Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I'm not judging, I'm just curious for an answer. I was reading this article in the LA Times this morning:

Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Maybe it correlates with religion. I'm guessing, but it seems those without college degrees are more likely to be evangelical, and thus identify with Republicans on social issues.
This is so easy to answer.
Everybody knows that when someone goes to college all of their common sense is sucked right out of them and can't think for themselves anymore.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's another related question: why is it that so many Democrats, even with all of their college degrees, commit the logical fallacy of 'begging the question,' i.e. assuming to be true that which is to be proven.
begging the question - logical fallacies - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Because this is one of a half dozen daily threads that pop up where the extreme partisan nutjobs bicker back and forth using bad logic and more fallacies than you can shake a stick at.

I have NO doubt that we have at least 1/2 dozen regulars here that I wouldn't bet on to pass a mental competancy test.

So, you just have to have fun with the threads, there will be a new one tomorrow liked the threads about Obama killing eagles or the 1% republican leaving the $1 tip (hoax) or how the other party has a low IQ and blah blah blah blah......

Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Why are "liberal" arts degrees, by and large, useless and transition people into some of the least productive jobs in the market???

Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
SAY WHAT? Your college ID is required for class registration, entering most school facilities, meal plans, computer centers and much much more.

While some of what you say is valid, overall I disagree. My niece attends college where she now only socializes with people that share her worldviews. If anything she is growning less open-minded because you can select a college, a program at the college and what classes to attend and completely isolate yourself from the variety of individuals you may have crossed paths with in your youth. I've met highly educated liberals and conservatives that are utterly closed minded because they hit age 18 and have isolated themselves to a comfortable environment ever since.
I'm talking about the specific gov't issued ID that are being proposed, not general ID cards like school IDs.

Even if she is growing less open-minded, she's made the choice to go down that road after being exposed to an alternative. At the very least, she's been exposed to more than just what the like-minded people around her think.

There's a study on people's opinion of gay marriage. When you know someone who's gay, your opposition to gay marriage is substantially less than if you don't. That thinking & exposure is a cornerstone of Liberals and the antithesis of being a Conservative.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
because all the best paying jobs are in liberal states and cities i guess...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM

371 posts, read 816,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The OP is implying that people (i.e. Democrats, liberals) who earn college degrees somehow possess a higher intelligence than those who don't have a secondary education (i.e. vocational workers, rural, socially conservative whites and blacks).

In my book, anybody who allows himself to go into hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt in order to get a worthless piece of paper that has never guaranteed him a good paying job (liberal arts degrees, lol) makes the college 'elite' the dummies.

On top of that, your commencement speaker was Snooki. Now there's an intellectual college grads in debt should emulate.
I'm not trying to imply that. In fact, I'm not trying to argue anything, I'm just citing the article. For the most part, intelligence is something you are born with, not something you learn in school. In school, you learn skills, habits and facts -- and are pushed into realizing your born intelligance.

And, a college degree is not worthless piece of paper. It's pretty common knowledge that those with college degrees earn much more over their lifetimes then those without -- generally speaking. Going to college does not make you more intelligence, but it gives you skills and a background that makes employers want to pay your more. That is a fact.

Also, those posters who proclaim to refute the survey by proclaiming that they are college-educated, and republican. That is of not much help. Even considering survey data, there are millions like you. That doesn't take away from the fact that you are in the minority.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Most institutions of higher learning are overwhelmingly liberal. The indoctrination starts there.

So it isn't any suprprise that when students graduate from those very universities, their thinking starts to reflect the views of that institution.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Maybe cause us unedjumakated people haznt ben indoktrain8ted.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Maybe cause us unedjumakated people haznt ben indoktrain8ted.
Did a lolcat get a city data user account?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'm talking about the specific gov't issued ID that are being proposed, not general ID cards like school IDs.

Even if she is growing less open-minded, she's made the choice to go down that road after being exposed to an alternative. At the very least, she's been exposed to more than just what the like-minded people around her think.

There's a study on people's opinion of gay marriage. When you know someone who's gay, your opposition to gay marriage is substantially less than if you don't. That thinking & exposure is a cornerstone of Liberals and the antithesis of being a Conservative.
Every public school ID are specific govt issued ID's. University of IL in my case. I used my governtmnet issued ID many times a day in college and less than once a week now. The idea that college students understand why people don't have ID's is just flat out busted.

Seriously you can't tell me that the liberals in PETA, various environmental organizations and so forth are more open minded than some conservative bible thumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies