Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times

Advertisements

I think this sounds like a neat idea and the homeless people seem to like being able to make some money without a lot of hassles. But some people think its not right, complaining that it is dehumanizing and separating the haves & have nots. What do you think?

"Homeless hot spots" began as a charitable experiment at the SXSW Interactive conference in Austin, Texas, but quickly morphed into a debate about the ethics of bridging the digital divide."

Homeless hotspot: Criticism, sarcasm - latimes.com
Company Pays Homeless To Be Wifi Hotspots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
After my first initial reaction of "huh", I actually looked into it a bit more. I too think this is a novel idea. Kind of a win win situation. The homeless earn some money and mobile hotspots are created. It's just that initial what the... that you must get over to see its value.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Well I don't get it. Are they wandering around airports and train stations? Who would pay some guy for wifi access then watch em wander off and you lose connection? Why would they stand there until your done surfing or whatever? Do groups of people wander around behind em messaging away on their cell phones? Somehow in this insane tweetybird,facebook, texting insanity that has become the US I can see that. LOL

Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I don't get it. Are they wandering around airports and train stations? Who would pay some guy for wifi access then watch em wander off and you lose connection? Why would they stand there until your done surfing or whatever? Do groups of people wander around behind em messaging away on their cell phones? Somehow in this insane tweetybird,facebook, texting insanity that has become the US I can see that. LOL
I just brainstormed a idea, the out in the country places with no internet service we can ship in the homeless. Strap the devices to them and stretch them out for miles. We can get a gvt loan and then go bankrupt but before that give ourselves 500 thousand $ bonuses. Are you in? anybody?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
If you have em wear green shirts and tout it as green wifi then I'm sure Obama would kick some money your way.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I think it's a good idea. It's a way for the marginally employable to provide a benefit to society. My only concern is that some will attack them and steal their wireless devices.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think it's a good idea. It's a way for the marginally employable to provide a benefit to society. My only concern is that some will attack them and steal their wireless devices.
It's more likely the homeless will steal the device and sell it or trade it for something.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's more likely the homeless will steal the device and sell it or trade it for something.
If the program is ran like the street newspaper ones, there will be controls in place that will keep that from happening. I'm a little worried about having homeless people wandering around with an advertisement that they are carrying something valuable though.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well, it sounds like you pay them for 15 minute increments of service. You pay whatever you want. The company doing this guarantees them $50 for 6 hours of work. I think they just stay stationary for that time.

It is a bit weird; but seems like the Homeless like the idea. I think it eliminates the bureaucratic paperwork & formality involved in most jobs that scare off the Homeless. Anyway, interesting idea. Worth a good old, entrepreneurial try.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Well, it sounds like you pay them for 15 minute increments of service. You pay whatever you want. The company doing this guarantees them $50 for 6 hours of work. I think they just stay stationary for that time.

It is a bit weird; but seems like the Homeless like the idea. I think it eliminates the bureaucratic paperwork & formality involved in most jobs that scare off the Homeless. Anyway, interesting idea. Worth a good old, entrepreneurial try.
I've seen the model work with street newspapers. It works pretty well for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies