Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Florida Law:

Quote:
776.012 Use of force in defense of person. — A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.
I am betting the defense is that the kid went for the gun. That is about the only way I see Zimmerman getting off.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...Zimmerman is a white man. Let's not be ridiculous. He may come from a multiracial family, but he's white. That's all there is to it. Hispanic maybe, but still a white man. Zimmerman is a German name....he didn't get that from a Spanish or African ancestor.
You do not have to have a Spanish surname to be hispanic. Ever hear of Martin Sheen or Vicente Fox or George P Bush? Zimmerman is a minority himself.

Just like Obama has a white mother but considers himself black and does not acknowledge that he's half white, nor do many who vote for him acknowledge that he's half white, "race" is somewhat arbitrary. Zimmerman is hispanic.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
I think the biggest problem in a case like that is that although Zimmerman just used poor judgment all around--judgment that just completely lacked common sense, it wasn't necessarily illegal. Unfortunately it is not illegal to "pursue" "follow" or whatever he called him self doing. Nor is it illegal to question them on the street.

I think the key here is in determining who's voice called for "help" in the background of the 911 recording. If he had an opportunity to use restraint, then I think he's guilty as 7 sins.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I think it's safe to assume your IQ is below 50.

Whether or not deadly force was justified isn't even up for debate. We don't need to know exactly what happened because Trayvon had nothing on him that could justify the use of deadly force (unless you can prove Skittles and iced tea are deadly weapons). We also know that Zimmerman was the instigator because of the 911 tapes. Get it, Mr. Republican?

Locate your brain and attempt to use it.
Speaking of a brain....

I suggest you use it next time you want to accuse somebody of low intelligence...

Especially when you are mad and throwing insults around over an argument I never made.. LOL

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I think the biggest problem in a case like that is that although Zimmerman just used poor judgment all around--judgment that just completely lacked common sense, it wasn't necessarily illegal. Unfortunately it is not illegal to "pursue" "follow" or whatever he called him self doing. Nor is it illegal to question them on the street.

I think the key here is in determining who's voice called for "help" in the background of the 911 recording. If he had an opportunity to use restraint, then I think he's guilty as 7 sins.
Restraint? Because the kid was walking down the street? And how is killing an innocent person not illegal? No one is saying that pursuit or questioning is illegal, but he didn't leave it at that now did he? It looks like 2nd degree murder to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am betting the defense is that the kid went for the gun. That is about the only way I see Zimmerman getting off.
How in the HELL is that a defense? It was Zimmerman's gun for starters. And what would any normal person do if they were walking down the street minding their own business and some creep pursues them in a car and starts to harass them? Try to get away, right? I sure would. And if the creep got out and tried to engage me in a fight and I saw he had a gun I would damn well try to get the gun away from him.

Self defense my ***, this guy needs to fry - literally.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Let me play Devil's Advocate here...

For starters, the state saw Zimmerman fit to own a gun.... The End.

Next, people are making the argument that the kid was 100 lbs lighter than Zimmerman....So logic says, there is no way this kid could have assaulted him because for some reason all pounds are created equally LOL.... Have you seen Zimmermans pics????? He looks pretty fluffy.. I have seen PLENTY of lighter dudes air out guys much bigger than them... This argument is worthless...

Also, size advantage and weapon advantage aside....A gun doesn't change a persons true disposition. People get guns to protect themselves. Are their crazy people with guns? For sure. I feel safe to say that there are probably more people with guns that want to protect themselves and their loved ones or even their community as opposed to the ones who have the deep seated dream of shooting a black kid.

In addition to the previous thought...having a gun doesn't necessarily make you any more brave. The guy could have genuinely been scared. A lot of people shoot out of fear. Even cops with training under these circumstances still shoot because they fear for their lives. They have families to go home to etc. etc.

He said the kid was holding his waistline...Did it ever occur to you that MAYBE the kid was pretending to have a gun??? It happens...I've seen it many times....

Maybe he was going to throw the iced tea bottle at him and as he reached...Zimmerman, already paranoid, thought it was a gun. Yes, black people have guns too...How was he supposed to know it was just a kid or how old he was??

17 is virtually a grown man...I've seen 7ft 17 year olds.....Was he supposed to ask for ID?

How do you know the kid didn't rush Zimmerman?? How do you KNOW there wasn't a struggle for the gun??

They don't even know if it was the boy or Zimmerman screaming!

Let the facts come out......

Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
THERE IS YOUR PROBLEM. Why does somebody BELONG, or not belong, in a neighborhood based on their skin color???? We have all white streets and all black streets and they are off limits to anyone that is "different"?
Well, I think it is human nature to notice someone/thing is different and what business does anyone have hanging in a neighborhood where they are not visiting or do not live. Loitering is prohibited and if I saw someone I did not know, hanging around, I would be suspicious, wouldn't you?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM

566 posts, read 958,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Let me play Devil's Advocate here...

For starters, the state saw Zimmerman fit to own a gun.... The End.

Next, people are making the argument that the kid was 100 lbs lighter than Zimmerman....So logic says, there is no way this kid could have assaulted him because for some reason all pounds are created equally LOL.... Have you seen Zimmermans pics????? He looks pretty fluffy.. I have seen PLENTY of lighter dudes air out guys much bigger than them... This argument is worthless...

Also, size advantage and weapon advantage aside....A gun doesn't change a persons true disposition. People get guns to protect themselves. Are their crazy people with guns? For sure. I feel safe to say that there are probably more people with guns that want to protect themselves and their loved ones or even their community as opposed to the ones who have the deep seated dream of shooting a black kid.

In addition to the previous thought...having a gun doesn't necessarily make you any more brave. The guy could have genuinely been scared. A lot of people shoot out of fear. Even cops with training under these circumstances still shoot because they fear for their lives. They have families to go home to etc. etc.

He said the kid was holding his waistline...Did it ever occur to you that MAYBE the kid was pretending to have a gun??? It happens...I've seen it many times....

Maybe he was going to throw the iced tea bottle at him and as he reached...Zimmerman, already paranoid, thought it was a gun. Yes, black people have guns too...How was he supposed to know it was just a kid or how old he was??

17 is virtually a grown man...I've seen 7ft 17 year olds.....Was he supposed to ask for ID?

How do you know the kid didn't rush Zimmerman?? How do you KNOW there wasn't a struggle for the gun??

They don't even know if it was the boy or Zimmerman screaming!

Let the facts come out......
Dismissed.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
You know we had a similar case up here in NH recently where gun laws are pretty loose. It had a much better ending. A guy's house was broken into, he got a gun and searched the neighborhood, saw a kid getting out of a neighbor's window with a backpack and discharged his weapon into the ground. No one was injured.

I guess the 2nd amendment rights wusses in Florida feel threatened if you wave a Snickers bar at them and then can kill you in self defense. Is that where this is headed?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM

566 posts, read 958,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, I think it is human nature to notice someone/thing is different and what business does anyone have hanging in a neighborhood where they are not visiting or do not live. Loitering is prohibited and if I saw someone I did not know, hanging around, I would be suspicious, wouldn't you?
No, in your earlier comment you basically inferred that there's no way a black person could possibly live in or rightfully be in a predominately white neighborhood, and if they are, they must be up to no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies