Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yep anti-smoking campaigns just don't work
The report’s figures relating to smokers, 18 years and older, show that the number of smokers in the population dropped by 0.3% from 2005 to 2009 and then a further 1.3% of the population stopped smoking by 2010. Although a small percentage - 1.6%, this drop equates to three million fewer smokers than if no decline had occurred. The drop was from 20.9% in 2005 to 20.6% in 2009 and then 19.3% in 2010.
Smokers Numbers Drop in U.S. - Webctor.com

Let's see spending $54 million to reduce the $72 billion in annual health care cost due to smoking. Absolutely ridiculous waste of taxpayer money

Will sanity ever return?
You had to have had some, in order for it to return.

Tell me. Where, in the article, does it say anything about the declining number of smoking adults being directly related to some multi-million dollar government program.

And tell me this as well. Where does it indicate how many teens are smoking?

Interestingly enough, the article DOES say that increasing the price of cigarettes HAS led to lower numbers of people smoking.

Perhaps you need to do more thinking before you post snarky comments with the little eye-roll emoticon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
So we have a debt problem and instead of using the money to pay off the debt or balance the books... we spend 54 million on an anti-smoking campaign? I swear these people are idiots.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Who will fund Children's health care if
they're successful in stopping smoking?
They're spending money to lose money.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The only thing that would do is to fire up a very healthy black market for cigarettes.....and all of the crime that would come with it.
Exactly, people need to learn the lessons about the failures of the war on drugs and increased crime is the largest failure.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was large black market now, I can make a carton a smokes in about 1/2 an hour for about $10 and that is with basic manual machine. Retail that costs about $60. Let's say I sold them for $40, $60 an hour isn't chump change.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
.......they could make several million in taxes.

All those taxes would get gobbled up by enforcement and increased costs associated with crime.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Oh, God, another smoking thread! I should have my head examined for even thinking about posting here. However, fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I have never been a smoker (never taken a single toke), so I can't speak from experience. BUT....both of my parents were smokers. As a youth, I railed and railed to get them to stop smoking and it didn't happen until after I was an adult. Since then, my mother has convinced me that a person must be ready to stop smoking before they'll actually stop. It has to originate from within the person......a government anti-smoking campaign will never trump personal motivation when addiction is involved.
Well, your mom is right, of course.

Some people "quit" numerous times before they quit for good. But who knows what motivates them to do that final quit? Saying these programs are useless is like saying advertising doesn't work, and we have a huge advertising industry to prove that wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Wait a minute, smoking is bad for you? Why didnt anyone ever tell me that lighting something on fire and sucking in the fumes was bad for you?
Believe it or not, it took a lot of government "advertising" to get people to the point that they thought it was bad for you. People, egged on by the cigarette industry, railed against anyone that thought smoking was bad for you, for decades.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I also wonder what could motivate people to quit smoking. My father used to smoke a lot, and quit repeatedly, he did try. But he was a rather weak, troubled man. But one day he quit for good. I guess he was simply scared of health problems, back then there were more and more reports about the risks of smoking. Money was also an issue, cigarettes became more and more expensive.
I am glad I never smoked in my life

In the US I assume many people reject such campaigns because they consider it social engineering. They are like teenagers who don't want their parents to tell them when they are doing something they shouldn't be doing. The same general rejection as when Mrs Obama tells kids to eat healthier foods etc. Like, it's none of your business, we have the goddamn right to ruin our health ^^

Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
The $54m is a good investment.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I believe this has more to do with a cultural shift then it does with a stop-smoking campaign. Smoking just isn't as socially accepted as it used to be. That's likely driving the figures more than government efforts.
How in the frack does one achieve a frack'n "cultural shift"

Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Waste of money. People will smoke no matter what. This money could be better spent/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies