Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
LOL @ NJ traffic fines. Puhleeze. This is a money move.
For those who dont know NJ
1) There is a cop of some sort spaced approximately 100 feet apart on any regularly traveled road.
2) This is how any non serious offense goes (NJ is a stickler about insurance and DUI so those dont count): Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT! Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT! Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT! Prosecutor. Plead guilty to this new charge, it carries a larger fine and NO POINTS, Its only a matter of what we find you guilty of. NEXT!
3) The wealthy here (and there are a TON OF EM) send money to various charities supported by and for cops. This gets them get out of jail free cards that get them out of anything short of DUI and even that might disappear if you have the NJSP gold card. Local cards dont usually work on NJSP. NJSP are the top of the food chain. My ex boss had quite a collection.
Damn, I miss Jersey. I'm choking up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Me too!

I don't know if people are just too stupid to notice that they are holding up a whole line of traffic, or if they go out of their way to do it on purpose.

The other a-hole I hate is the idiot that goes slow on a 2-lane, no passing road and holds up a line of traffic, then goes like he** when there is a passing area or lane. Frickin' morons need to stay off the road.
As long as the car in front is going the speed limit you really can't complain, but yeah, if they're going under it can be annoying.

People just need to relax though. Speeding and driving aggressively hardly saves you any time.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense...it's the duty of every driver to get the hell out of the left lane once they're finished passing someone. If someone wants to enforce the speed limit, then become a freakin' cop. Otherwise, get out of the way and let the guy behind you do some speeding!

It's not a matter of being mature or being older...it's a matter of courteousness and being the right thing to do.
Did it ever occur to you the reason why people drive slow in whatever lane while realizing they're holding up traffic is because they are driving with untreated cataracts and may barely be able to see to drive at the slow speed they're at? So, of course, they better not speed up to suit you. That is compounded at night when advanced age results in decreased ability to see in the dark.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:10 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Nonsense...it's the duty of every driver to get the hell out of the left lane once they're finished passing someone. If someone wants to enforce the speed limit, then become a freakin' cop. Otherwise, get out of the way and let the guy behind you do some speeding!

It's not a matter of being mature or being older...it's a matter of courteousness and being the right thing to do.
I didn't say I like to clog the left lane, or don't move over myself. I just don't become irrational when someone going at or slightly above the limit doesn't move over right away. I slow down a little and wait for them to finish their passes.

If they're going the same speed as someone in front of them, and the right lane is moving slower, well, that's what happens on congested roads every day. (I'm just going to have to accept the horror of "only" going 58 instead of 64.)

If traffic is light and they seem clueless, then I eventually just go around on the right, leaving them to be their dumb and happy selves. I'm sure they're used to it, and I don't know them, so what do I really care? Live and let live.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 03-12-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
I don't know why this is so frickin' hard for Americans to grasp!!
Because nobody's ever told them they need to. Many states have pass-on-left-drive-on-right laws and then don't bother to enforce them.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you the reason why people drive slow in whatever lane while realizing they're holding up traffic is because they are driving with untreated cataracts and may barely be able to see to drive at the slow speed they're at? So, of course, they better not speed up to suit you. That is compounded at night when advanced age results in decreased ability to see in the dark.
That, plus the fact that many of us seniors are trying to balance a 40-ouncer between our legs while driving.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Here's a thought...if someone is that close to blind, get off the freekin' highway. No reason they should be putting someone elses life on the line.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
The slow drivers will file a lawsuit by morning, demanding equal opportunity to share a lane with the faster drivers. Millions will be spent in an attempt to bring them up to speed with their peers, but at the end of the day, they will always be slower.

The increased fines will be ruled a "toll tax" , which deny a slow driver's right to hog the lane.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Those darn lefties... Hogging the left lane...

Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I'm not an advocate for non-courteous driving, but as populated as it is out east and in almost every city, there's not much point to trying to follow the pass and move right practice if all you end up doing is weaving between lanes over and over.
Agreed, if the road is congested pick a lane and stay in it but you better be keeping up with the flow of traffic in whatever lane you pick.

Quote:
if someone is going at least the speed limit (and is passing, just not very quickly), then it's not a real problem. It's not another driver's duty to facilitate my desire to exceed the speed limit, so I'm just going to have to relax and go around when I can (and without being an ass about it).
Regardless of what the speed limit is the safest speed to drive is whatever the traffic is flowing at whether it's 30MPH or 100MPH. When someone is in the left lane impeding the flow of traffic in that lane they cause accidents. Probably the single biggest factor in Interstate accidents is arbitrary speed limits.

If you have one driver on semi congested road blocking traffic in the left lane they can effect the flow of traffic for miles behind them. As the traffic comes up on them they get all bunched up behind them and actually end up going slower than the slow driver, this is your choke point. Then they'll be able to speed up again and as they come up to slow driver again you get another choke point. These choke points can go back in waves for miles if there is a lot of traffic on the road, that's where your start and stop flow of traffic comes from on the highway. Not only is the slow driver creating a dangerous condition directly behind them but numerous dangerous conditions for miles of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies