Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
That isn't wholly true. Now, I'm sure you have insurance, so this is a bit of a hypothetical.

Lets say you didn't. You could say "I don't want to spend any money on insurance", which is fine, it used to be your choice. But then if you get sick, you could say you are going to not go to the hospital, but you'd be wrong. In reality, lets say you get stage 4 bone cancer, very painful. No one is going to sit here and tell me that they aren't going to the hospital in that much pain, you'd be lying.

So EVERYONE uses the healthcare system, sooner or later. And if you decide not to buy insurance, and simply go to the ER, then everyone has to pay for it, you don't. That isn't fair. So, because Reagan mandated that you get care, the affordable healthcare act is a way of making sure that everyone is paying something.

I'd rather prefer a single payer system for that, but Republicans wouldn't stand for it, so.....

already happens. look at all the illegals that get free health care in our nations hospitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
President Obama, as usual, holds the superior position here. This won't stop the Righties on the Supreme Court for voting against it for political reasons. What a shameful Court we have now simply because of the additions made by the worst President ever - Republican Dubya.

Why Obama's Healthcare Law Is Constitutional | The Nation
If he did then this would not be going to the Supreme Court now would it ?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, you buy one of those stripped down policies. Then when you're sick and need to use it, you'll find out just how much good all that money you paid in will help you, NOT!
Katiana, not all lower premium policies are stripped down: some of them merely allowed one to pay out of pocket for their own routine, recurring medical expenses. The gutting of the only proven cost-reducer in real world practice, high deductible health care, is the single biggest travesty of Obamacare. I'm sure our fathers and grandfathers didn't fight and die on foreign shores so that one day, a politician could OUTLAW the right of a citizen to pay cash out of pocket for mundane expenses.

I for one have no interest in paying an insurance company $1.25 per $1.00 of routine expenses, inevitable, foreseeable, bound to happen expenses. And now it is mandated. What's next? Insurance to pay for the cost of lunch?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
President Obama, as usual, holds the superior position here. This won't stop the Righties on the Supreme Court for voting against it for political reasons. What a shameful Court we have now simply because of the additions made by the worst President ever - Republican Dubya.

Thanks for posting this. I found this part especially interesting:

Quote:
Two of the country’s most conservative judges, Jeffrey Sutton of the Sixth Circuit and Laurence Silberman of the DC Circuit, were unable to find a valid argument against the law and voted to uphold it. Harvard law professor Charles Fried, Ronald Reagan’s solicitor general, has also said the law is plainly constitutional. It’s always dangerous to predict Supreme Court rulings on controversial cases, but if the Court applies its precedents faithfully, it should be a victory for the administration.
And that is the big question - will the Roberts Court follow precedents?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
I don't think this will pass the Supreme Court test.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
President Obama, as usual, holds the superior position here.
The fact that you support Obama and like Obamacare it doesn't make it superior.

Quote:
The federal government is a government of limited powers,...
And the framers of the Constitution could have placed medical care under federal control, but chose not do so. That means only States have any say.

Quote:
... and although Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce, the challengers concede, if it can force people to “enter into commerce†in order to regulate them, then its powers are in effect unlimited. The reason Congress has never imposed such a mandate, they maintain, is that the power does not properly exist
"Health insurance" (snicker) is not Interstate Commerce. Congress has no authority over the matter.

Quote:
Although the challengers focus their attack on the individual mandate, that provision cannot be separated from the act’s prohibiting insurance companies from denying coverage or charging higher rates based on “pre-existing†medical conditions.
Actually it can. The court can strike it, or better yet scrap the entire thing.

And don't forget, this is only one of several challenges to Obamacare.

Laughing at the superior intellect...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I look at it this way, as soon as congress made it so I as a citizen could not buy any medical insurance outside of the state in which i reside, it stopped being an issue for the feds to control and left to the states to control.

the feds have no authority to regulate what type of insurance that I have or want to buy from any state. but since they did get involved and made it so I could not buy medical insurance out of state, it stopped being their concern at all as it is no longer an issue of interstate commerce.

that is why obamas health care law is unconstitutional.

no interstate commerce involved.
Very good.

Impressed...

Mircea

Quote:
That isn't fair. So, because Reagan mandated that you get care....
No, Reagan mandated that you be stabilized and nothing more.

Only hospitals that participate in Medicare are subject to the law.

It only applies to Emergency Treatment (HINT: that is why it is called the EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT AND ACTIVE LABOR ACT).

If someone goes to the EMERGENCY ROOM they cannot be turned away simply because they do not have Medicare or "health insurance" (snicker).

An emergency medical condition must exist. If so, then they have to either stabilize that condition to the extent of their ability or transfer the patient to another hospital with the appropriate capabilities.

If a receiving hospital has specialized facilities they are required to accept transfers of patients in need of such specialized services if they have the capacity to treat them, however treatment is not a cure.

Truthing...

Mircea

Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
........ Everyone buys food, so does that mean that the government can mandate what kind of food, or how much of it you must buy? .....
Why not. If the Gov't is going to give us free health care it's only fair and reasonable that they monitor and control any unhealthy behaviors by the recipients of such a benefit.

There are too many smokers, alchoholics, drug users and fat people in this country.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:

I'll take the word of the United States Supreme Court justices, they didn't get their law degrees from a crack jack box or online "college" like some liberal idiots around here.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why not. If the Gov't is going to give us free health care it's only fair and reasonable that they monitor and control any unhealthy behaviors by the recipients of such a benefit.

There are too many smokers, alchoholics, drug users and fat people in this country.
And there are too many @SSE$ .. posting in forums that think that anything (Including Health-care) is free!

Those same @SSE$ also tend to believe that THE GOVERNMENT .. "GIVES" or "PAYS" for Anything!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
I'm curious, what superglue did you use to keep your lips planted to his butt?

Edit: Just wanted to add that the article doesn't prove anything, so if you were planning on reading it, folks- don't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies