Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
He didn't know that and we do not know if he was PRETENDING to be armed either...it was noted he was grabbing for his belt.

Regardless of the above...

If Zimmerman was rushed by the kid and there was a struggle and he was shot....it was SELF DEFENSE. Zimmerman was deemed fit to carry a firearm apparently. That being said, self defense doesn't absolve you from a manslaughter charge.

That doesn't hold any water at all....You can exit a car and ask a question or just look out without being hostile. Hostile in this instance seems to be left to your own definition.

That argument is not a valid one. Size does not equate to ability. In fact, it many instances it can be a hindrance.

Point blank range, in the heart... Very easily could have been a shot while they were rolling around on the ground...

The problem is these facts don't paint the whole picture... You are merely interpreting.
If somebody pulls along side me and exits their car without a unifom or a badge on, I am going to assume hostile intent and act accordingly. Anybody would.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 AM

566 posts, read 958,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
There is nothing to determine. The facts are there. The facts are:

1. He was armed, the 17 year old was not
2. He initiated hostile contact by exiting his vehicle to confront the victim
3. Even if the victim struck him after being confronted, he was almost twice as large and reasonably should have the ability use less than lethal force.
4. He aimed at point blank range for the heart to kill the victim.

These are the facts. Everything else is bullsheet.
This

Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
If somebody pulls along side me and exits their car without a unifom or a badge on, I am going to assume hostile intent and act accordingly. Anybody would.

OK, so....If I am getting attacked and I shoot and kill somebody...That's excessive force...

But, if I am walking around and somebody pulls up in a car and steps out...but doesn't run towards me to grab me, attack me...Maybe wants to ask me a question..whatever it may be...me assuming hostile intent and "acting accordingly" ISN'T excessive??

Just hypothetically.... Not saying this is exactly what happened because......*drum roll*

WE DON'T KNOW

Old 03-18-2012, 10:34 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:

3. Even if the victim struck him after being confronted, he was almost twice as large and reasonably should have the ability use less than lethal force.

You are going by news reports, let's wait until the investigation is complete. Or we can just lynch him.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Sorry I don't buy it at all...You listen to talk radio and Fox News...There is no other explanation on this earth for why you sound so stupid...

So if everything thats been released thus far turns out to be true and correct you think he should only be charged with manslaughter??????????????

-Called police, theres a colored walking through the neighborhood
-Police: We're on our way stay in your car
-Sh**bag: I'm goin after him
-Trys to take kid down, sh**bag cant fight worth a crap so he gets beat up by kid defending himself
-Witnesses say kid was yelling out for help because sh**bag was attacking him
-Sh**bag gets his footing and pulls out a gun and shoots kid

Uh yeah that sounds like manslaughter

Again my point proven...ONLY A REPUBLICAN!
Well, since democrats shoot 90% of black youths you have to give the Republicans their 10%. You really don't want to go into the demographics of who shoots the vast majority of young black males but if it makes you feel better blaming the epidemic on republicans then it's a sad lie to live with.

As noted earlier I feel Zimmerman should be facing manslaughter charges and if the state doesn't step in then federal charges should be considered.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Not necessarily, it depends of what he looks like. Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race. If he's a so-called white Hispanic, you wouldn't know what he was by looking at him. Hispanics come in all shades.

Like, say, Martin Sheen or Cameron Diaz would be white Hispanics.
Zimmerman has the "typical" hispanic look -- his mug shots are out there, he looks very latino. But yes, Sheen and Diaz don't. Zimmerman himself would not be acceptable if found wandering around a white neighborhood if such a thing actually exists.

The reason his family and lawyers are so quick to point out that he's hispanic is that they KNOW that changes the whole picture. Not that it should but it does. It can only be viewed as a hate crime if the killer is white, and in this case he is not.

Race shouldn't even be involved in this, judging from photos I've seen, Zimmerman looks more like a suspicious character, Martin, from the photo I saw looks harmless. But I know -- you can't always go on looks.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:03 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, he had no business in a gated community, but I think the block captain went way to far, he should have called 911 and left it at that.
He was visiting his father and step-mother who live in the gated community, he was about 100 yards from their home.

He had every right to be there.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:23 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Zimmerman has the "typical" hispanic look -- his mug shots are out there, he looks very latino. But yes, Sheen and Diaz don't. Zimmerman himself would not be acceptable if found wandering around a white neighborhood if such a thing actually exists.

The reason his family and lawyers are so quick to point out that he's hispanic is that they KNOW that changes the whole picture. Not that it should but it does. It can only be viewed as a hate crime if the killer is white, and in this case he is not.

Race shouldn't even be involved in this, judging from photos I've seen, Zimmerman looks more like a suspicious character, Martin, from the photo I saw looks harmless. But I know -- you can't always go on looks.
Thanks! I didn't know any pictures of him had surfaced, so your comment inspired me to google image him. You're right, considering he's supposed to be at tall guy and 270 pounds, he actually looks like her would be perceived as scarier to me than the baby-faced victim.

And I also think that is is quite possible to racially profile someone even if you are a minority yourself, but yes it makes it harder to charge him for that unfortunately. "Hate crime" is harder to prove than racial profiling, and frankly the "hate crime" things gives me mixed feelings anyway. I don't think you can legislate thoughts which is essentially what hate crimes do.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:

The only 'fact' is #1.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
You got that right! Some jelly belly rolls up alongside you and demands to know what you're doing in the neighbourhood; it would be safe to say that once you've determined it's a damn 15 year old Neon and not a cop car you'd be chitting yourself wondering "what's this dudes problem" and what have I done to get his attention OTHER than being there at all.

Moron-mall-cop just had to state he'd called the REAL cops already and just keep following at a distance and the guys with the guns AND the proper training would take over to ascertain whether this kid was just guilty of being on a sidewalk wearing a hoodie without permission.

Had moron-mall-cop simply stayed in his stupid car that kid would be alive and no crime would have been committed. A disaster just waiting to happen letting idiots have the ego trip of guns and a card in their wallet.

Now those city or state cops have some major public relations to perform BECAUSE they allowed a moron to have a gun and patrol a neighbourhood to have this almost inevitable occurance, giving everyone from Al Sharpton to Jesse Jackson some spin traction.

When do you think people will learn property crime does not equate to the killing of anybody?

Neighbourhood watch with guns, sheesh, what's next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies