Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
For what it is worth, I would like to thank those in participation of this thread for having well thought responses. Too many times these threads regress into, well... you know.
Ditto. I've been reading the comments in this thread and have nothing of substance to add because this has been one of the most intelligent threads I've followed on ANY forum.

Kudos to all those who are contributing their substantive remarks and analysis here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 10:48 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Is it possible that the United States is giving aid and funds to an organization on its own terrorist watch list, well apparently this may just be the case.

Tell me again that the US is not provoking a confrontation with Iran, please.

British Daily Telegraph claimed that the US officers have regular meetings with the PKK terrorists in Northern Iraq. Damien McElroy in his report mentioned “US army helicopters are reportedly used to shuttle officers to regular meetings with Kurdish fighters”. Mr. McElroy interview with the head of the PKK terrorists, Murat Karayilan (means ‘Black Snake’ in Turkish language). Mr. Karayilan accepted the US assistance to the PKK yet argued that the US did very little for the Kurds and can do more.

Iran accused the US last week of supporting the terrorists against Tehran. Similarly the Turkish media blamed the Americans of being supporter of the PKK terrorism although the PKK is a terrorist organization according to the US laws.

JTW News - Daily Telegraph: US Officers Have Regular Meetings with PKK Terrorists

Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Is it possible that the United States is giving aid and funds to an organization on its own terrorist watch list, well apparently this may just be the case.

Tell me again that the US is not provoking a confrontation with Iran, please.

British Daily Telegraph claimed that the US officers have regular meetings with the PKK terrorists in Northern Iraq. Damien McElroy in his report mentioned “US army helicopters are reportedly used to shuttle officers to regular meetings with Kurdish fighters”. Mr. McElroy interview with the head of the PKK terrorists, Murat Karayilan (means ‘Black Snake’ in Turkish language). Mr. Karayilan accepted the US assistance to the PKK yet argued that the US did very little for the Kurds and can do more.

Iran accused the US last week of supporting the terrorists against Tehran. Similarly the Turkish media blamed the Americans of being supporter of the PKK terrorism although the PKK is a terrorist organization according to the US laws.

JTW News - Daily Telegraph: US Officers Have Regular Meetings with PKK Terrorists
I must question the objectivity of a Turkish opinion column dealing with Kurdish rebels. The Kurds are certainly an embarrassment and a threat to the Turks, the Iranians, and the Iraqis. Calling them "terrorists" is a clever use of the term by the oppressive regimes in Turkey and Iran, but does not permit any consideration of what the Kurds' motivation for seeking independence might be. I find it especially ironic that the Iranians (overtly) and Turks (covertly) both support Hamas and Fatah against Israel, but seek to hammer the Kurds into permanent subjection.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I must question the objectivity of a Turkish opinion column dealing with Kurdish rebels.
I question EVERY news piece I read, be it the NY Times, or the Crossville Chronicle.

Interesting development out of Russia. I wonder how this aspect of Russian-Iranian relations will play in the rising rhetoric.

DUBAI: After months of wrangling, Russia is set to ship nuclear fuel to Iran’s Bushehr facility, Iranian official media said.

Iran state television quoted Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki as saying, “Nuclear fuel for this power plant, inspected and sealed by the International Atomic Energy Agency, is ready.” He added that cooperation between Russia and Iran for the Bushehr power plant is now “moving.”

Russia is Iran’s key partner in the construction of the Bushehr atomic power plant. But there has been a delay in fuel shipments, after Moscow cited that Iran had defaulted on payments. Analysts, however, point out that it was likely that Russia had held up fuel shipments because Iran had defied the U.N Security Council’s demand that it should halt all domestic uranium enrichment.

Iran continues to produce small quantities of enriched uranium on its own. Mr. Mottaki made the announcement during his visit to Russia. In a related development, Iran’s President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has offered to work together with Saudi Arabia in the nuclear field.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 939 times
Your little assesment that Iran will never use a nuclear weapon is totally wrong. The crazy president of Iran believes that the destruction of Israel and the "Great Satan" will usher in the third Imam- to come at world's end. He's called for it over and over again. This is what he believes, as Hitler believed in his own occult. Your display of passiveness and ridicule is what paves the way for the destruction of millions of people. Thanks for playing.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
As to the USA not retaliating if ever attacked or bombed by even the slightest of a dirty bomb, Iran would be invaded or a sheet of glass before sundown regardless of what world opinion is.
Agreed, we gunned the Taliban down for their involvement with Osama Bin Laden, I don't see how this would be any different.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM

519 posts, read 688,656 times
Quote:
See this stuff, it is called Trinitite. This is what is left of the ground after a nuclear blast. It got its name from the first nuclear test site known as Trinity. A nice green glassy looking stuff… makes you want to buy some jewelry made of this huh?

Now, imagine an entire nation looking like the above sample, melted into green glass. It's not an idle fantasy. The US spent $5 trillion dollars (1950s dollars) building a nuclear deterrent capability that can actually do that; melt any nation and it's people into a giant slab of green glass. The USSR knew it, the world knows it, and Saddam knew it. The government of Iran knows it.

Either the deterrent works or it does not. If it doesn't, then the American taxpayers have been defrauded on a grand scale. But if the nuclear deterrent does work, then Iran can have all the weapons of mass destruction they want, they just won't dare use them. I doubt they would dare use them against the United States because they don't want to end up like that piece of green glass at the top of this page. There is no need to confront Iran over the issue of weapons of mass destruction.

As to the belief that Iran would spend billions of dollars developing a nuclear bomb then hand it or its technology over to terrorist groups is preposterous. Would the people and government of Iran risk utter obliteration by giving this stuff away? Unlike Iran, the United States has the ability to turn much of the face of the entire planet into that green glass so the mere thought of going up against such a thing should put even the most nefarious of leaders in check.
I suppose you could stand to read up on Abdul Qadeer Khan. The Pakistani scientist responsible for North Korea having nuclear technology, not to mention passing off this information to Iran and Libya as well. The folly of your argument is that Pakistan did not sell the technology, a rogue scientist did. Please explain to us why you think its "preposterous" for this to happen with Iran. I look forward to your response. History is not on your side.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
As to the belief that Iran would spend billions of dollars developing a nuclear bomb then hand it or its technology over to terrorist groups is preposterous
Iran spends billions funding all kinds of mayhem. Why would they not leap at the chance at handing a nuke over to Hezbollah? This is not Norway or Canada we are talking about. Its Iran- paragon of deviant behavior and hardly a country known for rational thought.

Certain? No. Presposterous? No.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Iran spends billions funding all kinds of mayhem. Why would they not leap at the chance at handing a nuke over to Hezbollah? This is not Norway or Canada we are talking about. Its Iran- paragon of deviant behavior and hardly a country known for rational thought.

Certain? No. Presposterous? No.

You are right Iran is not Norway or Canada, it is a country with a 4000 year history of living in one of the most dangerous parts of the world. The Iranians are an Indo-european race and Iran in Farsi means home of the Aryans. In their history are people like Cyrus, Darius, and Xerxes who took the title Shah n Shah or King of Kings. In another age these same people now the Parthans stopped Rome cold and humilated its Cesaer. 600 years later their in 900 AD empire extended from the Bay of Bengal to Mespotamia and across the Silk Road. Another revival of Persian power was under the Sassinds of 1500 AD. I think Iran is haunted by its history in which it plays an odd man out. Iran may feel it needs nuclear weapons much like the old Shah n Shahs needed armies of hundreds of thousands. In otherwords, they want to live up to their past glory .

Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
w/o foreign oil dependency, nukes become a dead issue. we made our enemies rich.
jimmy carter told us this 30 years ago, .former head of CIA mr tenet told us this. we dont listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies