Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,382,148 times

Advertisements

Yes, I identify myself as very feminine because, not only do I love being a woman, but it is also a huge advantage in my male-dominated field (engineering). It bewilders me why so many women in my field try to make themselves look more manly to compete. I find that it is best to take advantage of my feminine strengths (which come naturally), rather than try to blend in and become more masculine. The only downside is that you tend to get hit on a very lot when you are one of the few feminine presences in a masculine arena. I have had to develop strategies to deal with that.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You are very naughty doing that
Yeah, I know its bad, but Im almost 50. I dont need to prove anything to anyone anymore and what the heck I like the entertainment.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
What's wrong with being proud to be a woman or a man? I love being a woman! I love dressing up and wearing dresses and looking nice. I also love watching football and screaming at the TV. I love that I got to have a baby. I love being a woman. And I love that I'm with someone who loves being a man. What's the problem?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
I like being a woman too. My skin is soft, I have nice breasts to play with and my hair is silky and pretty. The only time my gender is an issue is in forums and at work when we have a violent patient. Then I defer to the big men.

Sometimes I wish I was a guy though, it's so much more convenient to pee standing up.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice some people, women in particular, make a big thing out of being a woman. Yes, I DO realise men are largely responsible for this, nor am I saying it's a bad thing...but it's like they strongly identify as a woman, rather than just as a person. Like they'll always say things like 'I did pretty good for a woman,' 'I'm a spunky girl,' 'girls should do this, or that'...always raising their gender as a reason to do something, or not to do something.

The opposite would be a guy who is afraid to do anything 'girly', who tends to play up his masculinity, his role as a 'man.'

People who tend to only have friends of their own sex, with stereotypical male or female interests would likely be more gender 'typical' or conscious.

Sometimes I feel kind of genderless. Being male feels 'right' to me - definitely not a transsexual, the idea of actually being a woman would seem weird, but I can imagine it. More it's all the societal pressures that women have to face. But a lot of the time I see myself as just a person, and when I relate to women it's seldom in a gender-conscious way. Sometimes I feel almost self-conscious to even raise gender, although it's probably because I'm shy. I guess having some a friend who is trans, and knowing some ***** people, or otherwise nerdy/non-mainstream people also has an affect on it.

But yes, some people are always saying things like 'guys will do this, or girls are like that' - it's like they make a big deal of gender. I would call such people very gender-conscious people, who see the differences more than the similarities.

Not bashing those who do...I know the genders are different, but generally I only raise points of differences when absolutely necessary.
I think anyone who has a problem being in the skin they're in because of societal pressures and expectations is insecure to begin with.

It doesn't have anything to do with gender identification, or gender pressures, they are the pressures you impose on yourself for living in your daily life.

Familiarize yourself with the word Archetype and understand it.

Archetype - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are extremes or exaggerations in gender portrayal that happens in entertainment programming. It's artistic license. It's been done that way for years. It's not a map for you to mold yourself after, it's not a template for you to carve out your own gender persona or feel insecure about or measure yourself up to, it's entertainment. Should it stop? I don't know why it should... why should it make someone uncomfortable in their own skin to see ultra feminine women or effeminate men, or super macho he-man type guys? Do you think that unless you're behaving in those terms that you're not female enough, or male enough? If you do you have a problem with your interpretation of gender, and just because you're uncomfortable doesn't mean anyone else is.

I'm a female. I'm not ultra feminine, I'm not masculine. I'm me. And I don't have to question my gender to identify with being a female because it comes naturally to me and I don't have to exaggerate it or pretend it or go through extreme lengths to convince anyone around me that i'm a female.

I live in a westernized society, I live in American society, and in MY society there are all sorts of people who present themselves in different ways. I don't need to make sense of how someone presents themself in society. It's their life. So there are ultra feminine women, I'm fine with that, it doesn't make me question my femininity to see a female super feminine. I just don't have the care or time for that kind of high maintenance lifestyle. Women come in different degrees of femininity, just as males come in different degrees of masculinity. If it makes you uncomfortable then you have to ask yourself why you are uncomfortable in how you present yourself to the world and how you are perceived by others.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 03-13-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,382,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think anyone who has a problem being in the skin they're in because of societal pressures and expectations is insecure to begin with.

It doesn't have anything to do with gender identification, or gender pressures, they are the pressures you impose on yourself for living in your daily life.

Familiarize yourself with the word Archetype and understand it.

Archetype - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are extremes or exaggerations in gender portrayal that happens in entertainment programming. It's artistic license. It's been done that way for years. It's not a map for you to mold yourself after, it's not a template for you to carve out your own gender persona or feel insecure about or measure yourself up to, it's entertainment. Should it stop? I don't know why it should... why should it make someone uncomfortable in their own skin to see ultra feminine women or effeminate men, or super macho he-man type guys? Do you think that unless you're behaving in those terms that you're not female enough, or male enough? If you do you have a problem with your interpretation of gender, and just because you're uncomfortable doesn't mean anyone else is.

I'm a female. I'm not ultra feminine, I'm not masculine. I'm me. And I don't have to question my gender to identify with being a female because it comes naturally to me and I don't have to exaggerate it or pretend it or go through extreme lengths to convince anyone around me that i'm a female.
Great post... I do think a healthy, gender-secure person may exaggerate their gender traits to their advantage for reasons other than entertainment programming.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Great post... I do think a healthy, gender-secure person may exaggerate their gender traits to their advantage for reasons other than entertainment programming.
Additionally, someone's gender behavior is partially created after those who influenced them (first) and the most in their lives, their very first archetype. Mother and Father.

That's called modelling (observational development) - with regard to psychology.

Social Learning Theory

If there's a crack in that glass (where the child doesn't feel complete in their gender development), it's quite possible that they don't have the self esteem and inner security to feel strong in the gender role they were born into for one reason or another which goes back to their very first archetypes (mom and dad). And they'll question their gender, and other's gender role choices.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I never did, especially when I was younger. I admit now that I do when I can use it to my advantage. I milk it, baby. I find that most men respond well to it and will fall over themselves and pufff with pride to lift stuff and do icky jobs for me if I act like I cant do it because Im female.
smart woman

Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post

You can be ok with being a "woman", but there are over 7 billion people, all with their own definitions of what a woman should be.
key word being "should"...we all know what a woman IS though..don't we, and the most appealing thing of all, is a woman who loves being who and what she is

Old 03-13-2012, 04:51 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Why does it seem like a bunch of relationship forum threads end up getting dumped into "Politics and Other Controversies".

Is it that when it becomes too controversial it becomes political?

The politics is the personal, after all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.