Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times

Advertisements

Agreed... on four-lane roads (two in each direction) I try to stay on the right side since the left is for passing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
It will be interesting to see if the idea spreads--I'm sure it would be very popular and could be yet another way for states to suck revenue. But even I would support it. I'm generally a grandpa-driver but I am very careful to stay out of the left lane.

However, I think the idea of giving tickets for going too slow would really go against the nannyist culture. I doubt that it would ever pass here. It's a really problem here in the Seattle area, and most people attribute it to passive-aggressive nannyism. People thinking that if they drive in the left lane a couple mph under the limit, no one will be able to speed, and they'll be doing the world a favor. Who knows if it's true, but that is a common theory around here.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
You can raise the fine to $10,000 if you like and it won't make one damned bit of difference if it isn't enforced.

A car can hang around in the left lane up the New Jersey Turnpike from Delaware to the GW Bridge and nobody will ever say boo to him. But, let a TRUCK hit that left lane for even an instant and he's toast.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
I like driving the speed limit in the left lane. Gives me a great view of the road ahead of me.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
I'm not an advocate for non-courteous driving, but as populated as it is out east and in almost every city, there's not much point to trying to follow the pass and move right practice if all you end up doing is weaving between lanes over and over.

Now I used to get a little bent up if I couldn't drive as fast as I wanted, but I figured out something as I matured: if someone is going at least the speed limit (and is passing, just not very quickly), then it's not a real problem. It's not another driver's duty to facilitate my desire to exceed the speed limit, so I'm just going to have to relax and go around when I can (and without being an ass about it).

Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I'm not an advocate for non-courteous driving, but as populated as it is out east and in almost every city, there's not much point to trying to follow the pass and move right practice if all you end up doing is weaving between lanes over and over.

Now I used to get a little bent up if I couldn't drive as fast as I wanted, but I figured out something as I matured: if someone is going at least the speed limit (and is passing, just not very quickly), then it's not a real problem. It's not another driver's duty to facilitate my desire to exceed the speed limit, so I'm just going to have to relax and go around when I can (and without being an ass about it).
Nonsense...it's the duty of every driver to get the hell out of the left lane once they're finished passing someone. If someone wants to enforce the speed limit, then become a freakin' cop. Otherwise, get out of the way and let the guy behind you do some speeding!

It's not a matter of being mature or being older...it's a matter of courteousness and being the right thing to do.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
So now the ones driving the speed limit will get a ticket for "clogging" along with those tailgaiting em to get out of the way so they can speed and get a ticket. And folks thinks this is a good idea. LOL. No wonder politicians think the voting public is so gdam stupid.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Otherwise, get out of the way and let the guy behind you do some speeding!
Yo dude. Stay behind me. Read my bumpersnickers. Have a nice day.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
And another thing -- why is anyone in a hurry to get anywhere in Jersey?

1. Stop at the WaWa.
2. Grab a Tastykake.
4. Smell the coffee.

(Oops, forgot 3. Pay for it. Pay that man in the turban.)

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
LOL @ the affect of this. Puhleeze. This is a money move.
For those who dont know NJ
1) There is a cop of some sort spaced approximately 100 feet apart on any regularly traveled road.
2) This is how any non serious offense goes (NJ is a stickler about insurance and DUI so those dont count): Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT! Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT! Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT! Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT!
3) The wealthy here (and there are a TON OF EM) send money to various charities supported by and for cops. This gets them get out of jail free cards that get them out of anything short of DUI and even that might disappear if you have the NJSP gold card. Local cards dont usually work on NJSP. NJSP are the top of the food chain. My ex boss had quite a collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies