U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM

18,603 posts, read 17,971,576 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that many self identified liberal posters on here respond to just about any topic with a retort having to do with bankers or the money spent on the Iraq/Afghan Wars.

Is it possible to have a rational discussion on a topic without bringing in irrelevant analogies to banks and wars?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

12,230 posts, read 12,278,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I've noticed that many self identified liberal posters on here respond to just about any topic with a retort having to do with bankers or the money spent on the Iraq/Afghan Wars.

Is it possible to have a rational discussion on a topic without bringing in irrelevant analogies to banks and wars?
You could just as easily say: I've noticed that many self identified conservative posters on here repond to just about any topic with a retort having to do with Obama or the money spent by the federal government.

Is it possible to have a rational discussion on a topic without bringing in irrelevant analogies to Obama and the federal government?

---

We can have rational conversations on here, but we have to ignore the simplistic ideologues. Your side has them, just as mine does.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM

37,705 posts, read 67,338,288 times
Quote:
I dunno. Is it possible to have a rational discussion on a topic without bringing in irrelevant analogies to Nancy Pelosi or welfare queens?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,678,116 times
When I hear the Reps screech about personal responsibility and then support bailouts for bankers I laugh. Why do conservatives constantly complain about some poor shmoe on food stamps and then defend the right of bankers to demand we subsidize their profits and screw ups? The modern republican party is built around a handful of idiotic ideas. One of them is privatize profits and socialize loss. So a banker who makes all sorts of stupid calls gets told he's too big to fail but the Reps whine when someone loses his job through no fault of his own and wants to keep his health insurance.

It's hypocrisy.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 PM

23,837 posts, read 21,568,987 times
Quote:

I agree.

Why do so many people forumlate their opinions based on the outcome of something completely different? Is it not possible, for example, to disagree with student loan bailouts while also disagreeing with the War On Terror? Is it not possible to not use the wars to show approval for another disastrous policy by the USG?

"I support funding for Planned Parenthood because we spent money in Iraq!!!"

It makes no sense. Yet it happens all the time on this forum.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM

34,194 posts, read 37,712,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree.

Why do so many people forumlate their opionions based on the outcome of something completely different? Is it not possible, for example, to disagree with student loan bailouts while also disagreeing with the War On Terror? Is it not possible to not use the wars to show approval for another disastrous policy by the USG?

"I support funding for Planned Parenthood because we spent money in Iraq!!!"

It makes no sense. Yet it happens all the time on this forum.
Weren't you the one who brought up supporting multiple abortions on the student loan forgiveness thread?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM

23,837 posts, read 21,568,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Weren't you the one who brought up multiple abortions on the student loan thread?
In response to a poster of which I know his/her positions on personal responsibility quite well.

I think you completely missed the point of this thread. Nice try though.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 PM

57,054 posts, read 31,909,311 times
Quote:

No...it isn't. And it shouldn't be.

When i see you guys talking about money spent on this and that...where it involves American citizens and yet you refuse to come out swinging against 600 milion dollar embassies in Iraq, i'm obliged to call it out. Sorry, but that's just how it's gotta be. It's unreasonable to ask liberals to do anything else.

We have our pet peeves, and you have yours. Don't begrudge mine, and i won't begrudge yours (well...i'll try not to).

Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM

34,194 posts, read 37,712,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In response to a poster of which I know his/her positions on personal responsibility quite well.

I think you completely missed the point of this thread. Nice try though.
I think I got the point exactly. "irrelevant analogies".

Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM

20,136 posts, read 22,710,284 times
Guess no one will mind then if I blame the recent GI murderer in Afghanistan on Obama.

After all, he was going to get us OUT of those Bushist quagmires. Remember?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies