Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Well holy crap my screen name is my beloved saddlebred show horse. Why don't you go ride? Horse people are far to opinionated in my opinion and you aren't helping matters.
I was responding to the other poster that called me 'Ms.' I am a guy. I don't ride anymore. Sold my Percherons 2 years ago.

'Helping matters' is when people will step up to the plate and be responsible for their own actions. It is really simple.

BTW, personal attacks really don't 'help matters' either. Moderator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
No, I think that if I say 'hit me' when I have a 20 at the blackjack table, that is being oblivious.

I also think that if the individual and their parent(s) didn't plan for college, then there is a much stronger word than 'oblivious'.

You take the loan, you get the money, you pay it off. If it doesn't work that way, then I think I am going on a spending spree, on your nickel.
Let me go get a 65' yacht, and your tax dollars can pay for it. Sounds like a good plan to me.
Have at it. But I'm guessing you won't find anyone to give you a loan for a 65' yacht, unless you are one of the recent megamillion winners. Now why is that, I wonder?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The decline of America, at the behest of our refusal to place a premimum on Personal Responsibility, is even steeper than we ever thought it could be in the United States of America. After 10 years of payments, federal student loans would be absorbed by taxpayers.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr4170ih.pdf

I can't even wrap my head around this. What should be a complete outrage is complete numbness. How in the hell did we get here?
Brainwashing of the masses by the government/media complex.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

I do not consider you an American. You are what is destroying America.
I guess I should stop helping others, donating my time and effort to those who need it, and jump ship to New Zealand. Apparently my altruism (to responsible adults only) is unwelcome here.

(If you want to do a tit-for-tat, DM me).

Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Have at it. But I'm guessing you won't find anyone to give you a loan for a 65' yacht, unless you are one of the recent megamillion winners. Now why is that, I wonder?

It appears that there are many people that have no concept of a 'startup company'. Megamillions are for people that can't do math. My manager has a J135. But who cares?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It appears that there are many people that have no concept of a 'startup company'. Megamillions are for people that can't do math. My manager has a J135. But who cares?
So now individuals are startup companies? Guess it makes sense as corporations are individuals. But investors invest money in a startup company because of a promising idea, not simply because the company exists. And even in the case of a company that has a promising idea, the dot.com bust amply illustrated, investor beware!!

Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you guessed wrong. But that is ok.

I just figured that if so many people can borrow money, and then default on it with no penalty, we might as well all get into the game.

It is quickly changing from "Land Of The Free" to "Home of the Charity Case".

To be fair, if I were a loan officer, and saw a student that wanted to borrow money for college to study "Why Sylvester the Cat and Tweety Bird cannot get along", (or about 50 other useless degrees), then I would require co-signers, and a bond placed to recoup the expense.
Simple enough.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So now individuals are startup companies? Guess it makes sense as corporations are individuals. But investors invest money in a startup company because of a promising idea, not simply because the company exists. And even in the case of a company that has a promising idea, the dot.com bust amply illustrated, investor beware!!

(Not to digress from the theme of this thread too much):

Individuals have nothing to do with companies (of any sort), other than they are what makes a company strong and successful. Not sure of your point.

What makes this country strong is the desire/motivation/skill/talent of its workforce. Not all industries (like tsome of the dot.com) survive (though google is $111B). Most of the successful start-ups I would wager you never heard about. (running under the radar). Perhaps we could get a response from an informed poster.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Mine in red.
I think you don't get it. This isn't business as usual; employment in America has undergone a massive structural depletion of jobs.

Think of it as a statistical distribution. In the upper portion, there will always be people employed; your nephew is probably an outlier at the top of that distribution. But the distribution of those employed is now significantly skewed - i.e., many more people who before could find jobs but now can't. Those people didn't know four years or more ago when they selected their majors that the economy was going to go off a cliff. Sure, things will eventually level out and improve, but those people have bills to pay now - so it becomes a cash flow issue.

Are there people who were irresponsible and picked silly majors? Sure. Is personal responsibility important? Of course. But there are also whole legions of those who were just trying to get through and get degrees in areas that did offer employment in the past - law degrees, education, marketing, etc. Those people got caught up in a system of irresponsibility that extended way beyond them; it extended to the very fundamental forces that were causing excess debt in all aspects of our society, not just in education. And the outcome was that many jobs that were previously on the table have now vanished.

So there is a real structural problem here. You need to stop looking at the world as, "oh, my nephew got a job; therefore, everything is fine and all the people are just lazy / should have picked a different major / etc." Liberals have a tendency to over-involve the government, but conservatives have a tendency to oversimplify reality and ignore structural / systemic problems. We're in the aftermath of one of the worst recessions ever - wake up... Of course there is going to be a problem with education loans in the wake of that.

Last edited by ambient; 04-01-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you guessed wrong. But that is ok.

I just figured that if so many people can borrow money, and then default on it with no penalty, we might as well all get into the game.

It is quickly changing from "Land Of The Free" to "Home of the Charity Case".

To be fair, if I were a loan officer, and saw a student that wanted to borrow money for college to study "Why Sylvester the Cat and Tweety Bird cannot get along", (or about 50 other useless degrees), then I would require co-signers, and a bond placed to recoup the expense.
Simple enough.
This is my whole point!!! If lenders want to make loans to people based on the fact that they are breathing and want to go to college, then the lenders get what they deserve in terms of people defaulting. Glad you finally got your thinking cap on.

Quote:
(Not to digress from the theme of this thread too much):

Individuals have nothing to do with companies (of any sort), other than they are what makes a company strong and successful. Not sure of your point.
You've never heard of corporate personhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies