Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,822,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
One of these days conservatives will admit they're not the only taxpayers. I personally pay a tax rate that is DOUBLE the friggin rate of the Republican nominee for president.
Yet he paid 100 times in actual dollars than you did in all likelihood. Dollars buy things, percentages do not. Would you rather pay twice the percentage, or 100 times the dollars? Most making under 60k a year pay nothing in federal taxes after their own deductions. Just saying, the percentage argument is ridiculous at that level of taxation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Neither do i. Are the Iraqi's and Afghan's gonna pay us back for the multi-billions we've dumped into those countries?

Nope. But forgiving the debt of Americans is evil.
Forgiving legal debt is anti-American and rewarding bad decisions undermines the values that this nation was founded on. Perhaps you don't share those values?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,923,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Neither do i. Are the Iraqi's and Afghan's gonna pay us back for the multi-billions we've dumped into those countries?

Nope. But forgiving the debt of Americans is evil.
You have truly become a master of the art of deflection... Never address the issue but rather deflect to another topic.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,057,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You speak of lots of "pushing" things on college kids. Who's doing the pushing? What are they pushing? I've never had anything pushed on me that I wasn't able to deflect using my own good judgement and common sense. Are you suggesting that college students aren't smart enough to do their own calculations about their own future?
Certainly, I often meet deluded American students.

I met some American girls in Brazil, and they complained that the government wouldn't pay for their studies. Then I asked, so what are you studying. They replied, film studies. They also thought they would easily get a job. This was right before the recession

I would love to ask them why tax payers should pay for their useless degree, that only benefit themselves, while they spend their money travelling to Brazil.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,688,338 times
We must take action today to defeat this bill. Although it sounds like a nice idea there are serious accountability issues. Schools do not research the market place to insure training offered is actually needed in the market place. People must be responsibile for their poor choices.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
We must take action today to defeat this bill. Although it sounds like a nice idea there are serious accountability issues. Schools do not research the market place to insure training offered is actually needed in the market place. People must be responsibile for their poor choices.
I agree wholeheartedly. While the bad economy makes this legislation attractive...particularly to those who can't pay their bills....the reality is that we have to take a hard stand against a government that insists on subsidizing bad decisions. Personal Responsibility has to be upheld in this nation, in good times and bad.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,835,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Most making under 60k a year pay nothing in federal taxes after their own deductions.
False. I paid a heck of a lot of taxes, and I believe many that are young, single, and only a few years out of school do the same. If I paid nothing in federal taxes I could have cut down a huge portion of my student loans.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The decline of America, at the behest of our refusal to place a premimum on Personal Responsibility, is even steeper than we ever thought it could be in the United States of America. After 10 years of payments, federal student loans would be absorbed by taxpayers.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr4170ih.pdf

I can't even wrap my head around this. What should be a complete outrage is complete numbness. How in the hell did we get here?
I checked Representative Hansen Clarke of Michigan as to party and other personal information about him. He is a Democrat, of course, as can be seen by reading his bill. He is a graduate of the Georgetown School of Law. Now where have we seen that one mentioned lately. I found nothing about this but I am sure he is interested in buying a few votes this fall for himself and is trying to instigate the Obama promise to provide FREE college for many.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Yet he paid 100 times in actual dollars than you did in all likelihood. Dollars buy things, percentages do not. Would you rather pay twice the percentage, or 100 times the dollars? Most making under 60k a year pay nothing in federal taxes after their own deductions. Just saying, the percentage argument is ridiculous at that level of taxation.
So what?

He still paid a higher rate than I did. Shame on the Reps for nominating a guy who has a lower rate than many Americans! If Obama pulled this stunt the Reps would never stop complaining about it.

People like Romney suck. They earn most of the dollars in this country by voting themselves raises for doing nothing but screwing over the middle class. Then they whine when they have to pay taxes on their income. I'm sick of it. Talk about lack of personal responsibility and fairness!

A hedge fund manager does not contribute more to this country than I do. He should damned well not be taxed at a lower rate than I am.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just read an article in the WaPo yesterday that student loans, faulty student loans, are the next economic bubble to burst. Won't be as bad as the housing situation, but close enough. So, this really doesn't surprise me.

How'd we get here? Same as with housing. Pushing the "American Dream". Everyone should own a home whether or not you can afford it and everyone should be able to go to college, not just rich folks. I guess when the economy is booming, neither sentiment is a bad thing--doesn't work so well when things fall apart.

Lending practices have just been too damn easy for about 15 years.
Glenn Beck just reported that student debt was about $100 billion in 2010 and at the end of 2011 had grown to $867 billion. I wonder what caused that amount to grow so much in one year. Maybe the promise of something like this bill was involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies