Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Today I received an ad for a free cell phone and 250 free monthly minutes, if I qualify for it. It came via the U.S. Postal Service which has been losing money for years.

To qualify I must be a participant in a State or Federal support program ( like food stamps, etc. ) or meet the Income Poverty Guidelines as established by the U.S. Government.

Not only are they wasting our money on this crap, they are shamelessly advertising it.

A cell phone is not a neccessity.

Maybe I should call my Congressman. On the phone line I pay for.

Oh yeah, Congress won't listen.

A private cell phone provider undoubtedly paid for the mailing.

How do you get a job without a phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Why get a job? Then they won't qualify for all those benefits and freebies.

(scratching head)

What benefits and freebies are there for a childless adult, beyond food stamps?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
BS

It is not a neccessity.

They can use the phone line in their house or apartment that they pay for with their assistance money.

(scratching head) There is no landline in the house where I live.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good point. They lose food stamps and their phone.

Given a choice between a job (and the income it provides) and food stamps plus a phone, I'll take the job, thank you.

It's the only option that would enable me to pay rent.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
(scratching head)

Welfare, section 8, utility assistance, medicaid, etc. You really never heard of these programs??

Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A cell phone is about as necessary as a bullet in your foot. Cell phones are luxuries that can be and have been lived without for years.
Is a landline also not a necessity?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
(scratching head)

You need a job to get foodstamps.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Moving into a new place will often require some sort of hookup and you know there are always ridiculous fees that that go along with that AND buying a phone. It's for this reason that my daughter has never had a land line installed in any apt she's ever lived in.

We've always supplemented phone service on my land line (I've seen the charge on the bill) so I guess this is the same using newer technology. I don't feel a cell phone is a "luxury" when it's as common as it it. Individually you might think so but it the big picture SOCIETY has decided it's a necessity and is acting accordingly. People need to keep up or fall farther behind.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Moving into a new place will often require some sort of hookup and you know there are always ridiculous fees that that go along with that AND buying a phone. It's for this reason that my daughter has never had a land line installed in any apt she's ever lived in.

We've always supplemented phone service on my land line (I've seen the charge on the bill) so I guess this is the same using newer technology. I don't feel a cell phone is a "luxury" when it's as common as it it. Individually you might think so but it the big picture SOCIETY has decided it's a necessity and is acting accordingly. People need to keep up or fall farther behind.
Maybe in urban areas that have cell phone coverage but not everywhere.
So far only the big players (Verizon/AT&T) have decent rural coverage.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Welfare, section 8, utility assistance, medicaid, etc. You really never heard of these programs??

Section 8 is very very hard to get, the waiting lists are years long, and usually you can't even get on the waiting list.

Utility assistance is based on total household income. I live in a house with four other people. At one point, everyone in the house was below poverty level, but the total income was too high to qualify for utility assistance. (A person at poverty level living alone does qualify, but not if they live with other people at poverty level.)

Medicaid generally is NOT available to childless adults, regardless of income.

Similarly, most states do not have any welfare for childless adults, and those that do provide very minimal benefits (not enough to rent a room).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies