Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times

Advertisements

'Game Change' Ratings Bust: Less than Half of 'Sarah Palin's Alaska' Debut

HBO's anti-Sarah Palin film "Game Change" scored some pretty impressive ratings over the weekend - 2.1 million viewers, according to numbers released today.

But while the cable network may be tempted to spike the football, it might want to do some digging on some other Palin-related data first.
TLC's "Sarah Palin's Alaska" debuted in 2010 to five million viewers, more than double the HBO figure. Now, TLC isn't a pay channel like HBO, but the tally still undermines the narrative that audiences were clamoring to see a Palin takedown.
Plus, while HBO's film got almost universally glowing reviews and all the media attention a title could muster, the TLC reality show debuted on a much less well known outlet sans universally positive press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM

254 posts, read 202,600 times
I enjoyed it very much.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

HBO's anti-Sarah Palin film "Game Change" scored some pretty impressive ratings over the weekend - 2.1 million viewers, according to numbers released today.

But while the cable network may be tempted to spike the football, it might want to do some digging on some other Palin-related data first.
TLC's "Sarah Palin's Alaska" debuted in 2010 to five million viewers, more than double the HBO figure. Now, TLC isn't a pay channel like HBO, but the tally still undermines the narrative that audiences were clamoring to see a Palin takedown.
Plus, while HBO's film got almost universally glowing reviews and all the media attention a title could muster, the TLC reality show debuted on a much less well known outlet sans universally positive press.
Always glad to see a good bust.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Some might say that comparing reality shows to made-for-TV political documentaries is perhaps a bit disingenuous.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

LOL! Even though Breitfart is gone, his site lives on with the ultra-right wing spins. 2.1 million for an HBO movie is massive. Palin's show did do fairly well during it's debut, but fell in the toilet shortly afterwards after people saw what a steaming pile of garbage it was.
Let's also not forget that the propaganda ministers conveniently forget to mention was Palin's own major movie release that was a monumental disaster and opened to empty theaters around the country

Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Well, it sure upset a lot of people for being such a bust.

Personally, I thought it was a sympathetic portrayal of Palin as a real person who has good and bad sides, weaknesses and strengths, and confidence and insecurities, just like the rest of us. She is no longer the person she was when she was tapped for VP in 2008, and that's the real tragedy for her and her followers.

The movie is really a scathing comment on how we select our candidates for their electability rather than their leadership and governance abilities, not an attack on Palin. She was simply unprepared for the big leagues and way over her head. She came to know it, McCain came to realize it, and his campaign people who selected her came to grieve over their decision. They, not Palin, are the real villains of the piece, if there are any villains to be found in it.

It is really a cautionary tale for both parties and all of us. We have all suffered from far too many short-term party gains, and we have far too few real leaders in our politics as a result of seeking only those short-term advantages.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
The main character in the movie, McCain's central campaign adviser, validated the story. Personally I didn't see it as a slam on Palin at all. Some people don't like the truth, that the woman they cheered on was woefully under-qualified for the Veep spot, and that's the real issue here. She was out of her league without a doubt. I think both the book and the movie did a good job of showing how she struggled with the process.

I did find the book much better however as it explored both camps, not just McCain/Palin like the movie did.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I read the book last year and enjoyed it very much. It was interesting to see what kind of stuff goes on behind the scenes and how we are all 'played' for better or for worse.

I saw the movie today and it obviously had a limited focus, on Palin, but I thought it was well done. There is no doubt she was out of her league, and there is also no doubt that she can be very dynamic and likable. She wasn't prepared for what happened to her, and she had no clue how bad it was going to get. There was a line in the movie that had her yelling 'You ruined me!' and she was right.

The election went just as it should have, I hate to think of what would have happened if she actually made it to the While House. Not just for the country but for her and her family personally. But she did make an impact on the political scene and still does, in a unofficial way.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
I thought "game change" was a show regarding the bounty problem that surfaced regarding the Saints

Now that I know that it it is just another reality tv show hack job, you know I will not be watching it.... even if I chose to have cable

The idiot box (TV) will steal your soul and fry your mind these days.... no thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
3.6 million viewers watched 'Game Change' over the course of its four airings, and the 2.1 million folks who watched the debut telecast resulted in the highest rating for an original HBO movie since 'Something The Lord Made' in 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies