U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 14,333,754 times

Advertisements

Friedman, Hayek, Williams and Sowell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,522,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
He passed away in 2006, seems pretty modern to me.

Friedman's last economic paper or theory to be proposed was in 1997. After that he wrote mainly editorial and opinion pieces. Editorial and opinion are NOT economic theory, hypothesis or actual work.

15 years, is not "modern". He's probably very happy to have passed in 2006, before his supply side "theory" collapsed like the Hindenburg.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM

5,866 posts, read 4,597,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Which modern economist do you credit for knowing the most about Macroeconomics?

My favorite is Paul Krugman. He knows everything about monetary policies, trade, and taxes.
Paul Krugman...oh boy. I prefer economists who know what the hell they're talking about. My favorite current economist is Thomas Woods. He's forgotten more about economics than Krugman's ever known.
Tom Woods

Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 PM

5,866 posts, read 4,597,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard

www.mises.org
Definitely great minds but I was under the impression the criteria for this thread was living economists? I could be wrong however.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM

46,932 posts, read 19,452,340 times
Jefrrey Sachs

Recent Book - "The Price of Civilization"

Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM

14,371 posts, read 9,030,492 times
Krugman?

He's another internationalist who believes Obama isn't leaning far enough left. In other words, an economist who believes we can spend our way out of debt. Never mind his tasteless class warfare quips and blanket mentality "Republicans are the party of the stupid!" At least he actually did something to win his Nobel unlike the person currently occupying the White House.

An economist avoids waste or reduces expenditures.

Friedrich Hayek (fatal conceit), could have economized circles around Krugman. However, I'll back any economist that says the FED should be abolished.

Last edited by steven_h; 03-12-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 09:33 PM

6,941 posts, read 8,945,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Jefrrey Sachs

Recent Book - "The Price of Civilization"
Great book.

He's one of my favorites

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Paul Krugman...oh boy. I prefer economists who know what the hell they're talking about. My favorite current economist is Thomas Woods. He's forgotten more about economics than Krugman's ever known.
Tom Woods
Tom Woods is not an economist.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 PM

6,941 posts, read 8,945,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Krugman?

He's another internationalist who believes Obama isn't leaning far enough left. In other words, an economist who believes we can spend our way out of debt. Never mind his tasteless class warfare quips and blanket mentality "Republicans are the party of the stupid!" At least he actually did something to win his Nobel unlike the person currently occupying the White House.

Friedrich Hayek (fatal conceit), however I'll back any economist that says the FED should be abolished.
The fed doesn't need to be abolished. It just needs to be tweaked to be in the interest of the people instead of banks.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM

14,371 posts, read 9,030,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The fed doesn't need to be abolished. It just needs to be tweaked to be in the interest of the people instead of banks.
That's like saying a rabid dog doesn't need to be killed, just shot. The FED was setup by bankers for bankers and can never be "fixed" to work for the people.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 AM

29,724 posts, read 37,254,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Friedman's last economic paper or theory to be proposed was in 1997. After that he wrote mainly editorial and opinion pieces. Editorial and opinion are NOT economic theory, hypothesis or actual work.

15 years, is not "modern". He's probably very happy to have passed in 2006, before his supply side "theory" collapsed like the Hindenburg.
Well that's a nasty display of rhetorical gymnastics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies