Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
I live in a decent area and promote policies that help build society and fight poverty and not live like a lunatic wanting to shoot someone because I would advocate policies that would worsen poverty and force people to commit crimes.
I'd wager you don't live in or very close to Detroit, Newark, Camden......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The legal outcome of the whole episode was the bad guys were all charged with various things. A couple of them did serious jail time because this was not the first time they had done something like this. My friend Len was charged with nothing at all and was actually a bit of a local hero for a while.

Personally, I think Len should have been charged because the bad guys were out of the house and running away when shot but neither the cops or the Crown thought so.
I'm surprised he wasn't charged. You shoot them in the back while they're running away, that's not self-defense it's revenge.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You awaken to a noise that you can't identify but think you hear someone in your house at 3:40 am so you slip to the closet where you have a pistol stashed for just such an occasion. When the intruder takes a knife from his vest and comes at you, you shoot him twice. Now what do you do? Do you have a plan worked out beforehand? If not there is a real chance that you will make a number of mistakes in the next hour and who knows what kind of prosecutor will be assigned to your case. If he is dead he becomes the victim in our leal system.

After the Shooting, by Tupreco - SurvivalBlog.com
Good article. In any state, even gun friendly states like Florida, you can get in trouble if you shoot a burglar and it turns out he was not armed, or that he was trying to escape.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:07 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You awaken to a noise that you can't identify but think you hear someone in your house at 3:40 am so you slip to the closet where you have a pistol stashed for just such an occasion. When the intruder takes a knife from his vest and comes at you, you shoot him twice. Now what do you do? Do you have a plan worked out beforehand? If not there is a real chance that you will make a number of mistakes in the next hour and who knows what kind of prosecutor will be assigned to your case. If he is dead he becomes the victim in our leal system.

After the Shooting, by Tupreco - SurvivalBlog.com

Very first thing you do is CALL A LAWYER!

First thing you do is DON'T do is talk to the police until a lawyer is with you. If they try to pull the "if you have nothing to hide you would talk to us" routine I would only say "Youtube, watch Don't Talk To The Police part one and two" and then keep my yap shut. I wouldn't even talk about the weather. Yap shut, understand?

What a highly paid criminal lawyer tells you about talking to the police.

Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1 - YouTube

What a cop tells you about talking to the police.

Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2 - YouTube

Best 50 minutes of video ever.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Call 911, then a lawyer. Odds are, you won't need the latter, but who knows.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Fire up the grill?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Fire up the grill?

Naw, it would only stink up the neighborhood. Now, feeding him to the dogs.....

Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
My Dad would not allow guns on our farm ever for any reason. He was a Marine in WWII and I'm sure that had everything to do with it. The man had such respect for any life, if there was a bird's nest in a piece of equipment, we would do without that equipment or if we absolutely had to use it he would carefully relocate the nest, even though I'm sure the mother never went back to it. But that's what he was all about.

I remember when I was probably like 9 years old my Dad talking about how someone was stealing gas from us and our barn was broken into and tools were missing ect. Well, one night he caught the prowler--a 14 year old kid from town. My Dad gave him 2 choices, go to the sheriff or work off the damage he had done and stolen goods. The kid chose to work.

Well, he worked an entire summer for us and after his debt was paid he continued working for us. Then he started eating Sunday dinner with us. He basically became part of our family (Mom and Dad had 6 sons and 3 daughters already). The kid came from a broken family and was very troubled. He ended up graduating from HS and getting his life straightened out.

My Dad died 2 years ago but I was shocked to see this guy at the funeral, hadn't seen him in 30+ years. Turns out he was also visiting my Dad in the nursing home.

I guess it's lucky for him that my Dad wasn't one of these gun people just looking for an excuse. I think violence should always be the last resort.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I live in a "peaceful" neighborhood with little expectation of violent attack. I have a firearm nearby anyway. If anyone enters without identifying themselves they will likely be shot. I will then call the police as need for an ambulance will be very unlikely. I appreciate the advice about calling a defense lawyer as well.

My politics and economics are left of center but my position on self defense is absolute. Every person has a right to defend themselves, their partners and even strangers against violent assault using whatever they think appropriate.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I live in a "peaceful" neighborhood with little expectation of violent attack. I have a firearm nearby anyway. If anyone enters without identifying themselves they will likely be shot. I will then call the police as need for an ambulance will be very unlikely. I appreciate the advice about calling a defense lawyer as well.

My politics and economics are left of center but my position on self defense is absolute. Every person has a right to defend themselves, their partners and even strangers against violent assault using whatever they think appropriate.
I have 2 dogs that would raise hell if someone came in the house and an alarm system and a police station 2 minutes away. In fact you drive right by the police station at the entrance to our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies