Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 PM

488 posts, read 554,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It was tough in my day but my parents couldn't afford to pay my way and I refused to borrow money to go to school so I had to work my butt off, but I made it, anyway.
How much did school cost when you went? I have family members who paid their way through college working full time at relatively low paying jobs. When I went to college the costs were astronomically higher, but the jobs weren't paying higher. I admit I willingly chose to take out loans to pursue my education, and I knew anything I took out would one day have to be repaid with interest. I also admit I didn't work hard enough in high school to receive scholarships. That was my mistake and the best I can do is not make the same mistake twice.

I have trouble paying on my loans at times. Loan forgiveness sounds appealing. Very appealing. However, those here who say it's my responsibility are absolutely correct. I was a bit misguided and should have done my homework, but it's not fair for me to demand you, a taxpayer, to give me some of your money to help pay off my debts.

It has been a good life lesson and I'm much more careful and considerate in the business I conduct now because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
[quote=Cav Scout wife;23690382]
Naw, some of the can be longer, but under this proposed plan, you make payments based on 10% of your adjusted gross income for ten yrs, then the remainder (as long as it's less than $45,520) will be forgiven./quote]

If you're living on a poverty level income, 10% can be a major problem.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
[quote=freemkt;23721854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Naw, some of the can be longer, but under this proposed plan, you make payments based on 10% of your adjusted gross income for ten yrs, then the remainder (as long as it's less than $45,520) will be forgiven./quote]

If you're living on a poverty level income, 10% can be a major problem.

Very few who graduate with a degree are living at the poverty level. I actualy wonder if you post a lot of BS , or you realy did screw up as bad as you say.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 AM

[quote=waterboy7375;23721889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Very few who graduate with a degree are living at the poverty level. I actualy wonder if you post a lot of BS , or you realy did screw up as bad as you say.

I worked a few years in a convenience store where we had two dozen employees, of whom a half dozen had degrees. We weren't at poverty level because none of us had kids, but we were close.

If very few are living at the poverty level, it shouldn't cost much to give them more affordable repayment terms.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
I have trouble paying on my loans at times. Loan forgiveness sounds appealing. Very appealing. However, those here who say it's my responsibility are absolutely correct. I was a bit misguided and should have done my homework, but it's not fair for me to demand you, a taxpayer, to give me some of your money to help pay off my debts.

Loan forgiveness is not the right answer, but reasonable repayment terms are long overdue. I'm living on a poverty level income and paying 10% of it on a student loan, plus a collection agency wants another 10% on the same loan.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I suggest a 10% surcharge on your income tax for the first 100k in loans, 15% for the next 100 and 25% for all above. These would apply for the rest of your life.

Thus those that went to school to make money would, if successful, pay a lot because they make a lot and those that went to school for education or just to serve would pay little because they make little.

All loans would be handled through the Federal government at government interest rates. There is no need to subsidize the private sector loan sharks.

Curent loans should be converted to this system.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest a 10% surcharge on your income tax for the first 100k in loans, 15% for the next 100 and 25% for all above. These would apply for the rest of your life.

I would agree, if it only applied to the person that took the loan, and until the loan was paid off.

Thus those that went to school to make money would, if successful, pay a lot because they make a lot and those that went to school for education or just to serve would pay little because they make little.

I see... let's kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Life is full of choices. Good choices are beneficial to you, and bad choices have negative consequences. So, I guess we should penalize those that make good choices.

(The earthworm major is something that I think I would refuse to pay for).
Is there a lack of understanding of 'capitalism' here?

All loans would be handled through the Federal government at government interest rates. There is no need to subsidize the private sector loan sharks.

Oh great... one more thing the Feds can mess up. If you made your bed, you should sleep in it.

Curent loans should be converted to this system.

I am trying to avoid projectile vomiting, but I think if I take another Prilosec I will be ok.
Mine in red.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I red your comments and noted their relevancy to my suggestions. There is none.

Applying the payback to only the individual is inherent in the idea and should not need explaining.

It is just making the fattest goose pay the most. No geese are killed. The strivingist geese just put out more because they are obsessed.

Medicare has less than 5% administrative overhead. This is far less than any private sector insurance.

I am glad I elicited a response to my post. I am not writing to please you or anyone else but to put out suggestions for making our country a better place for all of us not just the affluent few. Have a satisfying vomit.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
No offense but if their is no jobs, how can you pay your bills? Should I open up lemonade stand and reach for the sky?

The problem is inflation, lower wages, outsourcing, low wage jobs, illegal immigration. I'd start their before you point the finger at student loan forgiveness act.

Also these debt ceiling for student loans are almost at its peak. Once it boils over, what's next?
So the bank that lent the money is just supposed to take a loss? Or get the government (and taxpayers) to cover the bad decision by the student to borrow the money?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yti2002 View Post
Play the system or get played by it. I want loam forgiveness, because I don't wanna pay the huge bill.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
I want to convince myself this is sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Chalk another vote up for Barack Obama. These are his people. ^^^^^^ He owns them and their mentality.
If not, hence the reason for a Decline of America thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies