Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Yeah, they have a specific subforum just for the survivalists and doomsday "preppers" so that would be the appropriate place for threads like this.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I've watched a few episodes of Doomsday Preppers, and I'm appalled at the lengths people go to prepare for a catastrophe. Why are people doing this? Are any of you preppers?
Can you read the threads of the forum? That'll pretty much answer your question of who is, and who isn't.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Can you read the threads of the forum? That'll pretty much answer your question of who is, and who isn't.
Yep - the ones who aren't prepared think that President Obama will save them when the something hits the fan.

They also tend to have voted for the man - twice.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Spending half a million dollars on a shelter, and depleting your families savings is stupid, and shows you need go talk to a therapist.

Having a bug out kit, and living self sufficiently is smart.

There is a difference in the amount of preparedness.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
I've watched a few episodes of Doomsday Preppers, and I'm appalled at the lengths people go to prepare for a catastrophe. Why are people doing this? Are any of you preppers?
I have ~2 months worth of food and water along with the usual stuff that FEMA and the local emergency officials say is good to have on hand. Yes, that's more than likely over kill but it is nice to know if there is an earthquake I'm set and have a little extra to share with my neighbors should they need help. I do not consider myself a survivalist/prepper because those wackos are almost always planning for the end of the world which is what moves them from sane people following sound disaster preparedness guidelines to mentally ill nutjobs who fervently hope and dream of becoming the next Mad Max.

Rational wiki perfectly describes why survivalist/preppers are nuts and why they're not just normal people dealing logically with fact based risk assessments.

Survivalism - RationalWiki

Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There is a difference in the amount of preparedness.
Sure, and not everyone wants to be as prepared as some of the people on the show.

What I don't understand is the level of criticism that they receive.

How are they hurting anybody?

If anything, they are helping society because they won't require public assistance - they are independent,

My theory is that liberal politicians feel threatened when people become self sufficent.

It means that those people don't think that they need the liberals to take care of them from cradle to grave.

If liberal politicians can't do that - then they feel unwanted - and purposeless.

Actually, that is the message that they should receive and process.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yep - the ones who aren't prepared think that President Obama will save them when the something hits the fan.

They also tend to have voted for the man - twice.
If you think so.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
What are the chances of an event happening? A widespread blackout is highly unlikely being that power companies have backup infrastructure in an event of a power outage.
You sound like a someone that hasn't sown two weeks without power and seen a mad dash of about 200 cars (yes mad dash, not a organized line) of people at a gas station that led to full on fights.

Fights in grociery stores over the last gallon of water, 2 days before a storm, even though there is a full aisle of soda ready to be bought dumped and refilled with tapwater.

Yes there is insurance, infrastructure and fema will fix it all!

When the rality is fema takes a week to come, insurance companies go under, and its not uncommon to see blue tarps on people's roofs for over a year.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sure, and not everyone wants to be as prepared as some of the people on the show.

What I don't understand is the level of criticism that they receive.

How are they hurting anybody?

If anything, they are helping society because they won't require public assistance - they are independent,

My theory is that liberal politicians feel threatened when people become self sufficent.

It means that those people don't think that they need the liberals to take care of them from cradle to grave.

If liberal politicians can't do that - then they feel unwanted - and purposeless.

Actually, that is the message that they should receive and process.

The only ones that bother me are the ones who force their family into a lifestyle they don't support, and bankrupt themselves for a situation that, odds are, will never happen.

I think that's the criticism from most folks. But hey, if you're bill gates, and you want a million dollar bug out location with food and water for three years, go for it. But if your joe schmo, might want to live within your means. Life's to short to spend everything on a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies