Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:26 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

It's always amazing to see the complete and total ignorance about life in the military from those who seem to hate the military. Speaking from the Navy, while serving onboard ship, we ate free on the ship. Our families had to buy food. Our uniforms were not free. The cost of our initial uniform issue was taken out of our paycheck in bootcamp and we had to buy our own replacement uniforms after that. Though the food on the ship was free, it wasn't even 2 or 3 star quality. Soon as a cook showed he had talent, the officers would snatch him up for their messdecks. Working in the engineroom, we put in 18 hour workdays for 7 days a week and 6 months a year without overtime pay. In the mid to late 90s my gross pay was $1515 a month and I was running electric generators and a water treatment plant. I slept on a two inch thick sponge mattress with a feather pillow. We all slept in coffin like boxes no more than 2 feet from at least 5 other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Ask the guys and gals who have lost limbs or suffered serious life changing injuries if they got paid too much. Ask the families that have lost loved ones if those loved ones got rich before they died.
Big company CEO's make millions and only make products or provide domestic services.
Military people put their lives on the line for a pittance compared to what some civilians make who never in everyday life have to experience life threatening danger.
Militiary people are keeping you free to live your life as an American.
And you ask if they are over paid?
I wish you could be drafted.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:34 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
What do you think?
I think anyone who thinks the military is overpaid needs to serve for a while in a rifle company. Find out first hand how bad it really is out there, and see that you take for granted every day, like decent food, a bed, a hot shower, clean socks, not having sand in your ears, not dealing with some wet behind the ears second lieutenant with something to prove and so on.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 AM

194 posts, read 1,028,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearofretribution View Post
Well lets look at this. They have to go to one of the most dangerous places in the world. Put their lives in jeopardy for a cause they probably do not understand or know anything about. And you are complaining about how much money they make. I have been in the military and have worked in the private sector. In my experience soldiers are grossly underpaid and are essentially indentured servants. Gaining a skill, that skill may or may not be usable out of the army, given food, shelter is provided for them, and maybe even a small wage. Have you ever even been the military? Or are you just speaking from your limited experience or second hand information, because your reasoning is not only flawed, hopefully due to lack of experience, but more likely due to a some mental deficiency but completely idiotic. Before you start making outrageous claims please have some sort of intelligence basis for posting on the internet. If I were you I would be embarrassed that my ignorance and complete idiocy is on display for the entire world. Oh by the way you are welcome that I and my fellow servicemen are willing to put our lives in mortal danger in order to allow you voice your simple minded and obviously asinine beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Ask the guys and gals who have lost limbs or suffered serious life changing injuries if they got paid too much. Ask the families that have lost loved ones if those loved ones got rich before they died.
Big company CEO's make millions and only make products or provide domestic services.
Military people put their lives on the line for a pittance compared to what some civilians make who never in everyday life have to experience life threatening danger.
Militiary people are keeping you free to live your life as an American.
And you ask if they are over paid?
I wish you could be drafted.

Ok, I hope you are NOT referring to me. I'm a military spouse and my husband is deployed for the third time now, leaving me behind with a 4 month old.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 17,491 times
I think its pretty disgusting that military gets FREE housing to live where ever you want and FREE food, $1300 tax free per month on top of their basic pay, basic pay averaging like $30,000 per year over 8 years enlisted. thats $46,000 per year, a lot of it tax free. I dont know what these military people are complaining about. Then they get FREE education that costs normal people thousands. The US economy is tanking now because it has to print and borrow all this money to pay for things we cant afford. and tanking the value of normal citizens dollars that dont get all this free stuff, so that military can buy booze, tvs and cars. I lived in Colo Springs for 10 years surrounded by bases, saw it go down. meanwhile I'm struggling with a basic job in the REAL economy without all these free bonuses.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlke View Post
I think its pretty disgusting that military gets FREE housing to live where ever you want and FREE food, $1300 tax free per month on top of their basic pay, basic pay averaging like $30,000 per year over 8 years enlisted. thats $46,000 per year, a lot of it tax free. I dont know what these military people are complaining about. Then they get FREE education that costs normal people thousands. The US economy is tanking now because it has to print and borrow all this money to pay for things we cant afford. and tanking the value of normal citizens dollars that dont get all this free stuff, so that military can buy booze, tvs and cars. I lived in Colo Springs for 10 years surrounded by bases, saw it go down. meanwhile I'm struggling with a basic job in the REAL economy without all these free bonuses.
You obviously have never been in the military because you don't what the h..l you are talking about.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
What do you think?
No, but fat cat Military-Industrial Complex contractors and corporations get paid too much.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Uh...

Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:

What a useless post...We now understand you hate the military...

Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM

760 posts, read 685,545 times
Quote:
Then they get FREE education that costs normal people thousands.
You forgot a few things

Our tuition is paid for through the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but that's not all! We also get books paid for, up to $1000 a year along with basic housing allowance paid out each month equivalent to E-5 with dependent for the school's zip code.

...and to top it off, folks like myself who enlisted in Texas get something that is called the Hazlewood Act. My child now has access to 150 hours towards a state school.

You mad bro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies