Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,359,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezuniga View Post
You're funny. I have two bachelors degrees and earn less than a sergeant would, even a private . I have plenty of education and very little money to brag about. I'm a prior military veteran with eight years of military service. While I think calling the salary too much is not the right way to refer to military wages, I think calling it "nice check" would be appropriate. Think about it, who makes $28 dollars an hour with no education? I was an E-5. What company pays you additional cash to eat and to pay for your apartment? I knew many people who out in town would rent together and take advantage of the system and use their BAH to pocket the money. The problem is we're not honest. How many people who go to Iraq actually go outside the wire? There were many people who exercised the whole time they were there and come here and believe they deserve the President of the United States to kiss their feet. For what???? Now, don't take me wrong I knew people who deserve every penny if not more. Seals? ---without a shadow of doubt, they deserve it!!!!!!!! Someone who does secretarial work ---forget it!!!!! Those people make less than eight dollars in the civilian sector. Military folks ask to compensated for their sacrifice, lets have everyone in the military checked for their sacrifices---you would be surprised, many incompentent people are leading our troops because laziness sometimes gets rewarded.
After reading your post I'd have to say if you were ever actually in the military, you were probably kicked out for smoking dope, and obviously you still have the habit lol.
Sorry, fiction amuses me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 PM

447 posts, read 494,764 times
Any data or source link? If there is comparison among nations, it will be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
What do you think?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:27 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well Skittle, here's my honest opinion..... During times of war, like now, no, they are underpaid if anything. During times of peace, yeah, I think they're overpaid....

Help me get my facts straight (and I'm serious, not being nasty). Military personell don't make that great of money or anything usually, BUT get free housing and such, right??? What does the government provide that a civilian would have to provide for themselves??? I'm unsure, but it makes a difference in answering your question.
Do you realize that military members give up alot of the same rights that you as a civilian?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Let's see... you get "free" housing for yourself. As for "military housing" you must be an E-3 or greater, have a family, and be put on a waiting list (the list is pretty huge in my area.....).. Then, maybe if you're lucky, you might get to live in it about a year before being moved to a different base.

As for pay, E1 and E2 are in the "SOL" group because you don't get enough pay to live off of base. It's about $1300-1400/month. You don't qualify for housing allowances *to live off base* until you make E3... then you have to apply for it, and you might get denied for any number of reasons.

Military Pay charts and allowances (http://www.dfas.mil/army2/militarypa...ycharts-cc.pdf - broken link)

Officers can make a pretty penny... but the base pay of the enlisted... is shoddy at best.

Even out of times of war, the military don't get paid enough for what they do. Not everybody in the military is a "grab a gun and go shoot" person. Military hospitals? Those are military personnel working there... and 9 times out of 10 making less than their civilian counterparts.

The free healthcare bit... it's only free if you go to a military hospital. Military dependents usually get seen outside of the military hospital, where there are co-pays and such. This much I do know from experience. Civilians may not get "free" health insurance (Except welfare), but most get it through their jobs, so.. since this is their job, why not?

Free housing.. the barracks or whatever you want to call them.... it's not as "great" as you'd think. In a lot of places, the barracks are 60+ years old, cockroach infested and downright nasty. But some bases really maintain their barracks. I'd rather room with 3 or 4 other personnel off base. Even without housing allowances.
Right on explanation!

I think whoever thinks that the military get paid too much should join and find out for themselves. I was in the military working in the hospital, and another thing that people don't know is that many of the larger military hospitals are teaching facilities. This means that the "free care" most of the time is done by new doctors in training. OPPS

Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
I did not read the entire thread but want to post my first thought to the OP's question

No they are not paid too much.. in fact they should be paid more. I appreciate what they do even if they are on standby here in the U.S. I think that if you go oversees, especially to a war zone pay rates should go much higher. I'm not so sure I would be able to do what they do.... if anyone here is in the armed services I want to say thank you.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Look ask the Salvadoran army how much they get paid!!!! They serve their military because they were forced to (some) and did not have the f'n privilege to "volunteer." You complain about being in a hole, I am sorry but that's like me complaining for doing hospital work all day!!. You chose that career, deal with it!!!! I certainly dont get an additional check to rent out in town and buy food. What do you do on the weekends? Drink booze, take yourselves out to club to go on the hunt for women whom you can marry, have babies and complain that the military ought to treat you extra especial for your family.
Huh, the last time that I checked the Salvadoran Army was not a super power either and the country's economy is not the strongest, so how can they possibly pay/treat their military the same? Not to mention how often do you hear of them going on deployments all over the world?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,701,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
After reading your post I'd have to say if you were ever actually in the military, you were probably kicked out for smoking dope, and obviously you still have the habit lol.
Sorry, fiction amuses me.

You beat me to it!!!!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
SOOOO, what do you think about the perks Politicians have for not doing their job?

I would advise you to talk to a disabled Vet or even one that gave 20 + years of his/her life to this country... say those exact others to him or her and see what happens.

So what other industry send people to foreign countries to fight in combat?

Do you have any Veterans in your family?

EXACTLY!!! Politicians work less then teachers and get paid along with the perks 3-5x more. Hell they get more days off than everyone else and still can't get stuff done!!

Oh and btw, they don't even have a union!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,667,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You beat me to it!!!!
What the OP said is true for the most part. And I do agree with him.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,359,817 times
Quote:
Look ask the Salvadoran army how much they get paid!!!! They serve their military because they were forced to (some) and did not have the f'n privilege to "volunteer." You complain about being in a hole, I am sorry but that's like me complaining for doing hospital work all day!!. You chose that career, deal with it!!!! I certainly dont get an additional check to rent out in town and buy food. What do you do on the weekends? Drink booze, take yourselves out to club to go on the hunt for women whom you can marry, have babies and complain that the military ought to treat you extra especial for your family.
Seems to me you're the one that's complaining haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies