Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Actually the French revolution is what inspired ours and inspired democracy on a worldly basis.
Vice versa. And they beheaded thousands and made Napoleon their dictator.

I gotta go with George Washington over the petit Corsican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times
Quote:
In Europe people get incentives to have kids too, in fact they are much better than here. Women often get a year or so of paid maternal leave and unpaid leave until the child is 3.
Then why is the birth rate in Europe lower than here?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,008,863 times
Why are Europeans smarter and more well rounded? Why do agenda driven people that are unable to intelligently support and defend their own beliefs start trolling threads based on inaccurate stereotypes in a vain attempt to make their belief systems appear superior?

Seriously OP, is this the best you can do in an effort to make those of us that disagree with you look bad? This thread and the premise behind it have got to be in the running for dumbest thread of the day.

Last edited by outbacknv; 03-13-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Because men don't get pregnant by having sex with men?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
No catholic Latin Americans?

Those generous benefits are a result of the low birth rate, many Asian countries are similar - they will make cash payments to couples that have children.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
Maybe because they finally realized that multiculturalism doesn't work

Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Yeah, I hate how they have a better standard of living, and are happier than us - that's just lame, the losers.

Yep, eveyone is happy to steal from those too young to do anything about it.

Debt external (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Economy

Be sure to let me know what sort of standard of living kids in Ireland have when they grow up.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Quote:
Every time I would travel to Europe I often noticed how well rounded and self aware mostly aware they were of political events. Now granted this is mostly experience with central European countries but it is similar to some varying degrees.

Overall most people seem to have a solid grasp on politics and people are often well informed and logical in their political decision making. This doesn't go to say people have disagreements or arguments but more often than not we don't have the political poo slinging we see here in the states.

Anyone want to share theories of why this is?

I personally believe firstly because our media plays much the population like puppets. MSNBC and Fox have the typical right and left wing bashing.

Secondly I think religious extremism plays the right wing more often to go out of line and make over the top statements. With religion not being widely practiced in Europe as it is in the USA we often have people thinking more logically and individually than hive minded through theological thoughts.

Another reason could be because of the fact European countries, Germany especially, have multiple popular political parties, forcing the population to become more agreeable rather than forcing to take one extreme side over another.

Overall I feel as though this is because of the lack of an extreme right wing in Europe. When I see rabble rousing in the states it is more often than not incited by extreme right wing groups making a very large deal or forcing issues down everyone's throats.

Anyone else care to share ideas?
I think if you truly believe this, you should consider repatriating to Europe..You would probably be happier there.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Actually the French revolution is what inspired ours and inspired democracy on a worldly basis.

Also Europe is a fine place, you should visit sometime.

Perhaps you would learn something.
Maybe the reason they seem to be so different may have something to do with the fact that you know very little about our history. We had our revolution from 1775 to a779 and theirs came about in 1787 as a starting year and was inspired by ours. Our revolution was against a European power who our people didn't want taxing them and keeping soldiers in their houses in order to force them to do things they didn't want to do. Ours ended with a Constitutional form of government and theirs ended with beheadings of the early revolutionary leaders. I don't think they wrote a constitution after theirs either.

I will answer your other questions in another post.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM

994 posts, read 724,676 times
Quote:
Every time I would travel to Europe I often noticed how well rounded and self aware mostly aware they were of political events. Now granted this is mostly experience with central European countries but it is similar to some varying degrees.

Overall most people seem to have a solid grasp on politics and people are often well informed and logical in their political decision making. This doesn't go to say people have disagreements or arguments but more often than not we don't have the political poo slinging we see here in the states.

Anyone want to share theories of why this is?
Since I don't believe it is true I can't share any theories as to why it is true.

Quote:
I personally believe firstly because our media plays much the population like puppets. MSNBC and Fox have the typical right and left wing bashing.
Fox doesn't bash anybody.

Quote:
Secondly I think religious extremism plays the right wing more often to go out of line and make over the top statements. With religion not being widely practiced in Europe as it is in the USA we often have people thinking more logically and individually than hive minded through theological thoughts.
Sounds like hogwash to me. Religious groups have very little influence over society at large. The vast majority of them are also compassionate and charitable. I've also never seen an American religious group tell anybody they couldn't have individual thoughts and there are dozens of different denominations peacefully coexisting in this country. So really it sounds like you just have a thing against religion because there doesn't appear to be much evidence supporting your contentions of theocratic thought police.

Quote:
Another reason could be because of the fact European countries, Germany especially, have multiple popular political parties, forcing the population to become more agreeable rather than forcing to take one extreme side over another.
Makes no sense. Doesn't matter how many political parties there are. Whether 2 parties need to reach a compromise or 20 parties need to reach a compromise doesn't matter. You either can or cannot compromise. The number of people you need to compromise with is irrelevant.

Quote:
Overall I feel as though this is because of the lack of an extreme right wing in Europe. When I see rabble rousing in the states it is more often than not incited by extreme right wing groups making a very large deal or forcing issues down everyone's throats.

Anyone else care to share ideas?
Yes, I feel as though it is because of the left always trying to force issues down everyone's throats. Healthcare mandates, healthy food, environmentalism, multiculturalism, gun control, etc.

See, the left takes a single issue that's important on the right, abortion, and makes that into the be-all and end-all of personal freedom. Meanwhile the left is shoving 20 other things down your throat. You can't even buy Happy Meals in the city limits of San Francisco for crying out loud. Talk about intruding on everyday life.

Even admitting that the right wants to ban abortion and the left wants freedom on it, that's only one issue. There's simply no comparison to the multiple things the left wants to regulate. Any rational freedom loving individual would have to be on the right wing, and thus your analysis of things seems quite backward.

Get back to me when I can pick my own health insurance, drive my car without a seatbelt, buy a gun whenever I want, get on an airplane without being strip searched, request the smoking section in a restaurant, pack my child's lunch without worrying about federal inspectors taking it away, say the pledge of allegiance, etc. Then you can go on about the right wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies