Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Not likely. I could incite a riot with a few million dollars, that would bring down this country in a hail of fiery atoms with the absolutely toxic environment we currently have.
A few million dollars?
Really?
I can do the same for free via social media.
Can I have that $ you are about to waste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:47 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
The government of the United States is far, far superior to what any bubba left, right or indifferent would come up with in the aftermath of the revolution. With that belief firmly in my mind and my heart, I would fight until the flesh was ripped off my bones to defend this country against any violent overthrow. I'm sure tens of millions agree with me. This isn't some two-bit country like Syria where only a tiny elite have a stake. This is the United States, where all of us are stakeholders. When you do your calculations, take that into account. No one has ever tried to topple a government that is so firmly owned by the people as ours. Sure, it might have gotten too large and too powerful for some -- that's what the ballot box is for, use it to shrink it down to what you consider to be a good size. (Keep in mind you're not the only one voting, and some of us think a powerful government is appropriate.) Until the day that we cease to have free and open elections comes, there is no reason whatsoever to think about revolution. Those who do so are tyrants who are unwilling to abide by our democratic customs and traditions. I will not allow them to rule over me under any circumstances. Again, I am sure tens of millions feel the same and will stand with me. Anyone who is feeling froggy enough to jump is going to unleash a fury they wish they would have kept on the chain.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM

93 posts, read 71,611 times
Enjoy having your IP tapped into via the Patriot Act for making such a thread.

Seriously. This was not clever. You think it's OK to talk about overthrowing the government and its' organization on an internet forum? Do you seriously think if so and so cousin forwards this thread to his buddy in the FBI that they won't tap your phones/internet?

Some people seem to not properly understand this medium and how it works. Too comfortable from the living room...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The government of the United States is far, far superior to what any bubba left, right or indifferent would come up with in the aftermath of the revolution. With that belief firmly in my mind and my heart, I would fight until the flesh was ripped off my bones to defend this country against any violent overthrow. I'm sure tens of millions agree with me. This isn't some two-bit country like Syria where only a tiny elite have a stake. This is the United States, where all of us are stakeholders. When you do your calculations, take that into account. No one has ever tried to topple a government that is so firmly owned by the people as ours. Sure, it might have gotten too large and too powerful for some -- that's what the ballot box is for, use it to shrink it down to what you consider to be a good size. (Keep in mind you're not the only one voting, and some of us think a powerful government is appropriate.) Until the day that we cease to have free and open elections comes, there is no reason whatsoever to think about revolution. Those who do so are tyrants who are unwilling to abide by our democratic customs and traditions. I will not allow them to rule over me under any circumstances. Again, I am sure tens of millions feel the same and will stand with me. Anyone who is feeling froggy enough to jump is going to unleash a fury they wish they would have kept on the chain.
I don't totally disagree, but I think you would get an argument from people in prison, 'bubbas' or otherwise. We have by far the highest incarceration rate of any nation, 743 per 100,000. Cuba @437, Iran @333, Mexico @200, and Pakistan @40.
List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2012, 12:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't totally disagree, but I think you would get an argument from people in prison. We have by far the highest incarceration rate of any nation, 743 per 100,000. Cuba @437, Iran @333, Mexico @200, and Pakistan @40.
List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This country is not without its faults. However, we have a very effective, legitimate way to change our government. It's the ballot box. Anyone who is looking to change our government by any other method is someone who doesn't want to abide by democratic elections. This type of person can not be trusted to protect our freedoms, rights and privelages. Could they be trusted to hold a democratic election if they refused to abide by the one that the government they overthew held? Of course not. That's why this talk goes nowhere in America. Hating the government is an American as apple pie. Hate the government? Change it up. See you at the voting booth.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
I think all we'd have to do is petition the UN to bomb K street & think tanks. That will go a long way to disrupting bribery long enough to get the system to clean itself up. That and an armed militia prohibiting straggling lobbyists from speaking to anyone but the general public about their schemes rather than the confidential settings they're enjoying conspiring against America.

Treason only needs to be enforced, here, folks. Justice dept is bought and paid for too? How did that happen?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Why do I get the sense that this is an arousing fantasy for a lot of the gun-toting reactionaries that hang out around here?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor2483 View Post

Seriously. This was not clever. You think it's OK to talk about overthrowing the government and its' organization on an internet forum? Do you seriously think if so and so cousin forwards this thread to his buddy in the FBI that they won't tap your phones/internet?

Some people seem to not properly understand this medium and how it works. Too comfortable from the living room...
Why not just have everyone wave hello to the FBI? Once they arrest us all, there won't be a country anymore and at least health care will be solved, right?

Besides, I have a feeling some agent in the FBI would side with us saying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot once too often in their careers.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Why do I get the sense that this is an arousing fantasy for a lot of the gun-toting reactionaries that hang out around here?
I think it's a good thing they're in this forum plotting and scheming rather than out running amok with random BS. I think this has constructive value to it for the sake of national course correction. Obama has a considerable amount of unfinished work to do and if he isn't sincerely meaning to eradicate the Patriot Act, we need to get a better plan together. It's an anathema. It cannot stand on our soil. Period.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor2483 View Post

I was thinking this as well. Not bright... but this is the kind of thing you expect from this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies