Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Big difference...People need freedom, or Corporations need freedom. BIG difference. You're mixing people and corporations as if they're one and the same. Countries as if they're one and the same. The big difference is there is the U.S., and the rest of the world. The US wants to protect it citizens, promote business and freedom. The rest of the world....wants to BE the U.S.
Corporations are owned by people. Both people and corporations need freedom. However, it is quite obvious that the only corporations or people who seem to get much freedom in the US, are the big corporations who can lobby the government to create regulations that favor them.

And, am sorry, We don't want to be like you. Most countries try to avoid getting all of the problems in America. If any politician here said that he wanted to adopt US style policies, he would lose his job tomorrow, and I am not in a liberal country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Interesting. Fannie and Freddie helped crater the housing mortgage market, but now they are its salvation?
I don't get the thought process of some people. Unbelievable how some don't see for themselves how government created this mess and used the GSEs to their advantage. The state lottery is a better gamble.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Really? Where did you get the idea? Those are among the most regulated societies, and mixed economies around. HK may be your best bet, however, it isn't without its limitations.
By living in three of them?

You will not find those insane kind of regulations in Scandinavia. The legal code is not 200,000 pages, but only 3000 pages. No one will be punished for having a lemonade stand, they don't put prostitutes in Prison, In New Zealand it is even legal, you don't get 8 years of prison for importing lobsters from Hondouras, and the government will be happy if you help them unclogging a bridge.

Doesn't mean there are no regulations, but I have stated many times I am in favour of sensible limited regulations.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
So if that is the case, then why do Fraser and Heritage rank US down due to regulations.
Heritage is a propaganda organization for the GOP, and I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding "Fraser." I'd have to see their analyses.

Quote:
Why is to so extremely difficult being involved in politics, and still superpacs can spend whatever they want.
In English, please?

Quote:
Why do US have 200K pages of federal laws if they think their job is to deregulate?
Legislators or regulators? Regulators don't write laws.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Interesting. Fannie and Freddie helped crater the housing mortgage market, but now they are its salvation?
Fannie and Freddie played a minor role in the "cratering" of the housing market. The surge of problem loans were nonconforming.

Now, today, post-crash -- Fannie and Freddie serve as the emergency support system for housing market transactions. (and therefore prices). I wouldn't call that "salvation", like you did.

If you want to talk total reform of the financial system, that's one thing -- but just eliminating Fannie and Freddie (without reforming central bank policy and tax policy) is sheer stupidity.

Last edited by le roi; 03-13-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
You believe? Don't you mean you think? What information do you have that gives you this opinion? Are you making it up out of thin air?

In terms of your little video, unless you're going to pay me market rate for my time, I'm not watching your little video. If you can't prove it in your own words here, it means nothing.
If you are not planning to watch the video, and will prefer to never listen to anyone who disagrees with you, then don't comment.

If your time is worth so much, why do you waste your time posting this comment? No one cares.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
As far as the housing bubble this is incorrect. We regulated the free market and told banks to lend when they otherwise wouldn't.
That might be what Fox News says, but that is not how I describe it. The problem loans were made by the private sector, on its own free will. Nobody twisted their arm, not the CRA, not the GSE's, not the Fed.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Corporations are owned by people. Both people and corporations need freedom. However, it is quite obvious that the only corporations or people who seem to get much freedom in the US, are the big corporations who can lobby the government to create regulations that favor them.

And, am sorry, We don't want to be like you. Most countries try to avoid getting all of the problems in America. If any politician here said that he wanted to adopt US style policies, he would lose his job tomorrow, and I am not in a liberal country.
I come from a nation of lemmings,
Mindless mundanes, herd of sheep, and group think keepers
I run through the station where the political sweepers
Steal my money, make decisions for me, hurt the liberty seekers
And as usual I'm running late
But I can't wait
It's not important anyhow
their policies are not that great

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore.

None of them has the insane kind of regulations you will find in America.
In the same vein, the US has the most lawyers per capita of any nation. And 1 in 12 residents of Washington DC is a lawyer, an amazing stat:
Beltway Earnings Make U.S. Capital Richer Than Silicon Valley - Bloomberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomberg
Last year Washington also had the most lawyers per capita in the U.S. compared with the 50 states, with one for every 12 city residents, according to figures from the American Bar Association and the Census Bureau. In New York State the figure was one out of every 123 residents, while in California the ratio was one in 243.
In Japan there is 1 lawyer for every 8195 people. The number in Korea is 1 in 15748. No wonder they have virtually taken over motorcycle manufacturing.
Japan Perspectives | "Law in Japan" by Bill Stonehill

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
By living in three of them?

You will not find those insane kind of regulations in Scandinavia. The legal code is not 200,000 pages, but only 3000 pages. No one will be punished for having a lemonade stand, they don't put prostitutes in Prison, In New Zealand it is even legal, you don't get 8 years of prison for importing lobsters from Hondouras, and the government will be happy if you help them unclogging a bridge.

Doesn't mean there are no regulations, but I have stated many times I am in favour of sensible limited regulations.
If you want to discuss social regulations in the USA, sure, I would be on your side. But let us not mix federal regulations with lemonade stands. Having said that, if you've lived in three of them (and so have I... but Germany and England) you should know better. But, we can talk endlessly and get nowhere. How about an example of a study in regulatory differences? This is a case of comparing oil drilling regulations in the USA compared to Norway. First, the link here.

Now, stop counting pages, and start understanding the differences outlined. The key is not non-existent regulations in Norway. In fact, they seem to have better defined approach to regulating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies