Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Please be my guest and point out all the weapons present during Bush's visits to Iraq, which I believe at the time was a war zone. Was Bush terrified of the troops or as Gradybaabaa pointed out this has been SOP fir a long time?

Defense.gov News Article: Military Surge Working, Bush Tells Troops in Iraq

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Afghan Soldiers Told to Come Unarmed to Panetta Meeting - Bloomberg

Quote:
Marine Major General Charles “Mark” Gurganus, the new NATO International Security and Assistance Force commander for the area that covers Helmand Province, said he ordered the American and other coalition soldiers to turn in their weapons to avoid signaling that their Afghan allies can’t be trusted.

“Somebody had said we were going to have the Afghans leave their weapons outside,” said Gurganus. “I wanted the Marines to look just like our Afghan partners.”
Now, all the REMF's start yapping re: treason & yellow bellied crap to a Marine Major General. You won't, b/c you're cowards and beyond thinking for yourselves.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Looks like the Sec. of Defense doesn't trust those he serves.
What a puss.
Think they know that the G.I's are tired of fighting wars that have no defined plan or moral efficacy?
“All I know is I was told to get the weapons out,” he said. Asked why, he replied: “Somebody got itchy — that’s all I’ve got to say. Somebody got itchy. We just adjust.”

Normally, American forces in Afghanistan keep their weapons when the defense secretary visits and speaks to them. The Afghans in the tent had not been armed to begin with, as is typical.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/wo...e.html?_r=1&hp
And? What's your point? If the highest ranking office in the room told them to drop and do 20 he or she would get 20. It's the military. Let them do what they do and stop politicizing silly things.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I just heard this story on the radio. Sounds outrageous! What is happening to our military? To our country? Something is sooooooo not right.
What's happening to our military?

Occupying a country that doesn't want to be occupied for ten years -- start there.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

Now, all the REMF's start yapping re: treason & yellow bellied crap to a Marine Major General. You won't, b/c you're cowards and beyond thinking for yourselves.
Gotta spread the love before I can rep you again.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I LOL at the idea of an unarmed Afghan. Afghan men are armed as soon as they can carry a knife.

IMHO Panetta should have been carrying a weapon as well as everyone else. How else is he going to really understand just how dangerous a place it is?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

Love it, thanks.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Looks like the Sec. of Defense doesn't trust those he serves.
What a puss.
Think they know that the G.I's are tired of fighting wars that have no defined plan or moral efficacy?

From the Article;
In a sign of the nervousness surrounding the trip, a sergeant major abruptly told the Marines gathered to hear Mr. Panetta in a tent at Camp Leatherneck to get up, place their M-16 and M-4 automatic rifles and 9-millimeter pistols outside, and return unarmed. The sergeant major, Brandon Hall, told reporters that he was acting on orders.

“All I know is I was told to get the weapons out,” he said. Asked why, he replied: “Somebody got itchy — that’s all I’ve got to say. Somebody got itchy. We just adjust.”

Normally, American forces in Afghanistan keep their weapons when the defense secretary visits and speaks to them. The Afghans in the tent had not been armed to begin with, as is typical.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/wo...e.html?_r=1&hp

From your link:

Later, American officials said that the top military official in Helmand,Maj. Gen. Mark Gurganus, had decided on Tuesday that no one would be armed while Mr. Panetta spoke, but that word had not reached those in charge in the tent until shortly before Mr. Panetta was due to arrive.

General Gurganus told reporters later that he had wanted a consistent policy for everyone in the tent, and that “I wanted to have the Marines look just like their Afghan partners,” noting, “You’ve got one of the most important people in the world in the room.” He insisted that his decision had had nothing to do with the massacre; later, defense officials said the decision had had nothing to do with the truck at the airfield.

In his remarks to the Marines, Mr. Panetta vowed to not allow the Kandahar killings to accelerate the American withdrawal from Afghanistan. “We will be challenged by our enemies. We will be challenged by ourselves. We will be challenged by the hell of war itself,” he said.

Seriously, dude, are you so blinded by your own partisanism that you fail to realize this was an order from a Marine General, and that Panetta had nothing to do with it?

You failed to read the article in full, and cherry-picked the "quote" to Prove--what?

Epic fail on multiple levels.

Shame on you.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The base commander wanted the US Army and the Afghans to look the same..weaponless.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
It made sense . We obviously don't and can't trust the afghan soldiers( with good reason) and having them turn in their weapons while our soldiers kept theirs would further **** them off and get their bhurkas in a twist. So the marine sget insulted a little. They can handle it. They have insane scum trying to kill them over there, this was an ice cream social by comparison.
So why did Panetta go? Is the situation that bad now? He doesn't instill much confidence in anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies