Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Israeli Government will decide how it wants to deal with Iran regardless of the USA's position and anti-semitism or the price of oil.
Then I hope Israel no longer asks the US for help, support, or $$$!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
I think you have it backwards. Israel has been attacked by her neighbors since the state's establishment. Israel withdrew from Gaza and instead Gaza developing itself, the terrorists use Gaza to fire rockets at Israeli civilians.

Did Israel also withdraw from the West Bank?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
I think you have it backwards. Israel has been attacked by her neighbors since the state's establishment. Israel withdrew from Gaza and instead Gaza developing itself, the terrorists use Gaza to fire rockets at Israeli civilians.
I don't have it backwards at all.
You might want to look at Israel's actions in Gaza.

Objectively, that is.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I bet if Israel stopped the settlements and oppression of the Palestinians, Iran would no longer be a threat.

You think Iran gives a hoot about Palestinians? They are using them as pawns in their regional power struggle. Nothing more. If the Palestinians magically made peace tomorrow you can be sure Iran's leaders would find another excuse.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
You think Iran gives a hoot about Palestinians? They are using them as pawns in their regional power struggle. Nothing more. If the Palestinians magically made peace tomorrow you can be sure Iran's leaders would find another excuse.
Iranians may not give a hoot about Palestinians, but I'm sure they BOTH identify western influence in the region's politics since the late 1940s (for Palestinians) and early 1950s (for Iranians).

And Israel's relentless attempt to play bully in the region, while hiding behind the USA, is only promoting hostility.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Iranians may not give a hoot about Palestinians, but I'm sure they BOTH identify western influence in the region's politics since the late 1940s (for Palestinians) and early 1950s (for Iranians).

And Israel's relentless attempt to play bully in the region, while hiding behind the USA, is only promoting hostility.

If by "play bully in the region" you mean preventing hostile neighbors from acquiring the weapons they need to wipe them off the map, I am sure the Israeli government has an active desire to be a bully.

But it is telling that you consider Israel to be the bully of the region when you consider their Arab neighbors started several wars with them. Syria is engaged in a brutal slaughter of their own citizens. Lebanon has been in a constant state of civil unrest (the fact that Syrians are running into Lebanon to escape away from civil war is ironic) and is held hostage by a terrorist organization. Iraq fired scud missiles at Israeli cities in an attempt to draw them into the first Persian Gulf War.

So yea, let's continue to pretend Israel is the bully in the region.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
If by "play bully in the region" you mean preventing hostile neighbors from acquiring the weapons they need to wipe them off the map, I am sure the Israeli government has an active desire to be a bully.
There's more to it but sticking with the issue of arms race... why do you think there was a cold war era? Israel is engaging in a similar regional cold war... "I can have whatever I want... you can't".

Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
In the mind of Israel getting rid of Iran's capabilities to produce a nuclear weapon is a life and death matter. Especially after Ahmad made the statement of wiping Israel of the map. But the problem is this: If Israel would attack Iran and the price of oil would go way up, which it would, there would be a lot more anti semitism in the U.S. and the world. That is anti semitism that jews can't afford since there is already a lot of anti semitism everywhere. Maybe more than anyone thinks. With the price of oil going sky high at this time economic turmoil we could go into a depression. In fact the whole world could go into a depression along with a big war in the middle east and maybe spreading beyond. But they have to stop Iran from getting nukes. So the best way out is to have good old U.S. do the dirty work and bomb Iran for them. But we arn't falling for it. There is also the danger for Israel if we get dragged into a war with Iran and suffer terrorism the jews will be blamed for triggering the whole mess. So Israel is in a no win situation right now. No wonder that the issure wether Israel bombs Iran or not is on the top of charts world wide as the issue everyone is watching.
Just curious, what prompted you to start this thread?
The topic was debated in about 100000 posts, with all political views expressed many times. I am not sure if you participated in those discussions, but what exactly do you expect by starting yet another thread?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There's more to it but sticking with the issue of arms race... why do you think there was a cold war era? Israel is engaging in a similar regional cold war... "I can have whatever I want... you can't".

It would be more correct to say "I can have whatever I need."
Israel needs their nuclear deterrent (implied, since they never officially acknowledged possessing nuclear weapons). Iran's existence is not being threatened by another country. No one is threatening to wipe them off the map.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
It would be more correct to say "I can have whatever I need."
Israel needs their nuclear deterrent (implied, since they never officially acknowledged possessing nuclear weapons). Iran's existence is not being threatened by another country. No one is threatening to wipe them off the map.
Who threatened to knock India, Pakistan, N Korea, et al off the map? There doesn't seem to be great issue with them having nukes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies