Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:10 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This is what the President said:

"I don't know what's in Rush Limbaugh's heart, so I'm not going to comment on the sincerity of his apology," Obama said. "What I can comment on is the fact that all decent folks can agree on, that the remarks that were made don't have any place in the public discourse. And the reason I called [Fluke] is because I thought about Malia and Sasha, and one of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about--even ones I may not agree with them on. I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way, and I don't want them attacked or called horrible names because they are being good citizens."

hmmm, there isn't a demand for an apology or a call to take him off the air anywhere in this. Can it be, that Breitbart's site made it up? Naaah, never.
You don't see President Obama calling for Rush to be taken off the air in that quote? Really? It's there - it's just subliminal. Ask the OP - I'm sure he sees it, too. LOL

And, on a serious note, I thought that was a wonderful and sincere thing President Obama said about his daughters. I think most people, especially those with daughters (or, like me, with granddaughters) can relate to what he said - well, except for the Obama haters, and he could save the world from a direct hit from a meteorite and they would claim he was only able to do that because of policies Bush had put in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Anything to deflect attention from the nation's real problems.
Actually, the current administration with its focus on an imaginary War on Women already has dibbs on doing that.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
So everyone on this thread would be okay with Letterman joking about A-rod "knocking up" Malia right? She'll be 14 in a few months, same age as Willow when Letterman made his "joke" about her. The point the OP is making is that if the President is so outraged about a 30 year old called a ****, shouldn't he be similarly outraged about a joke about statutory rape of a child, esp. since he claimed his outrage was partially due to his daughters?
I don't have strong feelings on this, but I think people are being pretty disingenuous on this thread. Or perhaps deliberately obtuse.
Letterman didn't go on the offense and continue to attack for 3 days before apologizing. He actually seemed to feel bad about his poor choice w/the joke. Rush continued to villify Fluke for 3 days before he grudgingly apologized once his sponsors started dropping him like a hot potato. Not excusing what Letterman said, because it was equally as offensive as what Rush said, it's how he conducted himself in the aftermath that makes all the difference here.
I would not be at all surprised to see Palin appear on Letterman's show someday.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Actually, the current administration with its focus on an imaginary War on Women already has dibbs on doing that.

Not to mention the lame contraceptive debate from the GOP.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Letterman didn't go on the offense and continue to attack for 3 days before apologizing. He actually seemed to feel bad about his poor choice w/the joke. Rush continued to villify Fluke for 3 days before he grudgingly apologized once his sponsors started dropping him like a hot potato. Not excusing what Letterman said, because it was equally as offensive as what Rush said, it's how he conducted himself in the aftermath that makes all the difference here.
This is all so true and something the Rush defenders refuse to acknowledge - that all of their "what about?" examples made their comments ONCE. None of those comments lasted more than a minute or two. They didn't go on a three hour rant, go home, eat, sleep, think about it, come back a second day for another three day assault, go home, eat, sleep, think about it some more and then come back for a third day of ATTACKS. And none of the others demanded sex tapes. AND - some of them actually suffered some consequences, such as Randi Rhodes getting FIRED, not for something she said on her radio program but for something she said on her own time during a comedy routine at a comedy club.

Quote:
I would not be at all surprised to see Palin appear on Letterman's show someday.
Maybe she'll go on to promote Game Change.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

And, on a serious note, I thought that was a wonderful and sincere thing President Obama said about his daughters.
It was a wonderful and perhaps sincere thing he said about his daughters.

"...the remarks that were made don't have any place in the public discourse. And the reason I called [Fluke] is because I thought about Malia and Sasha, and one of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about--even ones I may not agree with them on. I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way, and I don't want them attacked or called horrible names..."

If only he cared about everyone's daughters, the way he said he cared about his own. But, I guess he's only human and his heart is only so big - not big enough for Palin's daughter. And maybe the Obama's need the money. Wonder how much Michelle will be getting paid to make an appearance on the TV show of a man who publicly attacked Ms. Palin and her 14 year old daughter with horrible names & accusations?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
It was a wonderful and perhaps sincere thing he said about his daughters.

"...the remarks that were made don't have any place in the public discourse. And the reason I called [Fluke] is because I thought about Malia and Sasha, and one of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about--even ones I may not agree with them on. I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way, and I don't want them attacked or called horrible names..."

If only he cared about everyone's daughters, the way he said he cared about his own. But, I guess he's only human and his heart is only so big - not big enough for Palin's daughter. And maybe the Obama's need the money. Wonder how much Michelle will be getting paid to make an appearance on the TV show of a man who publicly attacked Ms. Palin and her 14 year old daughter with horrible names & accusations?
Why would it not be sincere?
Surely any father of daughters would feel the same way.
Do you have any daughter (s)?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Why would it not be sincere?
Surely any father of daughters would feel the same way.
Do you have any daughter (s)?
So why no concern for Palin's daughter?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Michelle is playing to the liberal audience and they are very liberal when it comes to name calling.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Quote:

"The same White House demanding that Rush Limbaugh be taken off the air is apparently okay with the First Lady of the United States appearing with the same David Letterman who "joked" about Sarah Palin's 14 year-old daughter getting "knocked up" by Alex Rodriguez and compared the Governor herself to a "slutty flight attendant."
"The hypocrisy here is breathtaking."

Sl*t-Gate Hypocrisy: First Lady to Appear On Letterman

Not sure what message Obama is okay having conveyed to his daughters here? That its okay to attack and call a woman running for public office foul, sexist names? Or that fourteen year olds are fair game? Oh well, I guess the main message for his daughters was that its not okay for 30 year old liberal activist women to be called names but most others are fair game.
What are you, a nun from the 1800s? Letterman is hardly foul mouthed, his humor is only mildly suggestive and he seldom uses harsh profanity. He's not the least bit misogynist, he's just a comedian. Right wingers whine like petulant little kids when anyone dares make a joke about their halfwit Saint Sarah who can't even handle being governor of a practically empty state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies