Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
As opposed to the binder of papers it takes to own a weapon in California. Last time I checked, the 2nd Amendment was still in effect.

"Maybe" is a cop-out answer. If your argument is that an ID requirement disenfrachises voters based on cost "poll tax", then free ID's mitigate that argument.
Does the 2nd amendment say there shall be no tax on guns? I'm not the one who spends an hour a day reading the constitution, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think there's anything in the constitution about no ID to buy a gun. The constitutional argument with this voter ID stuff is that it can be construed as a poll tax.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[8]

A hefty fee to own a weapon sounds like a "poll tax" (and infringement) to me....

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It seems Hawaii's and South Carolina's law is very similar except that one small alternative. I wonder if SC put that provision in there, would it then pass muster with the DOJ? Right now, from the point of view as a citizen of the state of SC, the DOJ's actions seem punitive and rooted in politics vice actual legal concerns. I wonder if SC did include that caveat, what would happen? That would indeed be revealing, I believe.
Not sure what SC law says so can;t comment, I;ll try and read it this morning. I sure if they had a small provsion that said that so long as a person can prove their identity through some other accepatble way spelled out in the law, I can;t see why anyone would object.

The law on Hawai'i to prove identity to vote is less strict than the law to prove the right to vote. It was easy for me to prove to Hawai'i I was over 18 I just showed my out of state drivers licenese. It was easy to prove to Hawai'i that I was a US citizen, I showed my passport. But to prove I lived at the address on my voters registartion was the tough one because the place was all under my employer and I really had no acceptable residency proof. I ended up having to do a Vouch For by the person I was replacing who had to take out the affidavit that I was living at that address.

The question I have is what is SC doing to prove that the person voting is indeed legaly voting only in that polling place and that they legally are within the boundaries of that voting place? This is not about identity, this is about preventing the most commo0n fraud of all and that is people moving around and the elections department doing absolutley squat to prevent people from voting in different states. Hawai'i is constatly looking at ways to identify people who could be doing this as the whole point of their system is to ensure the one person, one vote, in the correct voting place belief.

(I know many politicians hate this cause it catches their fraudulent switching of residences to campaign for office someplace they really were not legal residents. so its not just the voters this is designed to verify, but the politicians as well)

Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[8]

A hefty fee to own a weapon sounds like a "poll tax" (and infringement) to me....
Nope, nice try. The constitution says NO POLL TAXES, while the constitution gives us the right to bear arms it also gives congress the right to lay taxes....

Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
I don't think there's anything in the constitution about no ID to buy a gun. The constitutional argument with this voter ID stuff is that it can be construed as a poll tax.
Except that the argument being made by the left is not the poll tax argument, since that objection can be overcome by offering free state ID cards. The argument from the left is that blacks and other groups somehow lack the wherewithal to obtain ID, whether it's free or not. But this same argument would have applied to gun sales. If certain groups somehow can't manage to get ID, then their right to keep & bear arms has effectively been made null & void by GCA '68.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
We do not have a national ID card in this country. It's something many in this country are rather proud of. It seems like some of you are suggesting we go to some sort of mandatory ID system.
Ummm.... except this is a state issue and states already have ID's. You seem a little slow here, try to keep up ok?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It's not about illegal people voting, which also hasn't been shown to be a problem. It's about legitimate voters being discouraged from exercising their constitutional right to vote. The GOP's objective is to place stumbling blocks in the way of voters who demographically vote Democratic.
ACORN, anyone?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Hey..tell folks they will get $25 and you'll see them flooding the offices to get IDs

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I guess you're in a small minority.

Making someone drive as far as 176 miles to get the REQUIRED photo ID is one way. Sending a 86 year old veteran home without voting because his photo ID didn't have his address on it, is another.
Hopefully he doesn't drink, drive or smoke. If they do and don't have Id they are being discrimadated against.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It's not about illegal people voting, which also hasn't been shown to be a problem. It's about legitimate voters being discouraged from exercising their constitutional right to vote. The GOP's objective is to place stumbling blocks in the way of voters who demographically vote Democratic.
LOL

By the arguments democrats are making, simply requiring someone to breathe air in and out of their own damn mouths is a stumbling block for them.

What I find amusing is that the democrats make arguments that place their constituents at the level of being brain dead morons. It is really telling of how they view them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies