 a month and 2000 minutes for $25. Most people would rather have 2000 minutes I would assume.I just cannot figure out why so many people hate the poor here.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Well at the point you become gainfully employed, you can convert the government cell phone into a paid service with TracFone who issues them. You can buy 200 minutes for like $15 a month and 2000 minutes for $25. Most people would rather have 2000 minutes I would assume.I just cannot figure out why so many people hate the poor here.
Once they find a job with that cellphone who will give them a car so they can get to work ?
And even one step back..how many people do you think can actually GET a job with only using a cellphone to apply for the position and have an interview ? All in 200 minutes per month ? Almost everyone and their brother now has "online applications".

So now they will need a computer and internet access after they make the call and are told "apply online".

Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I wonder who the owner of tracfone is and who his buddies are in the government who got this sweet deal??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies