Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,100,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think the OP is making a comparison between Letterman and Rush Limbaugh comments.

I know the OP's making stuff up by claiming the White House is demanding Limbaugh be taken off the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,758,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
This is not about me or my opinions. I am not the president of the United States. I did not make a personal call of apology to Ms. Fluke. I did not publicly rebuke Rush for this. All three of these factors apply to Obama, who stated he did it for his daughters. Where is this concern for his daughters when it comes to his response to those on the left who speak hatefully against women & their children?
Because Obama is no dummy. For the most part if he does say something to the ones on his side on issues he disagrees with I'd bet he'd do it behind close doors. I don't think it is smart politically to embarrass your friends.
Plus Letterman isn't a hate filled tool like Limbaugh.
I'm biased as I like Michelle more than any first lady.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:04 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,706,692 times
So everyone on this thread would be okay with Letterman joking about A-rod "knocking up" Malia right? She'll be 14 in a few months, same age as Willow when Letterman made his "joke" about her. The point the OP is making is that if the President is so outraged about a 30 year old called a ****, shouldn't he be similarly outraged about a joke about statutory rape of a child, esp. since he claimed his outrage was partially due to his daughters?
I don't have strong feelings on this, but I think people are being pretty disingenuous on this thread. Or perhaps deliberately obtuse.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,056,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I know the OP's making stuff up by claiming the White House is demanding Limbaugh be taken off the air.

This is what the President said:

"I don't know what's in Rush Limbaugh's heart, so I'm not going to comment on the sincerity of his apology," Obama said. "What I can comment on is the fact that all decent folks can agree on, that the remarks that were made don't have any place in the public discourse. And the reason I called [Fluke] is because I thought about Malia and Sasha, and one of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about--even ones I may not agree with them on. I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way, and I don't want them attacked or called horrible names because they are being good citizens."

hmmm, there isn't a demand for an apology or a call to take him off the air anywhere in this. Can it be, that Breitbart's site made it up? Naaah, never.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,079,153 times
I think the OP is grasping at straws here. I'm not saying Letterman's joke wasn't inappropriate, but seriously...it was a JOKE. Rush was dead serious calling that young lady a **** and a prostitute. Saying she should put videos on the internet so he can get his money's worth out of her? I didn't hear Obama say his show should be taken off the air either...so I'm not sure where you're going with that one. I think his comments were way out of line, but he can say whatever he wants, inappropriate or otherwise. I didn't listen to him, I didn't before and I won't now either. Hopefully a lot of other people will feel the same way now.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,589,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This is what the President said:

"I don't know what's in Rush Limbaugh's heart, so I'm not going to comment on the sincerity of his apology," Obama said. "What I can comment on is the fact that all decent folks can agree on, that the remarks that were made don't have any place in the public discourse. And the reason I called [Fluke] is because I thought about Malia and Sasha, and one of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about--even ones I may not agree with them on. I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way, and I don't want them attacked or called horrible names because they are being good citizens."

hmmm, there isn't a demand for an apology or a call to take him off the air anywhere in this. Can it be, that Breitbart's site made it up? Naaah, never.
And that's EXACTLY what the apology was about. That people, everyday people, who want to come forward and engage with their government on policy and tell THEIR side of the story should not have to fear a 3-day character assasination from a very popular radio talking head for telling their side of things when speaking to the government.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,465,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Well, the president felt the need to apologize to Sandra Fluke for the foul mouthed remarks of Rush and rebuked Rush, stating he needed to do so on behalf of his daughters and wanting to ensure that they knew this type of speech was not acceptable should they decide to enter the political arena. So, I guess the its fair to assume his daughters are aware of this aspect of politics, yet their Mother going on the show of someone who has used similarly foul mouthed speech against women & their children sends what message? The only one I can think of is that this behavior is acceptable if it is against women who disagree with you politically.

I, for one, love it that crap like this keeps the Rabid Right preoccupied. Keeps their focus off of the truly important stuff like the umm....election.

Obama 2012!!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,870,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think the OP is grasping at straws here. I'm not saying Letterman's joke wasn't inappropriate, but seriously...it was a JOKE. Rush was dead serious calling that young lady a **** and a prostitute. Saying she should put videos on the internet so he can get his money's worth out of her? I didn't hear Obama say his show should be taken off the air either...so I'm not sure where you're going with that one. I think his comments were way out of line, but he can say whatever he wants, inappropriate or otherwise. I didn't listen to him, I didn't before and I won't now either. Hopefully a lot of other people will feel the same way now.
I have the feeling the OP and others of his ilk are incapable of understanding a joke, be it appropriate or otherwise.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,056,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
And that's EXACTLY what the apology was about. That people, everyday people, who want to come forward and engage with their government on policy and tell THEIR side of the story should not have to fear a 3-day character assasination from a very popular radio talking head for telling their side of things when speaking to the government.

What I was saying, Christine, is that, contrary to the link and declaration by the OP that the President demanded an apology or pushed for Limbaugh to be taken off the air is false. He didn't.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,362,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
So everyone on this thread would be okay with Letterman joking about A-rod "knocking up" Malia right? She'll be 14 in a few months, same age as Willow when Letterman made his "joke" about her. The point the OP is making is that if the President is so outraged about a 30 year old called a ****, shouldn't he be similarly outraged about a joke about statutory rape of a child, esp. since he claimed his outrage was partially due to his daughters?
I don't have strong feelings on this, but I think people are being pretty disingenuous on this thread. Or perhaps deliberately obtuse.
I for one would not be ok with it and I'm sure not many would be. But I still see a difference between an isolated joke that crosses the line to extremely poor taste or off the cuff remark and a three-day tirade followed by an insulting attack on yet another young woman. The former demands an apology, the latter demands that we ask who enjoys listening to that kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies